Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Closed Thread

Old 01-02-08, 01:52 PM   #49
DoomUK

Send a message via MSN to DoomUK
Default Re: STALKER CLEAR SKY some news

Why are people so hung up on graphics? It makes for nice screenshots but it has nothing to do with how good/immersive a game is.

Besides, I think STALKER is a beautiful game. While it may lack the technical prowess of Crysis, Far Cry 2, blah blah, it's an accurate representation of Chernobyl: moody, desolate, eerie. It's an extremely atmospheric game.

Plus there are mods which soup up it's lighting system, which make it look a lot prettier.
AMD X2 4400+ Toledo | Asus A8N-SLI SE | 2GB Kingston HyperX DDR400 | Leadtek 8800GT ZL 512MB | Creative SB Audigy 2 ZS Plat' | Creative Inspire 6.1 | 200GB Seagate Barracuda SATA-II | 500GB Seagate Barracuda SATA-II | 180GB Hitachi Deskstar PATA | 19" AG Neovo F-419 | OCZ PowerStream 600W | WinXP Home SP3 | WinVista Ultimate x86 SP1
Old 01-02-08, 02:10 PM   #50
Muppet

Stalker is a fantastic game. The gameplay is what makes it what it is. IMO it blows Crysis away ( not in the graphics dept.) but gameplay wise. It is just so much better. The whole atmosphere is incredible.
Asus Rampage IV Extreme Black Edition | Intel 4930k | SS Phasechange | 16GB Corsair Platinum DDR3 1866 | Asus GTX680 x2 SLI | Corsair AX1200 Watt PSU | Lian-Li PC-8NWX | Intel 520 120Gb SSD x2 | Samsung S27A950D 27" 120Hz | HP ZR24w 24" S-IPS x3 Nvidia Surround @6000x1200 | Xonar Essence STX
Old 01-02-08, 02:14 PM   #51
mythy
Single Male

Yea but I think it could be so much more. My biggest issue is with its lack of enviorment. It has every thing just not enough. Its to barren. Theres a heck of allot more trees and vines and brush in real life then there is in the game. My guess is they were afraid of putting to much of a load on the rendering system or they didn't have the time to load the levels up with shrubs. Heck I don't know the world just seamed so barren to me. I got decent amout of images from pirat and in every one its over grown with plant life and the game is seriously lacking.

---Q6600 @3.45 430FSB - P5K Deluxe---
---1066 5-4-4-12 PL6! - 257 GTX OCed---
---ASUS Xonar DX - Dell 2407 24 LCD---
Old 01-02-08, 02:17 PM   #52
Jonelo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mythy
no I can simply look at it and notice theres low poly models here and there. The tress are dead give away and the lighting system sucks. I don't know what its called but after seeing the lighting in Far Cry 2 every thing else is just crap.

Maybe you know what it is I'm talking about?
You saw the videos - with the old version of the engine ?

Well I imagine you have played the game. And where have you seen the lighting of Far Cry 2, in the videos of youtube ?
Old 01-02-08, 02:18 PM   #53
Muppet

But that is probably exactually how they wanted it to look. I mean they wanted it to look like what could happen after a nuclear disaster. Personally I loved the enviroment.
Asus Rampage IV Extreme Black Edition | Intel 4930k | SS Phasechange | 16GB Corsair Platinum DDR3 1866 | Asus GTX680 x2 SLI | Corsair AX1200 Watt PSU | Lian-Li PC-8NWX | Intel 520 120Gb SSD x2 | Samsung S27A950D 27" 120Hz | HP ZR24w 24" S-IPS x3 Nvidia Surround @6000x1200 | Xonar Essence STX
Old 01-02-08, 02:25 PM   #54
mythy
Single Male

No it was a tech trailer on shack news I believe. For instance in Stalker when you enter a rail car and look up its all lit. but why? it should be darker the deeper down the trailer you go. Its not tho its just bland constant lighting. Same in Crysis you go in a shack and the cealing is just the same lighting every where it doesn't change. If you look at far cry 2 under the roofs and other areas its dark like it should be and light is reflected off of items and lights up the surroundings accordingly. I'm not sure what this is called but it looks freaking amazing in comparison to crysis or stalker.

here this is what I'm talking about

Old 01-02-08, 02:26 PM   #55
Tuningmaster
*BANNED*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muppet
But that is probably exactually how they wanted it to look. I mean they wanted it to look like what could happen after a nuclear disaster. Personally I loved the enviroment.

Exactly, Stalker is not suppose to be a lush bright and sunny Island with colorful trees everywhere. lol.
Old 01-02-08, 02:27 PM   #56
mythy
Single Male

I agree i would like to see it dark eerie and dence with brush and mutants

Old 01-02-08, 02:29 PM   #57
Jonelo

You have this feature in Stalker, ambient oclusion precalculate.

Quote:
9.4.2 Ambient Occlusion
Our most ambitious goal in writing S.T.A.L.K.E.R.’s second renderer was to create a
purely dynamic renderer that didn’t depend on any precalculation, especially for the
lighting environment. We met the goal, with two exceptions:

1. The sector-portal structure and low-polygonal geometry used for occlusion culling
was already available from the data set created for the first renderer.
2. The ambient occlusion term was available too, but it was stored mostly in light
maps, used by the first renderer.
Using visibility data may seem like a compromise, but this data doesn’t require much
preprocessing (we don’t use any sort of PVS and mostly rely on occlusion culling). On
the other hand, using light maps for the ambient occlusion term seemed to be a big
waste of both memory and designer time. Instead, we stored the occlusion term in an
unused per-vertex component, and this worked well enough for S.T.A.L.K.E.R. The
way we handle it: tessellating original geometry up to a constant edge length (0.5 meters
in our case), then applying adaptive tessellation, estimating both edge error and the
triangle-middle-point error up to a minimum edge length (0.1 meters in our case). The
next step was simplification based on the Quadric Error Metric algorithm (see Garland
and Heckbert 1998 and Hoppe 1999) with intermediate errors recomputed at each
iteration with a simple placement policy of three variants: edge middle, first, or second
vertex. We do allow no more than a 10 percent increase in vertex count and use a fixed
maximal error limit, but in practice we did not reach this limit on vertices on all of our
levels. Although we still allow the usage of light maps to store the ambient occlusion
term, we encourage artists to shift to a vertex-based solution. The result: our first renderer
was changed to use the vertex-based ambient occlusion, too.
Old 01-02-08, 02:29 PM   #58
Tuningmaster
*BANNED*

Quote:
I agree i would like to see it dark eerie and dence with brush and mutants
Well it already is ya know.
Old 01-02-08, 02:31 PM   #59
Tuningmaster
*BANNED*

Quote:

I dont know but I sure do hope Far Cry 2 is gonna look better than that and the only thing I really notice any different between those two pics are that the shadows are darker in the second pic.
Old 01-02-08, 02:32 PM   #60
mythy
Single Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonelo
You have this feature in Stalker, ambient oclusion .

well I played threw it twice and never seen it so wtf?!?! I can load it up and take screens of it NOT being there if that helps

Closed Thread