Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-19-03, 08:59 PM   #1
gonzo6111

Default red hat 9 nvidia 4349

ok noobie to all of these.Need some big time help is the way i see it, I downloaded the drivers so i must get out of xwindow i do the ctrl- alt - backspace that takes me back to log in if i hit the ctrl- alt-f2 i get send to text mode i try to cd to the drivers says no directory so i can't do anything.I know that the drivers are at /home/ blalala/ drivers so what is going on i try on user account and did the same on root. Thanks ahead for any help i would like to try something else if i can fix this and get the drivers installed.
gonzo6111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-03, 07:56 AM   #2
bwkaz

After you've done ctrl-alt-f2, you can log in as root, and type /sbin/init 3 to shut down X. As it is, it's still running, just on a different virtual console.

Then, to execute the .run file, you do sh /home/blalalah/drivers/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-4349.run and hit return. If that complains (about file not found or something), then that's probably because I didn't understand where you put the drivers. Might want to post the directory you saved them to -- or just sh /path/to/that/directory/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-4349.run, substituting for /path/to/that/directory as appropriate.

If you get something over most of your screen after the first sh thing, then it was able to execute -- so if you still get errors, post the /var/log/nvidia-installer.log file.
Registered Linux User #219692
bwkaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-03, 12:48 PM   #3
gonzo6111

ok thx i try the sh and it toke me to a screen i accept and it look like it ran something real fast i did the config did the changes.but i don't see any nvidia logo on startup i even reboot it and nothing i try to see if it's working try to open tux racer and nothing happens.
Old 04-20-03, 01:22 PM   #4
gonzo6111

oh i read where u can do in terminal glxgear says xlib: extension glx missing on display 0.0. i'm sorry trying to read and help on my mess to figure out what's happening here.
Old 04-20-03, 03:13 PM   #5
bwkaz

When it "did something real fast", that was it installing the drivers. Had you taken a second to read the screen, you would have seen it tell you that now you have to edit your X config file (it displays that message after a successful driver install). This file is /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 if that file exists, or /etc/X11/XF86Config if the other file doesn't. Open this up in a text editor (you have to be root to change it), find the Driver "nv" line, and change "nv" to "nvidia" (keep the quotes). Elsewhere in the file there should be a Section "Modules" -- in that section, make sure a line that looks like Load "glx" exists (again, keep the quotes around glx). Comment out a line that says Load "GLcore" or Load "dri", if they exist -- I don't think they will though.

When that's done, save the config file and exit the editor, and run an /sbin/modprobe nvidia (still as root). Ignore messages about tainting the kernel; the driver should still load despite them. If you see any other messages though, and if /sbin/lsmod doesn't list nvidia, then post the errors you saw after the modprobe, and stop.

If you see nvidia in the list returned by /sbin/lsmod, then switch back to your non-root user, and startx. If it still doesn't start, then copy /var/log/XFree86.0.log to your home directory (with [b]cp /var/log/XFree86.0.log ~/xfree86.0.txt) and attach the resulting ~/xfree86.0.txt file to your next post.
Old 04-20-03, 11:15 PM   #6
gonzo6111

bwkaz i want to thank you for your support on all this as everything check out good.Some how my config file didn't hold the changes to nvidia but held the load glx and those changes.I finally got to test it on tux so it is working now and it shows the test on glx gear on terminal at 1587 fps.Just don't know how or where to check if apg is working sure looks like it do i want to find out if on my display screen if i can check it now or will that again change the config file.Could i get some advice on that if you can.
Old 04-21-03, 08:22 AM   #7
bwkaz

For AGP you can look at the contents of /proc/driver/nvidia/agp/host-bridge, /proc/driver/nvidia/agp/card, and /proc/driver/nvidia/agp/status. But with 1500-some frames from glxgears, I think that's probably OK (given that I don't know which graphics card you're using -- but it doesn't really matter, I don't think).
Old 04-22-03, 06:27 AM   #8
gonzo6111

I try that but say permission denied. I did try that in terminal with root.do i have to add something to user permission area.I thought i change that when i just change to root i could do anything i'm lost now.

Old 04-22-03, 08:36 AM   #9
bwkaz

Perhaps I wasn't so clear. When I said "look at the contents of <XXXX file>", I did not mean "type <XXXX file> into your console". Typing (for example) /proc/driver/nvidia/agp/host-bridge into a console will try to execute that file, not display its contents. None of the files in /proc are executable (well... there may be some exceptions under /proc/<PID>), so this fails with permission denied, for all users.

You have to do cat <XXXX filename> instead to see the contents.