Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-30-07, 05:00 PM   #25
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger
Default Re: PC gaming and my view of things to come

I found LP much better WITH a 360 controller. Although it was still playable with keyboard/mouse. It's just not as streamlined when changing from foot, to mech and into other mech modes.
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-07, 05:01 PM   #26
Tuningmaster
*BANNED*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mythy

If i wanted to use a ****ing xbox controller I might as well play it on one. I have a PC how does making me want to use my keyboard make me dumb?

Actually I think you should just get a console because you obviously dont have the patience for PC gaming.

Second of all I beat LP with a keyboard and mouse just fine so I dont know wtf your problem is.
Tuningmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-07, 05:03 PM   #27
Tuningmaster
*BANNED*

Quote:
Originally Posted by crainger
I found LP much better WITH a 360 controller. Although it was still playable with keyboard/mouse. It's just not as streamlined when changing from foot, to mech and into other mech modes.

Same here but mythy thinks its a sin to own an Xbox 360 controller unless you actually have the console to go with it.
Old 12-30-07, 05:05 PM   #28
mythy
Single Male

My problem is PC games are being ruined by Xbox. There adding Live and keeping Xbox assignments in the menus. There making games that could have been great on the PC and turning them into ok games so that they can run on consoles. Thats my problem. PC games should be PC games and console games should be console games. The development should be separate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuningmaster
Same here but mythy thinks its a sin to own an Xbox 360 controller unless you actually have the console to go with it.

I honestly have considered getting one. But in allhonesty I just want a great PC game like before all this console crap started. I wish developers would take time to utilize a PC more and not ruin good games. Look at deus ex 2 for instance it could have been great but nope. The mouse lag and controls were the result of Xbox development

---Q6600 @3.45 430FSB - P5K Deluxe---
---1066 5-4-4-12 PL6! - 257 GTX OCed---
---ASUS Xonar DX - Dell 2407 24 LCD---
mythy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-07, 05:06 PM   #29
Tuningmaster
*BANNED*

Quote:
There making games that could have been great on the PC and turning them into ok games so that they can run on consoles. Thats my problem. PC games should be PC games and console games should be console games. The development should be separate.

You do realize that most games (ports) are actually on Xbox 360 first and then ported to the PC do you not?

So tell me again how PC gaming is being ruined by the Xbox?

I like a lot of 360 games and I like them even better on my High end PC with better textures, AA and AF along with higher framerates.
Old 12-30-07, 05:07 PM   #30
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger

Well I do own a 360, but I had the 360 controller long before I had the 360. It's a great controller and works well with a lot of games, particularly ports.

I think people forget Gamepads have been used on PC since before mice! Keyboards have always been there, but when I sat down to play OMF:2097. I used a gamepad, not a mouse.
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-07, 05:09 PM   #31
Nitz Walsh

The standardized 360 controller is definitely something MS did right for PC gaming IMO. There are a lot of games where mouse/keyboard is not the best controller, and in some games where it's good for one section, poor for the next.

I'm not sure if all, but many Games for Windows titles switch their on-screen instructions based on the control scheme you have selected, which is miles ahead of the hacked gamepad support in other games (playing with the gamepad, on-screen selection appears - "Push the spacebar to..." AUGH!).

I see nothing wrong with encouraging a standardized controller layout, mouse/keyboard support is hardly going to go away as you know...developers can expect that most PC owners likely have them already.
Nitz Walsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-07, 05:09 PM   #32
mythy
Single Male

Quote:
You do realize that most games (ports) are actually on Xbox 360 first and then ported to the PC do you not?

So tell me again how PC gaming is being ruined by the Xbox?

You do know that PC games were first developed on the PC for the PC and that PC games are made on a PC for Xbox. The best games ever made came before the time of the Xbox and multi platform games.

---Q6600 @3.45 430FSB - P5K Deluxe---
---1066 5-4-4-12 PL6! - 257 GTX OCed---
---ASUS Xonar DX - Dell 2407 24 LCD---
mythy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-30-07, 05:22 PM   #33
Nitz Walsh

Quote:
I like a lot of 360 games and I like them even better on my High end PC with better textures, AA and AF along with higher framerates.
Same here. I have a 360 as well, but am holding out on purchasing titles for it that are coming to the PC as they will just play so much better. 30fps and sub-720p games suck, you're at the mercy of the developer when they feel tearing or 15fps is acceptable for a gaming experience - Mass Effect, I'm looking at you. Not to mention mods - cripes, the mods for Half Life 2 alone for single player are astounding, where on Xbox marketplace they're charging you 2$ for frickin' background themes. Please.

