Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-18-07, 01:58 PM   #1
superm1

Default Distribution maintainer scripts

Hi guys.

As you may know, AMD has a beta team that tests and prepares drivers prior to fglrx releases. This team has a variety of members that represent several different distributions. Now one of the things that sticks out about this is that AMD allows distribution maintainers to include their own maintainer scripts in the drivers. This allows users to be able to build appropriate packages that fit in line with their distribution's packaging system.

I recently stepped up as a maintainer for the Ubuntu set of scripts, and added support for DKMS (dynamic kernel module system). This allows users to install the AMD driver once, and then every time there is an ABI change with the kernel it is automatically rebuilt.

Now with all that said, I am wondering if NVIDIA would be interested in assembling a similar effort? Triaging posts on the ubuntu forums, it appears to be a common confusion among new users trying to install the driver from the archive shipped on NVIDIA's web site.

Adding support to let users run a single command, get some packages, and install them would really go a long way I think.
superm1 is offline   Reply With Quote