Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Home Theater A/V

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-29-07, 10:00 AM   #1
cheiface777

Red face only 1 HDMI slot

I just got a new HDTV Cable box and a new upconvertible DVD. Both have HDMI - my Tv Mitsubishi 52525 only has 1 hdmi slot. So I assume I use it for the DVD and cables for the HDTV box. Is this right or can I daisy chain them? if so how?

Also with the DVD - HDMI is supposed to carry both audio & Video - so how do i hook the audio to my home theater? (Yamaha HTR 5750) - the pionoeer dvd does not have an optical connection - it has a digital. The Yamaha only digital connection if for the CD - so I guess I can hook the dvd in there?

Please help thanks.
Chief
cheiface777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-07, 10:10 AM   #2
shabby
Forcefed GXP

Default Re: only 1 HDMI slot

I would connect the hdtv box with hdmi and the dvd with component, not sure about the hdmi audio part but i believe your receiver would need to have hdmi input for it to work. And yes hook up the dvd to the digital(coaxial) input.
Old 12-29-07, 10:11 AM   #3
Revs

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheiface777
I just got a new HDTV Cable box and a new upconvertible DVD. Both have HDMI - my Tv Mitsubishi 52525 only has 1 hdmi slot. So I assume I use it for the DVD and cables for the HDTV box. Is this right or can I daisy chain them? if so how?

Also with the DVD - HDMI is supposed to carry both audio & Video - so how do i hook the audio to my home theater? (Yamaha HTR 5750) - the pionoeer dvd does not have an optical connection - it has a digital. The Yamaha only digital connection if for the CD - so I guess I can hook the dvd in there?

Please help thanks.
Chief
Hi Cheif. Welcome to NVN

Yes, the sound will be sent down the HDMI cable, but I think it's sterio only (not 100% on that though). As for the DVD audio, you'll just have to try it. If it's in 'CD mode' it might only pick up two channels.
Revs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-07, 10:20 AM   #4
evilchris

Quote:

Please help thanks.
Chief
Optical is digital.

Here is the back of his unit people:

http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/p...ETYP=RELATION#

That would suck if the Yamaha won't let you map the digital coax to whatever input you want. Your TV also has a digital out, but it too is coax instead of optical:

http://download.jazel.net/misc/filec...961-525_OG.pdf

It looks like your receiver has its digital inputs hard mapped, sucks.
Old 12-29-07, 01:25 PM   #5
Ruined

Quote:
Why not just get a cheap HDMI switcher?
http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

Quote:
Sure, that should work fine. Or, if you want to use the optical on your receiver, get a converter like this:

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700 2.66GHz CPU | Intel G965WH mobo | 8GB (4x2GB) DDR2-667mhz CAS5 RAM (1066MHz FSB) | BFG GeForce 285 GTX OC 1GB | Dell E228WFP 22" DVI-HDCP LCD Monitor | 1TB Western Digital RE3 SATA2 Main Drive | 500GBx2 Western Digital RE3 SATA2 Scratch Drives in RAID0 | Western Digital RE3 1TB SATA2 Media Drive | External 2TB Western Digital MyBook Backup Drive | Adaptec eSATA 3.0gbps PCI-E interface | Sandisk External 12-in-1 Flash Card Reader | LG GGC-H20L HD DVD/BD reader, DVD writer | LG GGW-H20L HD DVD/BD reader, DVD/BD writer | Microsoft E4000 Ergonomic Keyboard | Logitech Trackman Wheel | Antec P182 ATX Case | Thermaltake ToughPower XT 850w modular PSU | KRK RP-8 Rokit Studio Monitors | Windows Vista Ultimate x64
Ruined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-07, 09:00 PM   #6
Ruined

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=Gib-McFragger=-
I would use component for the cable box and HDMI for the DVD player. Remember that the DVD player with NOT upconvert DVD's unless you use HDMI. You will not notice any difference in PQ on your HD cable box if you use good component cables vs an HDMI cable.
True, but if the cable box has DVR capabilities he may be unable to playback/record HDCP protected HD material.

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700 2.66GHz CPU | Intel G965WH mobo | 8GB (4x2GB) DDR2-667mhz CAS5 RAM (1066MHz FSB) | BFG GeForce 285 GTX OC 1GB | Dell E228WFP 22" DVI-HDCP LCD Monitor | 1TB Western Digital RE3 SATA2 Main Drive | 500GBx2 Western Digital RE3 SATA2 Scratch Drives in RAID0 | Western Digital RE3 1TB SATA2 Media Drive | External 2TB Western Digital MyBook Backup Drive | Adaptec eSATA 3.0gbps PCI-E interface | Sandisk External 12-in-1 Flash Card Reader | LG GGC-H20L HD DVD/BD reader, DVD writer | LG GGW-H20L HD DVD/BD reader, DVD/BD writer | Microsoft E4000 Ergonomic Keyboard | Logitech Trackman Wheel | Antec P182 ATX Case | Thermaltake ToughPower XT 850w modular PSU | KRK RP-8 Rokit Studio Monitors | Windows Vista Ultimate x64
Ruined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-07, 09:16 PM   #7
mythy
Single Male

get a oppo HDMI switcher

---Q6600 @3.45 430FSB - P5K Deluxe---
---1066 5-4-4-12 PL6! - 257 GTX OCed---
---ASUS Xonar DX - Dell 2407 24 LCD---
mythy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-07, 01:01 AM   #8
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger

Yeah a cheap HDMI switch will do if you if you don't want to buy anything big. I have a cheap one I'm using till we move. Works pretty well, has it's own remote and works with my harmony. Can even draw power from USB.
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-03-08, 02:50 PM   #9
cheiface777

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruined
Why not just get a cheap HDMI switcher?

Sure, that should work fine. Or, if you want to use the optical on your receiver, get a converter like this:
Thank you. I had no idea!
cheiface777 is offline   Reply With Quote