Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Home Theater A/V

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-05-07, 02:16 PM   #1
rany1977

Default Connecting a HD DVD player to a home theatre system

Hey guys, this is my first post on here so please forgive me if this question has been asked and answered before.

I just purchased a TOSHIBA A2 HD DVD player, My HDTV has a DVI connection, I have not hooked up the player since i'm waiting for my HDMI to DVI cable to arrive by mail.

Anyway, I went to Future Shop to find a new home theatre system, and the guy told me that no home theatre on the market will connect to the HD DVD.

I have a hard time believing this guy, I was wondering if this is true or not. Also, is there anyway I can connect the HD DVD to any home theatre without HDMI or Optical Digital Audio Output?

Thanks,

Rany
rany1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-07, 02:42 PM   #2
Bman212121

Default Re: Connecting a HD DVD player to a home theatre system

Hi Rany, welcome to the forums.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "home theatre" system but I'm guessing you are talking about the speakers/reciever correct?

You shouldn't have any problems hooking this device up to any type of speaker setup, or tv setup for that matter. It has Optical, HDMI, and RCA outputs for sound, so one of them will work just fine.

You can hook up the player to a reciever using the RCA jacks, (Red/white) however the problem with that is you will only get 2 channel audio. If you want to get the full effect you need to either use the HDMI or optical out so you can get full 5.1 sound.
Bman212121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-07, 02:49 PM   #3
rany1977

Hey, Bman, I have 6 year old 5.1 Panasonic 600 watt 5-disc home theatre in a box with 5 speakers and a subwoofer. How can I connect it to my HD DVD player?

If it can't be done, which home theatre would work on HD DVD?
Old 07-05-07, 03:26 PM   #4
Bman212121

Do you have a model number of the reciever?

I'm sure you can connect it using the RCAs, but I wouldn't know if it had optical on it or not so you could connect it that way.
Old 07-05-07, 04:49 PM   #5
rany1977

It doesn't have optical output, it only has the RCA outputs. The model number is SA-HT75. If i connect it with the RCA cables will the full 5.1 come through.

I'm thinnking of purchasing a new home theatre in a box. Somebody from Best Buy said the only Samsung home theatres have the optical output, but in Future Shop the guy says that's not true. I don't who to believe.

So, if anyone knows of a good home theatre that can be connected to an HD DVD via the Optical output please let me know.

Thanks
Old 07-05-07, 05:19 PM   #6
GamerGuyX

Quote:
Originally Posted by rany1977
It doesn't have optical output, it only has the RCA outputs. The model number is SA-HT75. If i connect it with the RCA cables will the full 5.1 come through.

I'm thinnking of purchasing a new home theatre in a box. Somebody from Best Buy said the only Samsung home theatres have the optical output, but in Future Shop the guy says that's not true. I don't who to believe.

So, if anyone knows of a good home theatre that can be connected to an HD DVD via the Optical output please let me know.

Thanks
If it's true that your receiver only has RCA inputs then it is only possible to get 2 channel sound.

Also, pretty much any modern day receiver/home theater in a box has an optical input (no matter the brand).

Quote:
Of course we have suggestions on what to buy but it depends on how much you want to spend.

Just keep in mind that to get the highest quality audio from HD DVD you would need a receiver with an HDMI input. Optical in this case does not have the bandwidth to support more advanced audio codecs such as Dolby TrueHD.

[url="http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/user_list.php?s=&t=35216"]Folding for Team# 35216 : NvNews + OSNN + SP[/URL]
GamerGuyX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-07, 05:54 PM   #7
rany1977

Okay, so if I buy a home theatre with HDMI how would I connect it to the HD DVD then to my tv via a HDMI to DVI cable?

Does the home theatre receiver have 2 HDMI outputs that'll allow a connection from the HD DVD to the receiver then from the receiver to the tv via a HDMI to DVI cable?

I just don't understand how they could tell me that no home theatre will connect an HD DVD.
Old 07-05-07, 06:16 PM   #8
Bman212121

Quote:
Okay, so if I buy a home theatre with HDMI how would I connect it to the HD DVD then to my tv via a HDMI to DVI cable?

Does the home theatre receiver have 2 HDMI outputs that'll allow a connection from the HD DVD to the receiver then from the receiver to the tv via a HDMI to DVI cable?

I just don't understand how they could tell me that no home theatre will connect an HD DVD.
GGX is correct in that if you only have 2 RCAs on that reciever, then you only get 2 channel sound, and there isn't a way to get the full 5 ch out of it.

If you find a home theatre system with HDMI, it probably has an HDMI-IN which you would connect the HD-DVD to so that both video and audio are passed to the reciever. Then it would also have an HDMI out which would need to be connected between the reciever and the TV. This would allow the reciever to pass on the video to the tv.

