Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > MMORPGs

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-15-08, 11:32 AM   #49
Rakeesh

Default Re: End game...is it the end for some?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son Goku
Oh, and constantly running behind people can be annoying; but no more so then when a lock constantly DoTs and chain fears the whole time.
Yeah I've been hit by that a few times. In some cases it has worked to my advantage, got me some distance from the grind so I could heal.

I need to learn to be able to spot these things as they are being cast, because as a tauren druid I have many ways of stopping them in their tracks. If I would have dropped a stun on that 25 pally while he was healing for example, I definitely would have won. Problem is I've never seen a pally heal before so I didn't know how to recognize it. It doesn't look the same as the druid heal.

Locks are definitely a problem for me though, in that I have much more difficulty against them than other classes. I think beating them is a matter of being able to time my attacks correctly and being able to anticipate what attacks they might use next. The fear thing can only be used three times I think, and so long as I use cat form I can always retreat and heal until he simply can't cast it anymore, then finish him off.

Core i7 2600k 4.4Ghz 1.385v | Corsair H60 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 8-8-8-24 | MSI P67A-G45 | OCZ Vertex 3 | Sapphire 7850 OC to Max settings

Rakeesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-08, 03:59 PM   #50
Dvahlish

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaWolf_HK
Yeah I've been hit by that a few times. In some cases it has worked to my advantage, got me some distance from the grind so I could heal.

I need to learn to be able to spot these things as they are being cast, because as a tauren druid I have many ways of stopping them in their tracks. If I would have dropped a stun on that 25 pally while he was healing for example, I definitely would have won. Problem is I've never seen a pally heal before so I didn't know how to recognize it. It doesn't look the same as the druid heal.

Locks are definitely a problem for me though, in that I have much more difficulty against them than other classes. I think beating them is a matter of being able to time my attacks correctly and being able to anticipate what attacks they might use next. The fear thing can only be used three times I think, and so long as I use cat form I can always retreat and heal until he simply can't cast it anymore, then finish him off.
You know what....sometimes, your just gonna get killed and thats the way PVP goes.
Your not going to be able to save yourself from every race and class that decides your going down.

As for locks.
They are overpowered and I dont even bother with them.

Even if you can determine what they are going to use (normally 3 or 4 dots to start with, COA is the killer) then a minion attacking you, while that fire at you with shadow bolt and a wand, if your really tough they will more than likely fear and death coil you.

So....even if you can determine whats coming next, there isnt a lot you can do about it once the onslaught begins.

Personally, I have never been one to sort out and hunt down alli for the sake of it.
I find questing and levelling much more important and after lvl 30+, there is plenty of alli about whether you hunt them down or not (For example Hillsbrad and STV)
I tend to save it for the BG's, where it really matters.

Infact, since I hot the Outlands, there have been times when I have quested with and actually enjoyed the company of some alli.
Last night I completed 2 quests and assisted a Draenei Shammy.
It was actually really cool.

I find it a waste of time to attack, unless attacked, or unless I am in BG's...which seems to be a lot these days.
Old 01-15-08, 05:31 PM   #51
Dvahlish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son Goku
Over on Barthilas, I have a horde guy, and someone who I met first day I bought the game moved his main there (undead mage, now in SSC). All in all, it isn't too bad (OK, Hillsbrad started to see some PvP action, as Tarren Mill and SS are favorite spots to farm ), and I have no idea what STV will be like. I think that would be the first challenge, as the lvl spread there is like 30-50....
I have levelled 4 toons through these areas now and quite frankly, they are painful.
While I didnt find them so bad with my rogue as stealth is a wonderful thing, every other toon I have taken through these areas has been subject to mass amounts of ganking by alliance.

I really dont understand it.
Nearly 70 now, I have NO desire to waste my time in going to low areas and ganking ppl 20+ levels below me.
Its no challenge and im getting no gain from it....
So why then must 70's hang out at nessy in STV and kill everything 30 levels lower than them...for hours on end?

