Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > Crysis

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-30-07, 01:24 PM   #13
Nanosuitguy
call me Nano

Send a message via MSN to Nanosuitguy
Default Re: Tweaking Crysis with Gaco Retail_Tweak_Config_v1.0 Can it get any better on Vista?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital_Trans
I'm after good visuals and tweaked performance. What do I need to do in order to achieve this?
You need to create a file called system.cfg then open it with notepad then copy this into it:

con_restricted = 0
sys_spec_GameEffects = 3
sys_spec_ObjectDetail = 3
sys_spec_Particles = 3
sys_spec_Physics = 3
sys_spec_PostProcessing = 3
sys_spec_Shading = 3
sys_spec_Shadows = 3
sys_spec_Sound = 4
sys_spec_Texture = 3
sys_spec_VolumetricEffects = 3
sys_spec_Water = 3
sys_budget_videomem = 512
sys_budget_sysmem = 2048
sys_physics_CPU = 0

r_MultiGPU = 0

r_TerrainAO_FadeDist=1
r_TexturesStreaming=0
r_TexAtlasSize=2048

r_Flares = 1
r_Coronas = 1
r_UseEdgeAA = 1
r_sunshafts = 1
r_colorgrading = 1
r_UsePom = 0
r_Beams = 3
r_BeamsDistFactor = 0.02
r_BeamsMaxSlices = 175
r_MotionBlur = 4
r_DepthOfField = 2
r_WaterGodRays = 1

e_water_ocean_fft = 1
e_water_tesselation_amount = 10
e_obj_quality=4
e_view_dist_ratio_vegetation = 45
e_view_dist_ratio = 60
e_view_dist_ratio_detail = 30
e_detail_materials_view_dist_xy = 4096
e_detail_materials_view_dist_z = 256
e_particles_lod=0.7
e_vegetation_min_size=1.5
e_gsm_lods_num=4
e_shadows_from_terrain_in_all_lods=0
e_shadows_max_texture_size=1024
e_vegetation_sprites_distance_ratio=1.2
e_lods = 1

es_OnDemandPhysics = 1
s_MaxChannels = 24
g_battleDust_enable = 1

q_ShaderGeneral=3
q_ShaderMetal=3
q_ShaderGlass=2
q_ShaderVegetation=3
q_ShaderIce=3
q_ShaderTerrain=3
q_ShaderShadow=3
q_ShaderFX=3
q_ShaderPostProcess=3
q_ShaderHDR=3
q_ShaderSky=2
q_Renderer=3

Then you need to put in into your main crysis directory here;
C;\Program Files\Electronic Arts\Crytek\Crysis

With this cfg it keeps the veryhigh settings but increases the fps about 10 up. So about 10 fps plus from regular veryhigh where no tweaks where used.. so if you get around 15 - 20 fps in 1280x1024 and veryhigh then you'll get 25 - 30 fps with this
Nanosuitguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-07, 01:34 PM   #14
raystone57
far out

Default Re: Tweaking Crysis with Gaco Retail_Tweak_Config_v1.0 Can it get any better on Vista?

Got to try it, would so love to jack up a few details in the snow/ice exterior levels. And be able to move in them.
raystone57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-07, 02:55 PM   #15
Digital_Trans

What about running it at 1920x1200? Also is this for DirectX 9 or 10?
Do I also need to put in my Crysis short cut the following command?

"G:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\Crytek\Crysis\Bin64\Crysis.exe" -dx9 ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanosuitguy
You need to create a file called system.cfg then open it with notepad then copy this into it:

con_restricted = 0
sys_spec_GameEffects = 3
sys_spec_Particles = 3
sys_spec_Physics = 3
sys_spec_Shading = 3
sys_spec_Shadows = 3
sys_spec_Sound = 4
sys_spec_Texture = 3
sys_spec_Water = 3
sys_budget_sysmem = 2048
sys_physics_CPU = 0

r_MultiGPU = 0

r_TerrainAO_FadeDist=1
r_TexturesStreaming=0
r_TexAtlasSize=2048

r_Flares = 1
r_Coronas = 1
r_UseEdgeAA = 1
r_sunshafts = 1
r_colorgrading = 1
r_UsePom = 0
r_Beams = 3
r_BeamsDistFactor = 0.02
r_BeamsMaxSlices = 175
r_MotionBlur = 4
r_DepthOfField = 2
r_WaterGodRays = 1

e_water_ocean_fft = 1
e_obj_quality=4
e_view_dist_ratio = 60
e_particles_lod=0.7
e_vegetation_min_size=1.5
e_gsm_lods_num=4
e_shadows_max_texture_size=1024
e_vegetation_sprites_distance_ratio=1.2
e_lods = 1

es_OnDemandPhysics = 1
s_MaxChannels = 24
g_battleDust_enable = 1

q_ShaderGeneral=3
q_ShaderMetal=3
q_ShaderGlass=2
q_ShaderVegetation=3
q_ShaderIce=3
q_ShaderTerrain=3
q_ShaderShadow=3
q_ShaderFX=3
q_ShaderPostProcess=3
q_ShaderHDR=3
q_ShaderSky=2
q_Renderer=3

