Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-21-07, 05:49 AM   #13
f1f0
Linux User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 46
Default Re: 169.07 Ubuntu 7.10 Fan at %100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frumpco
So far seems to be all videocards regardless of model or Linux OS
There is no problem with mine: Acer Aspire 5583WXMi (the 5580 family) with GeForce Go 7300. Aside from the indispensable NvPerf module parameter, it behaves the same as before.

PowerMizer is not working due to that param, of course.
f1f0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-07, 06:55 AM   #14
Frumpco
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 6
Default Re: 169.07 Ubuntu 7.10 Fan at %100

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1f0
There is no problem with mine: Acer Aspire 5583WXMi (the 5580 family) with GeForce Go 7300. Aside from the indispensable NvPerf module parameter, it behaves the same as before.

PowerMizer is not working due to that param, of course.

Yea that is the laptop verson, so far it is just the desktop cards that are having this problem.. the laptop card prob does not have its own fan and uses the heatpipe to connect to the CPU heatsink to keep it cool
Frumpco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-07, 06:58 AM   #15
blueworm
[DEADAGAIN]blueworm
 
blueworm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 416
Default Re: 169.07 Ubuntu 7.10 Fan at %100

There are two workarounds, the first like somebody mentioned is nvclock cvs version. The second to downgrade driver back to 169-04.

Nvidia how about implementing some proper fan control in the driver
__________________
Registered linux user #271604 Get Counted! http://counter.li.org/
lianLi PC60, OCZ powerStream 520W PSU, Asus P5N-E SLI, Core 2 duo E6550, 2Gb GEIL, XFX 8800GT, TB SantaCruz
blueworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-07, 08:44 AM   #16
Arsenal
I like Debian GNU/Linux
 
Arsenal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Ukraine/Zaporozhye
Posts: 6
Default Re: 169.07 Ubuntu 7.10 Fan at %100

Ok.
In this drivers version, the trouble of 7300 and SMP kernel fix? In 169.04 this trouble don't fix, but in the Release Highlights writes "Fixed stability problems with some GeForce 6200/7200/7300 GPUs multi-core/SMP systems."
When this BUG will be FIX ? I'm VERY,VERY sorrow, because MUST use Windows XP. In Windows XP its Ok! ;(
Arsenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-07, 09:50 AM   #17
liberostelios
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Athens (Greece)
Posts: 1
Default Re: 169.07 Ubuntu 7.10 Fan at %100

I have the same problem on a 8800GT with openSUSE 10.3! I hope we get a bug fix soon...
liberostelios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-07, 10:15 AM   #18
mooninite
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 477
Default Re: 169.07 Ubuntu 7.10 Fan at %100

As mentioned, just downgrade to 169.04.

I don't think anyone is going to miss whatever 169.07 added.
mooninite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-07, 10:25 AM   #19
Lost Dog
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 151
Default Re: 169.07 Ubuntu 7.10 Fan at %100

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooninite
As mentioned, just downgrade to 169.04.

I don't think anyone is going to miss whatever 169.07 added.
Not quite true... 169.04 was useless for HTPC's. Many people were unable to get TV-out working. 169.07 fixed this and I can use this driver to watch 1080i material.
Lost Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-07, 12:53 PM   #20
Frumpco
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 6
Default Re: 169.07 Ubuntu 7.10 Fan at %100

as the short term fix I downgraded but would like the current ver fixed....
Frumpco is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-21-07, 02:25 PM   #21
mooninite
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 477
Default Re: 169.07 Ubuntu 7.10 Fan at %100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Dog
Not quite true... 169.04 was useless for HTPC's. Many people were unable to get TV-out working. 169.07 fixed this and I can use this driver to watch 1080i material.
Why would you want to use a TV out connection for 1080i material? That makes no sense. Your TV out is giving you 480i. I'm confused.

I've used a DVI->HDMI cable to hook up to several HDTVs under all of the 100 series (100.x.x and 169.x) without any problems.
mooninite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-07, 03:17 PM   #22
Lost Dog
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 151
Default Re: 169.07 Ubuntu 7.10 Fan at %100

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooninite
Why would you want to use a TV out connection for 1080i material? That makes no sense. Your TV out is giving you 480i. I'm confused.

I've used a DVI->HDMI cable to hook up to several HDTVs under all of the 100 series (100.x.x and 169.x) without any problems.
You've got me confused...

I've not been able to find a usable modeline with my HDTV using DVI but component out works great with no custom modelines.

I'm talking TV out from my motherboard (M2NPV-VM) to my HDTV. The 169.04 drivers had some serious issues with HDTV (1080i and 720p) for many people so downgrading to the previous driver is not an option.
Lost Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-07, 05:27 PM   #23
Bakou
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 15
Default Re: 169.07 Ubuntu 7.10 Fan at %100

Downgrading to 169.04 is a terrible idea, this driver is superior in every way besides the fan thing. Try running compiz fusion on .04, its a joke.

As for nvclock, a good idea but unlikely to work for the brand new 512 8800GT/GTS
And i agree, this lack of any useful settings in nvidia drivers is becoming a disturbing trend.. in windows you basically have to use rivatuner because nTune is just not acceptable, and in linux we have coolbits that can't even save its clock settings or control the fan at all..
Bakou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-07, 05:29 PM   #24
mooninite
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 477
Default Re: 169.07 Ubuntu 7.10 Fan at %100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Dog
You've got me confused...

I've not been able to find a usable modeline with my HDTV using DVI but component out works great with no custom modelines.

I'm talking TV out from my motherboard (M2NPV-VM) to my HDTV. The 169.04 drivers had some serious issues with HDTV (1080i and 720p) for many people so downgrading to the previous driver is not an option.
What you're talking about is *not* "TV out".

TV out is the old S-Video connection.

What you're talking about is a regular video connection. Yes, HDTVs are monitors.

Have you not tried removing your modelines? I've never needed modelines with the three different HDTVs (one Mitsubishi, two Samsung) I have hooked up to.
mooninite is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
GPU fan always at 100%, can not change the thermal settings legluondunet NVIDIA Linux 26 05-04-13 05:56 AM

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:44 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2014, nV News.