Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-28-07, 06:38 PM   #1
fesnel

Default TV Output screen size too large on GeForce 8400 GS (v. 169.07)

I have a new GeForce 8400 GS card and I'm running the 169.07 x86_64 nvidia driver version. The card is running on a Gigabyte GA-G31MX-S2 motherboard on a FC 8 system running kernel 2.6.23.9-85.

I am using the S-Video output attached via an S-Video cable to my 27-inch color television. The picture however is too large on my television and is always clipped off the edges. I have tried several different resolutions, DPI, and driver settings but none of them appear to help. Any recommendations for additional options to try? I have tried many of the different recommendations on the MythTV wiki.

My current xorg.conf and Xorg.0.log are attached. Is anyone using the GeForce 8400 GS card and having similar problems? What are some of the common resolutions for a picture too large for the television?
Attached Files
File Type: gz nvidia-files.tar.gz (5.1 KB, 265 views)
fesnel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-07, 12:26 PM   #2
ari.reads

Default Re: TV Output screen size too large on GeForce 8400 GS (v. 169.07)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fesnel
I have a new GeForce 8400 GS card and I'm running the 169.07 x86_64 nvidia driver version. The card is running on a Gigabyte GA-G31MX-S2 motherboard on a FC 8 system running kernel 2.6.23.9-85.

I am using the S-Video output attached via an S-Video cable to my 27-inch color television. The picture however is too large on my television and is always clipped off the edges. I have tried several different resolutions, DPI, and driver settings but none of them appear to help. Any recommendations for additional options to try? I have tried many of the different recommendations on the MythTV wiki.

My current xorg.conf and Xorg.0.log are attached. Is anyone using the GeForce 8400 GS card and having similar problems? What are some of the common resolutions for a picture too large for the television?
Same problem here with 8600GT; S-Video has not only very noticeable clipping at the edges, but also some 3 degrees rotation, pretty poor. My cheap 6200 card was way better in this regard. In the 8600, if you maximize a window on the tv screen, you don't see the window border nor the status bar. really bad.

Hopefully at some point the NVidia folks will add the option to scale down the TVout output (scale up is already supported) in nvidia settings. And rotation control wouldn't be a bad idea either. The windows driver apparently supports this already.

No high hopes though. Nvidia linux support reacts very slowly if at all. The infamous black window bug comes to mind. It's a pitty, because the HW is good.
ari.reads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-08, 07:25 AM   #3
zzztownsend

Hi fresnel I have exactly the same problem on ubuntu 7.10 with my new card Asus EN 8400 GS which I assume is the Geforce 8400 GS.

The restricted driver with ubuntu (verstion 100.??? cant remember) and 169.07 installed using ENVY (see www.albertomilone.com) work perfectly with my monitor - very impressed with this part. However have had great difficulty getting the TV-out to work (svideo on card to scart on TV) - within X about an inch of desktop is lost around the edge of the screen. I have tried lots of hacking about with xorg.conf 'option "TVStandard" "PAL-I" ' etc etc but no success. This is very frustrating as when booting with the TV alone, the POST and Ubuntu slash screens display perfectly right up until X starts the NVIDIA driver.

I have been gradually suspecting a bug in the driver and seeing as you have the same problem I am going to write an email to NVIDIA to ask if they can look into it. I am in the UK - PAL tv system - where are you??? It looks to me like the NVIDIA driver is failing to detect (and use if manually set in xorg.conf options) the correct settings for TV-out.

In the meantime and perhaps more helpfully for you I have found a workaround.....
If I boot ubuntu using a clean install (ie no NVIDIA driver) then it defaults to using the 'vesa' driver. If I boot with only the TV plugged and no monitor then the screen displays correctly on the TV with no cropping. The best resolution I can get is 800x600 but this is fine for a standard TV.
This also works with a ubuntu 7.10 live CD in 'safe graphics mode'

You don't get all the clever accelleration and 3D stuff but at least I can get on with configuring my MYTHBOX.......!!!

Please can you post where you are? I'm in UK with PAL tv. Maybe you could email nvidia on this as well so I'm not a lone voice? Also let me know if you get a better solution?
Best of luck

Matt
zzztownsend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-08, 08:07 AM   #4
fesnel

Hi Matt,

I'm in the US, so I'm trying to use NTSC-M. After more testing I found that when I use the SVIDEO->COMPOSITE adapter and run in COMPOSITE mode the screen is completely black in X. However, if use the same adapter but force SVIDEO mode the output is gray scale but the screen is still about an inch too wide all around. There is definitely some driver problem that is causing the screen output to be too large.

Unfortunately after spending several hours tweaking my xorg.conf with nearly every combination of options I have not found a solution. I decided to reshuffle some hardware and I'm now running my mythtv box off an older Pentium 4 machine using a GeForce FX 5700LE card with SVIDEO output. This card works great even with the latest 169.07 driver.

Mike
fesnel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-08, 06:16 PM   #5
irpug

I am new to the forium, but thought I would share that I have the same problem with the 8500, using MythDora 4.0. I am using the Component output of TV out in an attempt to get some HD resolution, and have tried several settings but the picture is just too big for the TV screen (cutting off top so I cannot see menu bar). The picture I do have is certainly not 720p or 1080i either. I have not given up with changing resolution settings, but it sounds like driver issue since there are several different GPU's bu the same driver.

Pug
irpug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-08, 01:05 PM   #6
ari.reads

Default 169.12 - Re: TV Output screen size too large on GeForce 8400 GS (v. 169.07)

The problem stands in 169.12 as well.

I think the bottom line is that the linux driver is missing a feature that the windows driver has had for long.

Feature request: Please add a TV-OUT scaling-down option that allows for shrinking the TV Out output by a configurable percentage. Currently the linux driver supports scaling-up, but not scaling-down.

NVIDIA folks, please don't treat your linux users as second class customers. We need the same features, and we need them soon. The windows driver even allows for rotation adjustment of tv out, which would also be very welcome here.

Thanks.
ari.reads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-08, 12:49 AM   #7
XioXouS

I have this same problem with an 8500 GT. TV output is too large for the actual screen, but works as expected with an older 6800 card. Similar results with all driver versions 169.09 thru 173.14.09. Any insight would be most appreciated. Thanks.
XioXouS is offline   Reply With Quote