Then you need to put in into your main crysis directory here;
C;\Program Files\Electronic Arts\Crytek\Crysis

With this cfg it keeps the veryhigh settings but increases the fps about 10 up. So about 10 fps plus from regular veryhigh where no tweaks where used.. so if you get around 15 - 20 fps in 1280x1024 and veryhigh then you'll get 25 - 30 fps with this
CPU: Intel Core 2 Extreme QX9770 Quad 3.8GHz LCi
RAM: Corsair 4GB DDR3 1800 (PC3 14400)
GPU: 3 X EVGA GTX 280 FTW Edition TRI-SLI
HDD: 3 X 150GB WD Raptor-X
HDD: 1 - 500GB Seagate Barracuda
HDD: 1 - 640GB WD Caviar SE
DVD: 2 X Ultra Slim 20X IDE DVD/CD Writer
SPU: Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty PCI-Express
LG Super Multi Blu-ray RW/HDDVD: GGW-H20L
Display: Dell UltraSharp 30" LCD
Gateway XHD3000 Black 30" LCD
Windows Vista Ultimate Edition x64 SP1
Digital_Trans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-07, 06:13 PM   #16
Nanosuitguy
call me Nano

Default Re: Tweaking Crysis with Gaco Retail_Tweak_Config_v1.0 Can it get any better on Vista

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital_Trans
What about running it at 1920x1200? Also is this for DirectX 9 or 10?
Do I also need to put in my Crysis short cut the following command?

"G:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\Crytek\Crysis\Bin64\Crysis.exe" -dx9 ?
forget 1920x1200 if you want to play on higer settings. Its just too demanding. If you want to go fo 1920x1200 then you wil probably have to play on high-medium... 1280x1024 is the maximum if you want to go with my tweak.

Yes, you need to do that -dx9 to run in dx9 mode... its a good idea.
Old 12-30-07, 06:38 PM   #17
sytaylor
Cerebral Barbarian

Default Re: Tweaking Crysis with Gaco Retail_Tweak_Config_v1.0 Can it get any better on Vista

Quote:
forget 1920x1200 if you want to play on higer settings. Its just too demanding. If you want to go fo 1920x1200 then you wil probably have to play on high-medium... 1280x1024 is the maximum if you want to go with my tweak.

Yes, you need to do that -dx9 to run in dx9 mode... its a good idea.
Or you can right click on the icon in your my games folder (start>games), and chose "Run DX9".

I'm quite impressed with this board. I've googled a few things for crysis and ended up right back here over the last few days.

Tangent: I'm also impressed that the newer versions of firefox have a spell checker. Making my life FAR more coherent.
Yuraku 24" Widescreen monitor

It saddens me that I need the following to post here:

Disclaimer: Any views expressed in the above post under the psuedonym "sytaylor" are entirely subjective and do not reflect the views of any business, company or entity associated with Simon Taylor. The use, copying of or editing of any materials within this post for professional purposes without written permission is stricly prohibitted under the UK Right of Privacy as provided in the Human Rights Act 1998 and the European Convention on Human Rights: Article 10 ECHR. Any attempt to use the information herin shall be subject to the Data Protection Act and Freedom of Information act, with damages being saught for defamation. This disclaimer applies to all text, images or media on this domain.

You have been warned.
My Blog
sytaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-07, 08:46 PM   #18
Gaco
L4D & DoW2 ftw!

Naturally I'm still interesting in improving and optimizing my config having spend so much time into tweaking Crysis back at release. However I feel it somehow does more harm than good when somebody just comes around and says "lookie here I have a tweak which is better in performance and quality than Gaco 1.01" without specifying why. No offense but it's highly unscientific and just adds to the confusion in the config jungle. I know it's more work but you should really hold all parameters but one constant and test each one's impact and visuals and performance individually instead of just throwing a little of this and some of that in there. So lets try and make a direct comparison so we in the end eventually will end up with two configs based on preferences for various quality/performance assessions i.e. prioritisations, not "this is better than that definitively". To do it properly we still have some testing to do. I don't know when or if I will have the time to test, but here is the preparatory work I've done (comments in red italic):

