Go Back   nV News Forums > Website Related > Feedback Forum

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-14-07, 05:05 AM   #1
Capt. Picard

Default A possible solution to the post-count ranking system?

evilghost refered to this earlier that a major source of irritation for many members are the senseless spamming and trolling from members.

There MUST be an alternative ranking system to our current post-count. The problem IMO is that our current post counter is the ONLY way of acquiring a status on this forum making it prone to a ridiculous amount of spamming and senseless posting.

This is just and idea and I don't know if vbulletin can accomodate this but what if the post-count can be accompanied with a star voting system whereby people can rank you based on the quality of your posts.

Say kevpla is making an ass of himself again for a long enough period and enough people vote negatively, he can accrue a status of ass-hat or something like this. If, on the other hand, enough people vote positively then someone can attain the title of master poster or something like that.

The post counter can still stay for those people who wants to see how many posts they made but at least it won't be the SOLE means of aquiring a status on the forum any more. Now you can see that someone like Udawg has 25,000 posts but that it has been mostly useless drivel (j/k )for which no-one cares. And you can also see that someone has only posted 50 times but his posts have been decent and thoughtful.

The problem with this system however can be that it can lead to some people ganging up on other people and victimizing them. But over the long run I'm sure it will balance itself out. And the positives of this far out-weigh the negatives IMO.

The system for calculating a ranking system such as this may be complex and even seemingly impossible but I'm sure if enough heads can come together a solution can be found. But MikeC's input will also crucial because I think he's the only one here he knows how vbulletin works.

EDIT: Depending on whether people think this post is useless drivel or not, I hope it can be moved to the open section so that more people can give their input.
Old 10-14-07, 05:50 AM   #2
LORD-eX-Bu
Horus the pointy master

Default Re: A possible solution to the post-count ranking system?

in my opinion it is a non-issue. The only people making a big deal about how many posts other users have are those with little or no posts who are trying to get attention.

The system that we've had in place for years is fine.
Old 10-14-07, 06:00 AM   #3
MUYA

Send a message via MSN to MUYA

+1

No need for any change

There is no "MUST" in a feedback post. You can reccomend...not demand...any changes you would like to see is MikeC's discretion.

I can tell you if I was him, I really wouldn't like to bother with minor things such as this.

nVnews has been here since changing over from Viper resources..staying fairly the same all the way throughout.and will keep going...strong
Corsair K90 - Corsair Venegance 2000 Headset - Razer Naga Epic
Corsair 600T Case
MUYA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-07, 06:23 AM   #4
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger

I like it the way it is too. I feel that at times I am considered one of these 'spammers' I do try to participate in a normal manner, but I am who I am. I'm a joker, an Aussie Larrikan. I do apologise for the fap craze though.

From what I've seen on the forums post count doesn't mean much anyway and as Lord-eX said, usually it's those who want attention who make a big deal about it.

I dunno, I've only been here for 3 years now, though I've seen a lot and I've gone through a lot of the old posts, nVNews history is a strange interest for me.
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-07, 09:54 AM   #5
Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by crainger
I like it the way it is too. I feel that at times I am considered one of these 'spammers' I do try to participate in a normal manner, but I am who I am. I'm a joker, an Aussie Larrikan. I do apologise for the fap craze though.

From what I've seen on the forums post count doesn't mean much anyway and as Lord-eX said, usually it's those who want attention who make a big deal about it.

I dunno, I've only been here for 3 years now, though I've seen a lot and I've gone through a lot of the old posts, nVNews history is a strange interest for me.
I've said this quite a bit over the last month...

But Crainger...

This is all your fault.
Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-07, 01:04 PM   #6
Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=Gib-McFragger=-
We had the member voted ranking system before and it didn't last very long as people abused it and voted negatively based on how much they liked/hated a member regardless of what the member has done in the forums. It was used as a personal vendetta ranking system. I vote no.

I wouldn't mind if they removed post count altogether though. That would cut down on the spamming.
I don't think the ranking/rep system would work well here either. I would be just as happy without the post count, honestly, but it doesn't bother me that its there either.

I'm just glad this site is here, period. It's my home. I love you guys, and not in the homoerotic fapping way either. There are so many good people here that its a shame we get so upset when a few asshats try to ruin the party.
Old 10-14-07, 04:18 PM   #7
crainger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q
I've said this quite a bit over the last month...

But Crainger...

This is all your fault.
Old 10-14-07, 04:36 PM   #8
Q

Quote:
Even the sad face...

It's all your fault.

Old 10-14-07, 04:45 PM   #9
crainger

But but. Remember the way you'd always make my head explode?

Didn't we have fun?

Remember that time when I tried to incinerate you and you were like "No Way".
Old 10-14-07, 06:23 PM   #10
Q

Quote:
But but. Remember the way you'd always make my head explode?

Didn't we have fun?

Remember that time when I tried to incinerate you and you were like "No Way".

Yes, I do remember that well.

Anyway, this cake is great. It's so delicious and moist.
Old 10-14-07, 06:45 PM   #11
crainger

The cake is a lie.
Old 10-14-07, 06:58 PM   #12
Q

Quote:
The cake is a lie.
You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.