Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > Console World

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-16-07, 10:32 AM   #1
Am_I_Evil

Default My 360 on the way out

well it looks like my 360 might be on the way out...i was streaming a video file from my computer upstairs when the system shut off and had three flashing red lights....

i turned it off and it came right back on and i am able to watch the files fine...but i have a feeling if that happened once it will probably happen again soon...

i've had horrible luck this gen....first my PS3 died and i sent it back (no issues since then running folding@home basically 24/7 [except for when gaming/watching a movie] to make sure it stays that way..might as well have it working at all times so if its gonna crash it will do it sooner than later)..then my Wii had artifacting issues so i sent it back and its been fine...now my 360 seems to be on the verge of death...wtf?

and no its not my fault...they are all in an open area and have plenty of room to breathe (and its always a little cold in here)...and like i said the systems that have died on me have been completely fine since they were either fixed (the Wii) or replaced (the PS3)
Am_I_Evil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-07, 10:49 AM   #2
Lyme

Default Re: My 360 on the way out

Your 360 is in the process of dying. You may want to keep pushing the system until it gives the RROD on a regular basis before calling in to xbox support.
Lyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-07, 10:52 AM   #3
Am_I_Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyme
Your 360 is in the process of dying. You may want to keep pushing the system until it gives the RROD on a regular basis before calling in to xbox support.

actually i'm not sure now...when it happened the lights flashed in the house a little but i didn't really think about it...and then it didn't red light this time but we just had another little power surge where the lights flashed in the house...

so i'm wondering if maybe it was just a power surge that caused the f-up....

oh well i guess i'll find out soon enough....
Am_I_Evil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-07, 12:11 PM   #4
Lyme

Either way, I'd keep using it just as you usually would, and should it start showing signs of dying, ensure that the signs are regularly reproducible.

Personally I really like the 360, games, and functionality, but the build quality leaves a heck of a lot to be desired. My first 360 died just short of two years from the RROD, and that replacement (which had the new heatsink) would take forever to power on and wouldn't recognize the network, hard drive, any games, etc. While I'm waiting for packaging to return my second 360 in, I went out and bought the arcade pack so I'd have a replacement during the interm (yes, sounds stupid, but anyhow).
Old 12-16-07, 12:19 PM   #5
KasuCode
Wiley

Send a message via AIM to KasuCode

Thats how mine died. I had about 2 warnings of redlights then the day halo 3 came out it was dead.

When i got my xbox back it has the new gpu heatsink and all that, so the problems should be fixed.

I would try to kill it now if your not playing much so when GTA4 or another game you really want comes out you have a fresh xbox.

Check Out
~CrossWater~
KasuCode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-07, 12:45 PM   #6
Imbroglio
xeroyphyte

yeah, if it is going to break, now it the time. i had my original break back in september, they sent me a new one (a little over 2 weeks wait). when i got the "fixed" one back, it didn't even work, sound like there were pieces rattling around inside (assumed it was from the shipping). Called up support, they overnighted a new coffin, sent it back overnight, and had a new system in a week. It has the new heatsink, even though the manufacturing date is 11/06. Currently running mass effect very well, doesn't seem to hiccup is the same places that I've seen other systems stutter on, the new system also sounds alot quieter. I'm happy, can't wait for GTA4

HT: 360 -- Sony60A3000 -- Onkyo SR605 --> Polk cs2, monitor 60s and monitor 40s w/ Bic F12 sub -- PS3
XBL:Mr X3r0 -- PSN:Mr_X3r0

Rig- Asus P6X58D Premium - intel i7 920 @3.6 - EVGA GTX570 - Corsair HX1000 - Prolimatech Mega Shadow - WD640 - COOLER MASTER ATCS 840 - OCZ Gold 6GB DDR3 1600*

Imbroglio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-07, 04:39 PM   #7
LycosV

General note to anyone: If the 360 ever locks up turn it back on immediatly. Alot of the crashes are caused by overheat and if you turn it back on the fans will fire up and cool the sucker off. If you leave it off after the lock, the heat will just sort of linger.

I was having problems with mine flashing red and crashing sometimes so I got one of the new nyko intercooler ex's. Sure it's loud but it definatly sucks heat out of the thing and I haven't had any problems since.
LycosV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-07, 05:25 PM   #8
npras42
Hi Everybody!

Similarly to what everyone said above, when my 360 died it took about a week. RROD came on once or twice but then booted fine after a couple of tries. Had a few hangups and then one day just wouldn't boot past RROD.

Yours may be on the same road so I'd look out! Pretty piss-poor timing for you if it is broken so close to christmas.
npras42 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-16-07, 06:48 PM   #9
fizzelopeguss

my laser is dying.
fizzelopeguss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-07, 06:50 PM   #10
ViN86

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzelopeguss
my laser is dying.
sounds like a personal problem.
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-07, 06:55 PM   #11
Lyme

I've also found out that the repair/replacement policy in Canada and the USA is different. In the USA they will try to repair your unit, or send you a refurb, and as a last resort a new unit. In Canada, they send you a new unit (however that doesn't mean they will send you the latest model).
Old 12-17-07, 10:28 AM   #12
msxyz
Hybrid Microprocessor

When my Xbox 360 died back in february 2006, they sent me a brand new unit (with the quiet drive, too) in one week.

Policy may change from country to country though. For example, I've seen truckloads of official bundles here in the shops: almost every "big" game got its bundle starting from spring 2006.