PRESENT FOR BOTH, SAME VALUES:
-------------------------------------
sys_spec_GameEffects = 3
sys_spec_Particles = 3
sys_spec_Physics = 3
sys_spec_Quality = 3
sys_spec_Shading = 3
sys_spec_Shadows = 3
sys_spec_Texture = 3
sys_spec_Water = 3

r_TexturesStreaming=0
r_colorgrading = 1
r_UseEdgeAA = 1

r_WaterGodRays = 1
r_sunshafts = 1

e_water_ocean_fft = 1

g_battleDust_enable = 1

r_TexturesStreaming=0

q_renderer = 3
q_ShaderGeneral = 3
q_ShaderPostProcess = 3
q_ShaderShadow = 3
q_ShaderMetal = 3
q_ShaderHDR = 3
q_ShaderVegetation = 3
q_ShaderIce=3
q_ShaderFX = 3
q_ShaderTerrain=3

PRESENT FOR BOTH, DIFFERENT VALUES:
------------------------------------------
r_MotionBlur = (Gaco=0, Nano=4) - you prefer motion blur? Fine, but as far as I recall, it takes a good chunk of performance, we can test it again. This is a setting of personal taste, I had it on in 1.0 and off in 1.01
q_ShaderGlass = (Gaco=3, Nano=2) - all of these q_Shader settings set to 2 means that it's equivalent to medium instead of high, but I take that you're well aware of that and have made this choice. Do you reckon this downgrades to 2 instead of 3 have a relatively big impact on performance? Otherwise I want them just left on 3 for myself..
q_ShaderSky = (Gaco=3, Nano=2)
q_ShaderSky=(Gaco=3, Nano=2)
e_vegetation_sprites_distance_ratio = (Gaco=1.5, Nano=1.2)
r_UsePom = (Gaco=1, Nano=0) - I just want to note that this is a relatively major player in both eye candy and performance - turning it off won't give you parallax occlusion mapping aka. "3D-textures" that adds depth to sand, rock and other stuff. Eats up around 2-4 FPS in scenes where it's used I think

GACO EXCLUSIVE:
--------------------
es_DebrisLifetimeScale = 1 - This and the next two is just minor stuff like ragdoll physics being applied to bodies and physics being applied to debris a little bit longer
g_ragdollDistance = 40
g_ragdollMinTime = 20

q_ShaderWater = 3 - I doubt that you can convince me to downgrade it from high to medium but you can try if you have a good reason?

NANOSUITGUY EXCLUSIVE:
-----------------------------
sys_budget_sysmem = 2048 - Is this really necessary?

sys_physics_CPU = 0 - Isn't this the setting used when you want to capture a massive physics movie but how is this relavant to realtime gameplay?

r_TerrainAO_FadeDist=1
r_TexAtlasSize=2048 - I remember this one in particular as one of those where I didn't see enough difference to the single FPS I lost or something of that sorts. We can test it again if you think it's worth checking out
r_BeamsDistFactor = 0.02 - This is the beam setting below downgrades the beams a bit quality-wise from the high setting - how much does it give? Is it worth it? If you do not know the answer, this is once more a thing that needs testing
r_BeamsMaxSlices = 175
r_DepthOfField = 2 - Interestingly this looks like one of the few that gives a very high setting by making distant mountains blurry as well. I assume that this doesn't take up any real performance, so this might go in my 1.02 if I make such, but I won't make it for this setting alone

e_view_dist_ratio = 60 - I guess we need to test these e_view_dist_ratios as well but I think I remember tampering with them with no satisfactory result for performance at least. I could give it another try.

e_particles_lod=0.7 - I'm pretty sure this is the one I saw Mad Boris' screenshots and performance comparison and there was barely a difference at all so I don't see any reason to downgrade it from high-default 1.0 to .7, correct me if I'm wrong
e_vegetation_min_size=1.5 - I think another one of those that I thought cost too much performance, but I'm not 100% sure about this one, can may have to test again

e_gsm_lods_num=4 - I don't remember having any experience with this and the next five parameters so this needs explaining or checking out
e_lods = 1
e_obj_quality=4
es_OnDemandPhysics = 1
s_MaxChannels = 24

NANOSUITGUY EXCLUSIVE, OBSOLETE:
----------------------------------------
sys_spec_Sound = 4 - as far as I know you can't set any sys_spec commands to 4 in DX9 mode, so what is the deal?

r_MultiGPU = 0 - this defaults to auto detection (setting 2), why change it?