The price argument falls flatter by the day as well; a great gaming PC is ridiculously cheap. I saw an ad for a local Best Buy here in Toronto that was advertising an HP system: 3 gigs of ram, AMD 6000+ CPU, 500GB HD, 2400XT PCI-16X, DVD-RW with Lightscribe...$599. You could take on a good 20" monitor and ATI Radeon 3850 and still come in under $1000 for a complete system that will run 360 ports far better than the originals, and native PC titles like HL2 Orange Box/FEAR will absolutely blow away the console versions. Heck, it's even damn pretty - I love those glossy black HP desktop cases!

It's a great time to be a PC gamer IMO. That's not to say there still aren't problems with the platform, piracy and complexity are still largely unresolved, but there's a huge selection of good, solid games for most genres - aside from sports.
Old 12-30-07, 05:23 PM   #34
Nitz Walsh

Quote:
You do know that PC games were first developed on the PC for the PC and that PC games are made on a PC for Xbox.
The development environment actually has little to do with how easy it is to port the game to the PC, as the architecture is so different on the 360 optimizing a game for it is going to be quite different than optimizing it for another platform. Just the fact that the 360 developer is using Visual Studio means very little with regards to it being "native" on the PC.
Old 12-30-07, 05:40 PM   #35
DoomUK

Send a message via MSN to DoomUK

I agree with you about Crysis. It sucked.

I think we all go through stages where we think PC gaming in general is going downhill.

Right now though it's pretty damn good IMO. Most of the top titles that grace the consoles are available, or are soon-to-be available on PC. A lot of great games on the horizon. Plus, we have STALKER .
AMD X2 4400+ Toledo | Asus A8N-SLI SE | 2GB Kingston HyperX DDR400 | Leadtek 8800GT ZL 512MB | Creative SB Audigy 2 ZS Plat' | Creative Inspire 6.1 | 200GB Seagate Barracuda SATA-II | 500GB Seagate Barracuda SATA-II | 180GB Hitachi Deskstar PATA | 19" AG Neovo F-419 | OCZ PowerStream 600W | WinXP Home SP3 | WinVista Ultimate x86 SP1
DoomUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-07, 07:56 PM   #36
Koko56

Quote:
Here my vision of a PERFECT game. Please tell me if I'm crazy or not

The atmosphere is a combination of COD4 (snipper level) The dence brush the trees ect. Now add to this the STALKER mutants the radiation ect. Now go on and strip the sounds and add those from Far Cry 2 (you can hear them in the demo vids)

That would be a very suspenseful game. So much brush and erie sounds. Creatures popping out of the tall grass and ruined buildings. The wind howling the tress flexing from the wind gusts. The sun sets its nearly pitch black now. All you can see is a few stars and a pair of glowing eyes to your right in the brush. A gust of wind rattles the near by trees and you hear howling in the back ground...

Now Imagen a game world as vast as oblivion x2 and you can freely roam the world collecting guns and ammo, food and information. Just trying to survive . Now that would be a ****ing GREAT game. Its all about atmospheres and style not console sales and ports!
That sounds like a bigger STALKER to me. Seriously - let STALKER absorb you, it's absolutely incredible. While I do agree with you on some points you made, some were a bit silly. I mean, how can you not like Episode 2? Did not you know that it was gonna be short? You could try ArmA if you want good teamwork. A few RTSes would be good too if you like them.

Here is a quick list of game that are good in no particular order:
STALKER
Crysis
R6V
The Orange Box
BF2
WiC
GTR2
ArmA
BF2
SupCom
CoH
RBR

Try them! I have only played R6V, BF2, Crysis, OB, GTR2, RBR and STALKER and found them to be very good, and some were absolutely magnificent. I'm sure the rest are just as good though. Heck, replay a few of the older games like Deus Ex, HL2, some BF2, GTA:SA, NOLF 2, SS2...

Quote:
Originally Posted by crainger
PC gaming is going down hill, not because of the games. It's because of us! We complain about everything, some of us pirate, others are only interested in graphics so we install look at the graphics uninstall and that's it. I can really see why consoles are more inviting with the changing industry. Games cost a lot to make and money needs to be made. PC isn't the platform to do that anymore. ::

We do have hope however. Europe. PC is still the dominant platform and we have had some really good titles come out of there. The number crunchers at Crytek don't count though. EA got to them a long time ago. ::
Crytek is out? Why do you think that? We do have some good titles, and some of us do b1tch excessively - I've noticed that on PCGamer and [H]ard too. Some of the threads are rather to say the least. I personally have enjoyed this year, games-wise.