I just figure they must be really ****ful players and they cant actually kill anything thier own level, so instead they settle for making them feel important buy killing lowly.

I guess each to thier own.
Old 01-15-08, 05:35 PM   #52
Rakeesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvahlish
You know what....sometimes, your just gonna get killed and thats the way PVP goes.
Your not going to be able to save yourself from every race and class that decides your going down.
Right, and this will invariably apply to every class. It is just the nature of PVP in any MMO which has at least a halfway decent PVP system. Some classes I'll eat for breakfast (e.g. most warriors) some classes will eat me for lunch.

If I won all the time, PVP would be boring anyways. One reason I really like PVP is the intensity involved in it. You really have no idea if you are going to win or not. Even if you start to win, sometimes the unexpected happens, like his buddy coming along and one shotting you.

Quote:
As for locks.
They are overpowered and I dont even bother with them.
If you catch them off guard, like I did once, you have a huge upper hand. Granted that only works if you are druid or rogue, but nonetheless it can work. Or if worse comes to worse, you can always gank em. In forgotten coast, it is pretty easy to arrange for a good ganking if thats what you feel like doing.

Quote:
I find it a waste of time to attack, unless attacked, or unless I am in BG's...which seems to be a lot these days.
Depends on how much you like a good PVP battle. Some people will avoid PVP entirely, and those people just stay on RP or normal servers. Me? If an enemy will make a good challenge (as in he will be able to put up a fight, and so will you,) then a challenge is always in order. The only exception I apply this is to places like ratchet, booty bay, or moonglade. I don't mess with people there, even if I could kill or ditch the guards.

Core i7 2600k 4.4Ghz 1.385v | Corsair H60 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 8-8-8-24 | MSI P67A-G45 | OCZ Vertex 3 | Sapphire 7850 OC to Max settings

Old 01-15-08, 05:44 PM   #53
Rakeesh

One more thing to add btw, if you don't want the possibility of some other player coming around and killing you at random while you are minding your own business questing, then you really shouldn't be playing on a PVP server.

Personally I like that kind of thing, even if it means some level 70 lock could come and kill my 23 druid at any time. It adds yet another element of challenge to the game. It's boring just being able to kill any mob of your choosing all day long. If you like that kind of thing, thats fine, but IMO being the big invincible superhero all day long makes for one bland game. PVP FTW.

Quote:
Nearly 70 now, I have NO desire to waste my time in going to low areas and ganking ppl 20+ levels below me.
So why then must 70's hang out at nessy in STV and kill everything 30 levels lower than them...for hours on end?
I've had this happen to me a few times. I guess as druid with the 30% speed bonus in cat form and easy snare breaking, it doesn't bother me as much, because I often escape from that.

Old 01-15-08, 05:58 PM   #54
Dvahlish

Quote:
One more thing to add btw, if you don't want the possibility of some other player coming around and killing you at random while you are minding your own business questing, then you really shouldn't be playing on a PVP server.

Personally I like that kind of thing, even if it means some level 70 lock could come and kill my 23 druid at any time. It adds yet another element of challenge to the game. It's boring just being able to kill any mob of your choosing all day long. If you like that kind of thing, thats fine, but IMO being the big invincible superhero all day long makes for one bland game. PVP FTW.
Oh yeh look, I love being on a PVP server and I love a good battle as well.
When its fair fight.
Theres nothing better than a close battle between opposing sides! Its fantastic!

I just dont see the point in ganking 20-30 levels lower.
To me its just an annoying waste of time.
Old 01-15-08, 06:06 PM   #55
Dvahlish

Quote:
One more thing to add btw, if you don't want the possibility of some other player coming around and killing you at random while you are minding your own business questing, then you really shouldn't be playing on a PVP serer.
And..might I just add.
I see this is your first time on a PVP server at lvl 23.
So...you havent hit Hillsbrad or STV yet?