r_Flares = 1 - already the default value at high settings
r_Coronas = 1 - already the default value at high settings
r_Beams = 3 - already the default value at high settings

e_shadows_max_texture_size=1024 - already the default value at high settings

Now I remember fiddling around with those view dist values but at the time I thought it gave me unacceptable performance, some good 3 FPS lower than the 1.01. But Nanosuitguy it is simply wrong when you state that my tweak has performance equivalent to that of very high settings, it's VERY untrue. Lets work together with the tweaking and do the proper testing and in the end we can split on key settings that will come down to personal preference, but there's no reason to (unintentionally?) lie about anything. But we got some good testing ahead of us now if we want to get to the bottom of this
CPU: Intel Core2 Q6600@3.3ghz w. Noctua NH-U12P
RAM: 4Gb Crucial Tracer PC-8500
Graphics: XFX Radeon HD 5970 Black Edition
Harddiscs: 2xRaptorX 150gb 10.000 RPM in RAID0
Soundcard: X-Fi Xtreme Gamer
Sound: Sennheiser HD600 Headphones + headamp
Keyboard: Logitech DiNovo Edge
Mouse: Razor Orochi
Monitor: Samsung 2232BW (22" 1680*1050)
Gaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-07, 09:46 PM   #19
Nanosuitguy
call me Nano

Allright Gaco, lets work together. But lets face it, i tried your config on 1280x1024 and experienced a fps around 20... With my config i get 25 - 30, most around 30 at the same resolution. Witch i see is alot better. Also i was running the demo back then so doh.. Now i got the full game and tomorrow am gonna try both your config and my config out once again. You and I shall make the very best config out there and then upload it on places, digg it, forums, stickies.. It shall be, out finest hours *calm trums* (like in those ww2 movies)

So lets get to work tomorrow Gaco! And let us celebrate the new year, the year of crysis!
Old 01-04-08, 10:20 AM   #20
ASUSEN7900GTX

Gaco NAno make a good CFG one that has ggreat visuals at no performance cost well lees or more since visuals kill performance sometimes and Crysis is one for sure to do that. Since you too tamper the most with it

PS youŽll be like Starsky and hutch only at making a killer .cfg for crysis
Asus P6t deluxe V2

"be to others as you want others to be against you"
some wiseass came up with it
ASUSEN7900GTX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-04-08, 10:34 AM   #21
Nanosuitguy
call me Nano

Man, i just compared Gacos and my own config now when i got the fullversion... And surprisingly Gacos had a few fps more than mine. That wasn't the case when i first tried them both out in the demo. I had over 25 fps most of the time, between 25 and 30 fps. Now i had between 20 and 25

I dont know what to say, hands down Gaco... However, the performance is only a few fps better than the veryhigh dx9 tweak. So theres no big deal really. Lets just wait for the patch to come out for better performacen. Or alternatively get the 9800Gx2 in february...

PS, Starsky and hutch sucks...
Old 01-04-08, 10:54 AM   #22
Gaco
L4D & DoW2 ftw!

Quote:
Man, i just compared Gacos and my own config now when i got the fullversion... And surprisingly Gacos had a few fps more than mine. That wasn't the case when i first tried them both out in the demo. I had over 25 fps most of the time, between 25 and 30 fps. Now i had between 20 and 25

I dont know what to say, hands down Gaco... However, the performance is only a few fps better than the veryhigh dx9 tweak. So theres no big deal really. Lets just wait for the patch to come out for better performacen. Or alternatively get the 9800Gx2 in february...

PS, Starsky and hutch sucks...
Yes I had 5 FPS worse performance with your config in the benches as well, but I didn't want to discuss with you and tamper with configs hours after hours again. So I'm still viewing my config as the best IMO

And heck yeah I'm buying that 9800GTX when it comes..
CPU: Intel Core2 Q6600@3.3ghz w. Noctua NH-U12P
RAM: 4Gb Crucial Tracer PC-8500
Graphics: XFX Radeon HD 5970 Black Edition
Harddiscs: 2xRaptorX 150gb 10.000 RPM in RAID0
Soundcard: X-Fi Xtreme Gamer
Sound: Sennheiser HD600 Headphones + headamp
Keyboard: Logitech DiNovo Edge
Mouse: Razor Orochi
Monitor: Samsung 2232BW (22" 1680*1050)
Gaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-08, 12:59 PM   #23
ASUSEN7900GTX

mot the original starsky&hutch the new gay movie sucks donkey balls big time

well seems no matter wich .cfg i use i canŽt use AA at all if i do bye bye fps
Asus P6t deluxe V2

"be to others as you want others to be against you"
some wiseass came up with it
ASUSEN7900GTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-08, 10:12 PM   #24
Nanosuitguy
call me Nano

Geforce 9 ALL THE WAY BABY;

Cost whatever it must cost, am getting on of these in february... Or maybe 4 to a quad-SLI setup, as this is a 2-gpu based card i will have 8 gpu's in one system, man thats gonna rock! Also i hope i can play crysis on veryhigh with some AA in some big resolution and have over 30 fps.. kthxbye