Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-19-08, 10:25 AM   #13
jmellor

Default Re: 169.07 Illegal instruction

PLEA FOR SANITY: Can nvidia please get out of the business of miswriting their own OpenGL implementation, and integrate their particular quirks into the standard X implementation? In this way, much of the heartache associated with keeping the nvidia non-open code, xorg and the kernel in sync can be avoided, and the incredibly poor design choices about SSE that are now being made about forcing people to upgrade motherboards can be eliminated. This would seem to be a win for everyone, instead of the nvidia driver team causing unnecessary pain and a lot of cost to their Customers, and forcibly losing nvidia future business. If nvidia insists on providing their own code instead of correctly integrating with the xorg code, then they should at a minimum support the full range of hardware that is out there. PLEASE STOP SCREWING UP!
jmellor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-08, 06:11 PM   #14
ReimarD

Quote:
Originally Posted by zander
You can't use the OpenGL libraries shipped with 169.07 and future non-legacy graphics driver releases on CPUs that do not support the SSE instraction set; I believe the original Athlon is one such CPU (if in doubt, please check for sse in /proc/cpuinfo).
Don't you think that this is exactly the kind of thing that belongs in the release notes? Just because those release notes leave that impression in general: Those are actually supposed to be helpful to your users, not just consist of marketing blubber like they currently do most of the time!
ReimarD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-08, 01:38 PM   #15
Lethe

Ummm. This explains my earlier post that never got the answer:

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=105971

I too have a AMD Athlon 1.2Ghz.

Oh well. Can't beat the proprietary guys, I suppose.

I don't understand making super graphic cards, and then deliberately excluding your customers. Perhaps they hope we will all move to DRM MS crap.

Tat.

Nick
Lethe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-08, 11:51 PM   #16
nstewart

Exclamation Re: 169.07 Illegal instruction

Quote:
You can't use the OpenGL libraries shipped with 169.07 and future non-legacy graphics driver releases on CPUs that do not support the SSE instraction set; I believe the original Athlon is one such CPU (if in doubt, please check for sse in /proc/cpuinfo).
Sounds like information that ought to be included in the release notes or the download page, if it isn't already. Could the installer check for SSE?

- Nigel
nstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-08, 11:05 AM   #17
mooninite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lethe
I don't understand making super graphic cards, and then deliberately excluding your customers. Perhaps they hope we will all move to DRM MS crap.
Why would you put a 8800 chip in your Athlon 1.2ghz system? *scratches head*

Stop spending money on a GPU and upgrade your CPU. I don't think requiring SSE instructions on their brand-new 2008 driver is too much to ask.
mooninite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-08, 07:36 PM   #18
seeker010

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooninite
Why would you put a 8800 chip in your Athlon 1.2ghz system? *scratches head*

Stop spending money on a GPU and upgrade your CPU. I don't think requiring SSE instructions on their brand-new 2008 driver is too much to ask.
true that wouldn't make sense; but a FX5200 makes a lot of sense.
seeker010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-08, 09:32 PM   #19
zbiggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cimi
Fallback is needed, how could distribution ship 169.xx release while they are dropping compatibility with pentium 3, amd athlon, duron!!!

You could provide two opengl library, and use the non-sse one when a non-sse cpu is found.
pentium3 was the first CPU with SSE. AMD Duron since 1 GHz core also supports SSE, AthlonXP also has SSE. Those CPUs are so cheap toady so why keeping something older? Remember that slow CPU slowdowns GPU.

We expect from Nvidia top speed. Think about 99,9% of users here who are happy that extended capabilities of their CPUs is not wasted.
zbiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-08, 09:36 PM   #20
zbiggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeker010
So use legacy driver 96.43.05. It should work with FX.
zbiggy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-11-08, 11:24 PM   #21
mooninite

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeker010
I use 169.09 with a 5200FX, but with a Pentium 4 so it works just fine.

Here you go, AthlonXP 2000+.

http://cgi.ebay.com/AMD-ATHLONXP-200...QQcmdZViewItem

$10.

Or stick with the 100.xx.xx driver.
Old 04-18-08, 10:46 PM   #22
JonOomph

Does anyone know of an older nvidia driver which does support non-SSE CPUs (like the AMD Athlon)? Possible a version from the nvidia archives?

THanks,
-Jonathan
JonOomph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-08, 11:04 AM   #23
sulligogs

Quote:
As of the 169.07 NVIDIA Linux graphics driver release, support for CPUs that do not support the SSE instruction set has been discontinued in NVIDIA's OpenGL implementation. Unfortunately, current driver releases do not currently detect affected CPUs, leading to the crashes observed in this thread. Future NVIDIA Linux graphics driver releases will fail more gracefully.
This is such a shame. I've got an nVidia FX5500 in a machine with a 750mhz Duron and 768MB SDRAM. Sounds old doesn't it? But, it did me fine in Xubuntu until I upgraded to 8.04. Now, it seems that 2D is actually faster with a more competent NVIDIA X Server Settings application, but Compiz keeps on bombing out and I can't play Open Arena anymore.

Linux isn't like Windows. With each evolution of Windows you are encouraged to pump it up with new hardware. With Linux and these light weight desktop managers you are given a choice of staying back and tinkering around (well, what else would you do? ) and maybe when you are ready to splash out you will pay loyalties to those hardware manufacturers that gave you good decent drivers in the first place.

I like nVidia. I ditched ATI ages ago because I was fed up with their arrogance in not supporting Linux with enough decent graphics drivers. They have drowned anyone with an ATI card less than a Radeon 9500 where even a 7500 would be adequate for a lightweight desktop manager. Well, too late, matey. I will never buy an ATI product again no matter how many megahertz you parade it with. You abandoned many users of an alternative operating system because you saw no immediate profit in it. You did it once and you will probably do it again.

Hey, nVidia. Linux is creeping up fast. Give as much support to anyone using one of your graphics cards because the rewards are there. Everyone knows how much ATI suck with Linux so don't give them an inch as somewhere out there could be a newbie *nix user deciding to themselves which graphics card they would most likely buy.
sulligogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-08, 03:50 PM   #24
mooninite

sulligogs, did you bother reading other replies?

Use the 100.x.x driver series. If you want to use the 2008 driver, get 2000+ hardware.