Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-23-07, 11:44 AM   #1
scylla123

Default 169.07 Illegal instruction

Hello Folks,

I've had to revert to 100.14.19 because 169.07 gives me this type of error when I try to use compiz, glxgears, etc:
Illegal Instruction
Tried both the Livna and the Nvidia (NVIDIA-Linux-x86-169.07-pkg1.run) packages.

Details:

Gigabyte FX5200 video card
Fedora 8
(kernel 2.6.23.9-85.fc8)

100.14.19 runs fine...
scylla123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-07, 05:29 PM   #2
zbiggy

Default Re: 169.07 Illegal instruction

There might be file version mismatch.
I had this problem with 169.07. One of files was not overwritten by new version. Run Nvidia installer with --uninstall parameter. Then install.
If it will not work send us nvidia-bug-report (just run script and attach output).
zbiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-07, 05:36 PM   #3
CaptainPuppydog

I've got what seems to be the same problem. I had it before and had to do a full reinstall (easy way out at the time as I wanted to tweak a few other things) to get rid of it. Now the other day I was doing an update of my Fedora 8 install, and happened to do a 'pkill tar' in a terminal window at the same time (to kill a tar process that I didn't want hanging around anymore). For whatever reason that killed X and sent it into a loop of trying & retrying, init reloaded and then I got the 'hey X won't start -- do you want to do something about it' curses error message. At the time I was running on the Livna version of the kernel module, etc., but following your advice, I uninstalled it and installed the one directly from NVidia's download site. Still no go -- anything glx/compiz related gives me the 'illegal instruction' error and terminates. I've also tried going back to the Livna version and tried both versions of the Xorg.conf file (Livna and NVIDIA-Linux-x86-169.07-pkg1.run created) but can't seem to get away from the error.

Now just before doing the overly fateful 'pkill tar', I was playing around in Compiz Config Settings Manager (similar to when it last happened... coincidence? don't know) and tweaking on things, though turning everything off in CCSM didn't fix anything.

I've attached the nvidia-bug-report output for review. I'm kind of out of ideas at the moment.

cpd

edit +4hrs later:

OK, I think I may have it now (my order of things may not be 100% as I'm doing this by memory at the moment):
Uninstalled 169.07
Installed 100.14.19
glxgears now worked, but KDE wouldn't start compiz
uninstall all compiz stuff, reboot, reinstall
run 'compiz --replace' in a terminal as root and get a fatal error about missing sync extension
Check its output a few rows up and see 'Xlib: extension "GLX" missing on display'
add 'Load extmod' to the modules section of xorg.conf
restart X (ctrl-alt-bksp)
compiz starts. re-enable some of the eyecandy.
:-)

Maybe if I'm feeling lucky I'll switch back to 169 or the livna supplied ones. I think I'll wait a couple days first, though. ;-)
Attached Files
File Type: log nvidia-bug-report.log (114.9 KB, 220 views)
CaptainPuppydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-07, 05:54 PM   #4
chunkey
#!/?*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainPuppydog

I've attached the nvidia-bug-report output for review. I'm kind of out of ideas at the moment.

cpd
hmm, maybe it's because your CPU doesn't have any SSE IA... But, you can disable it, just open "nvidia-settings" -> "OpenGL Settings" -> Disable use of enhanced CPU instruction sets...
chunkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-08, 07:42 AM   #5
acki

Hi Folks,

I just updated my system from an mga550 to a Geforce FX 5200.
Seems I have the same problem.

First I tried the Xorg nv-driver which gave very poor 3D performance (glxgears running at about 5fps ...)

Then I installed the new 169.07 driver package. The X-Server starts fine, but running glxgears or GoogleEarth yields an 'Illegal instruction' before any graphic is output.

Me too, I have an old AMD Athlon 1.2GHz.

It would be nice to be informed about a solution ....

Best wishes

Acki
Attached Files
File Type: log nvidia-bug-report.log (88.0 KB, 215 views)
acki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-08, 10:51 AM   #6
Cimi

Send a message via ICQ to Cimi Send a message via AIM to Cimi Send a message via MSN to Cimi Send a message via Yahoo to Cimi

Quote:
Originally Posted by acki
Hi Folks,

I just updated my system from an mga550 to a Geforce FX 5200.
Seems I have the same problem.

First I tried the Xorg nv-driver which gave very poor 3D performance (glxgears running at about 5fps ...)

Then I installed the new 169.07 driver package. The X-Server starts fine, but running glxgears or GoogleEarth yields an 'Illegal instruction' before any graphic is output.

Me too, I have an old AMD Athlon 1.2GHz.

It would be nice to be informed about a solution ....

Best wishes

Acki
Exactly the same problem with the same CPU.

I've another machine with an Athlon XP and it seems to work fine (yes 169.07 is full of bugs but I expected as I got a performance boost in Prey game)

Attached bugreport
Attached Files
File Type: log nvidia-bug-report.log (116.3 KB, 189 views)
Cimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-08, 05:21 AM   #7
Cimi

Send a message via ICQ to Cimi Send a message via AIM to Cimi Send a message via MSN to Cimi Send a message via Yahoo to Cimi

up
Old 01-17-08, 03:18 PM   #8
zander
NVIDIA Corporation

As of the 169.07 NVIDIA Linux graphics driver release, support for CPUs that do not support the SSE instruction set has been discontinued in NVIDIA's OpenGL implementation. Unfortunately, current driver releases do not currently detect affected CPUs, leading to the crashes observed in this thread. Future NVIDIA Linux graphics driver releases will fail more gracefully.
zander is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-17-08, 05:14 PM   #9
Cimi

Quote:
Originally Posted by zander
As of the 169.07 NVIDIA Linux graphics driver release, support for CPUs that do not support the SSE instruction set has been discontinued in NVIDIA's OpenGL implementation. Unfortunately, current driver releases do not currently detect affected CPUs, leading to the crashes observed in this thread. Future NVIDIA Linux graphics driver releases will fail more gracefully.
This means I can't run new nvidia drivers on an Athlon CPU?
Old 01-17-08, 06:21 PM   #10
zander
NVIDIA Corporation

You can't use the OpenGL libraries shipped with 169.07 and future non-legacy graphics driver releases on CPUs that do not support the SSE instraction set; I believe the original Athlon is one such CPU (if in doubt, please check for sse in /proc/cpuinfo).
zander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-08, 06:35 PM   #11
Cimi

Quote:
Originally Posted by zander
You can't use the OpenGL libraries shipped with 169.07 and future non-legacy graphics driver releases on CPUs that do not support the SSE instraction set; I believe the original Athlon is one such CPU (if in doubt, please check for sse in /proc/cpuinfo).
Fallback is needed, how could distribution ship 169.xx release while they are dropping compatibility with pentium 3, amd athlon, duron!!!

You could provide two opengl library, and use the non-sse one when a non-sse cpu is found.
Old 01-18-08, 12:42 AM   #12
chunkey
#!/?*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cimi
Fallback is needed, how could distribution ship 169.xx release while they are dropping compatibility with pentium 3, amd athlon, duron!!!

You could provide two opengl library, and use the non-sse one when a non-sse cpu is found.
The Pentium III has SSE(1)!
chunkey is offline   Reply With Quote