Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA FreeBSD

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-23-08, 02:56 PM   #13
DrJ

Default Re: P35/7.0 Beta Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by saul
I have a P35-DS3R as well, with 4GB of RAM. I wonder why no one else seems to be reporting having that trouble with the nvidia driver...
No idea, Saul -- I would have thought it was a common enough configuration. It is disappointing that there has been no response after the initial request for the bug reports (which were supplied).
DrJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-08, 10:03 PM   #14
saul

There may be many people using this driver with 4gb of RAM & FreeBSD. (I'm using 6.2-stable)...I think it only happens on this particular motherboard though. Gigabyte support was totally unhelpful.
saul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-08, 11:10 PM   #15
DrJ

What did Gigabyte support say? The company is known for their many BIOS revisions. No help on that front?
Old 01-26-08, 10:32 AM   #16
DrJ

Saul,

You have PM on this board.
Old 01-31-08, 04:49 PM   #17
saul

Dear Sir,

In regards to your issue, If you installed total 4GB memory, the system will detect less than 4GB of total memory because of address space allocation for other critical functions, such as:

- System BIOS (including motherboard, add-on cards, etc..)
- Motherboards resources
- Memory mapped I/O
- configuration for AGP/PCI-Ex/PCI
- Other memory allocations for PCI devices

Different onboard devices and different add-on cards (devices) will result of different total memory size. In fact, when you do not install full 4GB memory, memory controller can use free 1GB memory address lines will be used for "PCI memory" to allocate PCI devices.

But, if you install full 4GB memory modules on this MB, memory controller will not have more address line to allocate PCI devices. Thus, BIOS will uses system memory space for PCI device allocation, then you will find shortage of total system memory capacity.

For example, a PCI-E VGA card needs 256MB system memory to allocate, and also needs extra system memory space for onboard audio chip, LAN controller and others. Usually, you will lose around 1GB memory space for that.

This limitation applies to most chipsets & Windows XP 32-bit version operating system.

If you install Windows XP 32-bit version operating system, we recommend that you install less than 3GB of total memory. Windows XP Pro X64 Ed. (64-bit) or other OS which can address more than 4GB memory

We also provide the FAQ on our website: http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/M...spx?FAQID=1493

At last, if you still have any further question or suggestion about our products/service, please do not hesitate to contact with us directly. We will try our best to help you resolve the problem ASAP.

******** Thank you for supporting Gigabyte products ***********
saul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-08, 01:11 PM   #18
tarai

I have P35 (Gigabyte GA-P35-DS4 Rev.2.0 with BIOS #F11) motherboard, a Intel C2D E8200, 1GB DDR2 x 4 and nVidia 8500GT. I encountered a system freeze when startx was executed on FreeBSD 7.0-RC1.

I use the modified kernel which is enabled some debugging option.
(reference: http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/f...er/077008.html )
But I can't get a memory dump because keyboard was not active and couldn't enter kdb mode while system hang-up.

This problem appear when "kern.smp.active" is set to "0" by sysctl.

I try the new version of nvidia-driver (169.07) with modified ports. But the problem is not cleared.

Attached bug report contains /var/log/Xorg.0.log. That Xorg.0.log was generated when startx is executed without nvidia.ko module. No Xorg.0.log was logged when system hang-up.

If you can read Japanese, please refer to my article:
http://taraijpn.blogspot.com/2008/02...rxhang-up.html
Attached Files
File Type: log nvidia-bug-report-bsd7.log (99.8 KB, 228 views)
tarai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-08, 03:07 PM   #19
edhunterbg

I have same issue with Gigabyte P35-DS4 F12 bios, and there is no memory remapping options in bios. Hardware removing the 2 of 4 gigs makes X with nvidia driver start ok.

p.s. 7-stable 2008-4-3 sources and world and kernel
edhunterbg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-08, 08:20 AM   #20
Bront_in_Hood

Hello everybody!
I have "P5B" motherboard, nvidia 9600 GT videocard, 4 Gbs RAM, FreeBSD 7.0 and the same problem with Xorg!!! I read this topic and tried to decrease my RAM to 2 GBs. And successfully started Xorg!
So what is the problem? Is it motherboard, nvidia driver or FreeBSD bug? Or all together? And what can we do with this?
Bront_in_Hood is offline   Reply With Quote