Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-23-02, 05:19 AM   #1
obiwan

Default bug: clockspeeds/render/MX400

For quite some time now the nvidia drivers freeze on some cards when using the RENDER extension and scrolling quickly in apps that use RENDER through Xft to render fonts.
Actually only X freezes, but on killing X, the whole machine does.

NoRenderAccel is a workaround, or lowering the clock speed with nvclock.
Better would be to decrease the clock speed a bit for the GF2 MX400 (at least) in the drivers.

I think this was reported dozens of times, why isn't it fixed yet?
Old 08-23-02, 09:20 AM   #2
Thunderbird

I don't know on what distro you are but if your distro isn't using xfree86 4.2 I would upgrade to that. Performance wise lowering the clockspeed isn't a that great idea. How much are you decreasing the speeds then? (like to know since I'm the author of nvclock .....)
Thunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-02, 09:56 AM   #3
obiwan

Using mandrake-cooker, (patched up) XF 4.2 and kernel 2.4.19. But same problem exist on many other distros. I'm not the only one having this problem or wouldn't care so much. Usually I just disable the renderaccel, but like lowering the clock speed it is not very good for performance. It seems to depend a bit how much you have to lower your speed. Fact is the nvdrivers put it much higher than stock nv driver from XFree, card gets to hot with certain stuff, and locks up.

I cannot remember how much I had to lower to stop the crashes. I think it was 5-10, haven't tried it for months. I could try again if it is of any use.

Danny
Old 08-23-02, 10:20 AM   #4
r0gu3

Send a message via AIM to r0gu3

I used to have the same problem with my gf2 mx400... i now have 2 fans blowing accross it and now it is much better, Although i still leave render disabled on that card

- r0gu3
r0gu3 is offline   Reply With Quote