Well.....maybe we shall see where you stand after questing in an area when not only do alliance get into PVP, but they also camp;...severly and it gets to the point where you cannot even finish a quest without a lvl 70 ganking and them camping your body for eternity.

Im not saying that PVP isnt fun...it sure as hell is...but, I dont think you have experienced it at its fullest yet.

You will
Old 01-15-08, 06:48 PM   #56
Son Goku

Quote:

It is possible to enable dispaly enemy cast bars or something of the sort in UI options. This will allow it to display when they're casting, and what's being caste.

Quote:
The fear thing can only be used three times I think, and so long as I use cat form I can always retreat and heal until he simply can't cast it anymore, then finish him off.
Unfortunately, I don't think this is true. At least I've seen chain fear get applied multiple times, on groups, time and again with them gone. Theoretically it's supposed to get resisted or something after awhile, but in experience, it doesn't seem to be working as such.

Needless to say, I've leveled my lock alt some, and you know what they say about revenge being a dish best served cold. I plan on giving a lil turn around, and being just as nasty on the payback No mercy to those who fear/DoTed
Son Goku is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-15-08, 06:58 PM   #57
Son Goku

Quote:
I have levelled 4 toons through these areas now and quite frankly, they are painful.
While I didnt find them so bad with my rogue as stealth is a wonderful thing, every other toon I have taken through these areas has been subject to mass amounts of ganking by alliance.

What makes STV so unique though, is the level spread. I've been able to take a hunter in there at lvl 28, and tbh I think I took my warrior there at 28 or 29 for some of the starting quests, like Nessingwary safari. Course the chars I've leveled there thus far have been on a PvE realm, so this hasn't been an issue. But I can see it now with this char. The range goes from those quests, to a lvl 45 involving killing Keelhaul, Stillwater I think it is and the others. It includes the lvl 50 "Message in a Bottle", both ali and horde side, killing the elite ogres, and of course ZG is there as well. Most zones have a much smaller level spread, except perhaps Barrens, albeit that's only an issue for alliance (the level 20 lock quest for instance); as it's horde territory, not contested. Most zones, hell even Desolase has a much smaller level spread.

Only other thing I imagine might come close to tough, is hitting lvl 58 and going through the dark portal, for some entry lvl quests. Least the first few are quite close to Honor Hold or Thrallmar respective. Some do require going close to the other encamptment though (ali side, takeing down forge camps north of Thrallmar), horde side, down around the Unyielding (I think my 70 orc hunter went down that way), and of course the fel orc blood quest. Killing each other's catapaults is a given.

Once one's Outland geared, the disparity becomes less, though lvl 70s will still be there for Shattered Halls, and the Shattered Halls key quest, involving killing a Fel Reaver and putting the key mold in it... But there the difference (and no small difference at that) is largely gear, where end game vs. lvling Azeroth gear can be extreme. And it grows less so, about the first couple quests. STV though, it's lvl spread.
Son Goku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-08, 07:00 PM   #58
Dvahlish

Your right, fear can be used as many times as a lock feels like using it.
It has a cool down, but not a long one.
And while they are waiting for the fear cooldown to stop, there are a million other DOT's and spells they can throw at you.
Old 01-15-08, 07:02 PM   #59
Rakeesh

Quote:
And..might I just add.
I see this is your first time on a PVP server at lvl 23.
So...you havent hit Hillsbrad or STV yet?
I've passed through STV in order to get to an orc camp from booty bay. No trouble from other players, but mobs were a pain in the butt. Actually it seems to be a place where my guild frequently goes, because I randomly encountered a few of them there.

Old 01-15-08, 07:02 PM   #60
Dvahlish

Yeh....going through the Dark portal was tough, I have just done that fir the first time recently.
Not knowing what to do, I ran straight out on to the road and was killed immediatly

Now I know, that you run off to the right and catch the winrider out of there to Thall straight away.

Persoanlly, I think your best waiting to lvl 60 before taking on the Outlands.
The quests there are considerably harder.