It would probably make just as much sense to use an optical cable from the HD-DVD player to the reciever, and then your HDMI to DVI cable from the HD-DVD player to the TV. You should be able to set up the player to pass video via HDMI and audio over the optical to a home theatre system. I honestly would be suprised to see any decent home theatre system that couldn't input an optical signal since it is needed to get 5.1 channel audio.

I just browsed Best Buy and I could only find 1 system, a phillips, that didn't have optical digital on it, but instead only had the coax digital. The other 10 I looked at all had optical inputs.

I'm not sure what you are looking for, but I did find a Sony HT setup with 2 HDMI-IN and 1 HDMI-out. It also has 2 optical inputs as well. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1167445161805

It isn't essential to have to use HDMI to your reciever, so don't worry about finding one that has it on it since you can still connect you HD-DVD player using the optical to a reciever. To add to GGX it is correct that you'll want to have HDMI if you want to have the latest and greatest audio connection, but you would want to make sure the home theatre can support it as well, or it won't matter what type of connection you use since it will probably be using dolby digital. The one I linked would fit this example because they don't mention it supporting TrueHD to it wouldn't matter what type of connection you used since both types of hookups would pass the same audio.

As for why they would tell you it wouldn't work I'm at a loss, but I'm just guessing that the sales guy was misinformed, or maybe you just misunderstood what he was talking about.

Old 07-05-07, 06:37 PM   #9
rany1977

And the Optical connection will bring out the full 5.1 ch?

I'm in Canada, is it possible that no home theatre in the Best Buy store not have an Optical output?

The guy there told me only the Samsung have the optical output which will work on the HD DVD, It could be that they wanted to get rid of their Samsung's. There's nothing wrong with the Samsung home theatre, it looks cool and has a total power of 1200 watts.

What you're saying Bman is how I thought it would work is via the Optical output. But the Future Shop guy says this isn't so, which is what confused me.

All Optical output cables are the same, right?

I'm just trying to figure what i'm gonna do before I go out and purchase a new home theatre package. Unless I just go out, buy it, and return it if it doesn't work out lol.

But from all the info you guys have given me it sounds like you know what you're talking about so it should work.

Thanks again, guys!
Old 07-05-07, 06:45 PM   #10
rany1977

Here's the one i'm talking about:

http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/prodde...45&catid=20311

or,

http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/prodde...30&catid=20311
Old 07-05-07, 07:55 PM   #11
GamerGuyX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bman212121
To add to GGX it is correct that you'll want to have HDMI if you want to have the latest and greatest audio connection, but you would want to make sure the home theatre can support it as well, or it won't matter what type of connection you use since it will probably be using dolby digital. The one I linked would fit this example because they don't mention it supporting TrueHD to it wouldn't matter what type of connection you used since both types of hookups would pass the same audio.
The receiver doesn't need to support the decoding of TrueHD. The HD DVD player decodes it and sends it out as raw PCM.

Quote:
I'm in Canada, is it possible that no home theatre in the Best Buy store not have an Optical output?
There is no way that is possible. This is just a simple case of idiots working at BB.

Best Buy not carrying a receiver with optical inputs is like Barnes & Noble not carrying any books based on Sci-Fi.

[url="http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/user_list.php?s=&t=35216"]Folding for Team# 35216 : NvNews + OSNN + SP[/URL]
GamerGuyX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-07, 08:07 PM   #12
Bman212121

I dunno why they would tell you that it wouldn't work. The first one that you linked to has an HDMI-IN and an HDMI-OUT, so you can use it as a pass thru by connecting the HD-DVD to the reciever, then the reciever to the TV. It also has optical in so it can be connected that way as well. Whenever I'm in doubt about the specs, I usually go right to the manufacturer of the device. They have a spec PDF file that I'm looking at right now that shows it has the correct connections, so there is no reason why it shouldn't work.

What's funny is that I couldn't find the second set on their website, but googling it I was able to get the specs from there site, but it was in a different language. I'd have to say the first one looks a lot better since it has both the HDMI and the optical, the second only has the optical and it doesn't have the 4 tall speakers. Of course it's not my money so I'm going to suggest the more expensive one.

HT-TX75 Specs: (Click on download spec sheet to see more info about it)
http://www.samsung.com/Products/Home...T_TX75TXAA.asp

HT-TX52T Specs:
http://www.samsung.com/cp/products/h...Specifications

Unless there is some really strange phenomenon I don't see why either wouldn't work just fine with your player. The only problem I could see you running into is if you try using the HDMI thru the reciever and it doesn't support HDCP. Then you might run into problems with not seeing the video. It shouldn't bother because it looks like the reciever is passive, so it just outputs exactly what was input without modifying it. Even if for some reason it doesn't work over HDMI, you can still use the other method with optical. Both ways will give you the 5.1 channel goodness so you can rattle your teeth when listening to movies.