Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > General Software

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-02-08, 09:56 AM   #1
RLemmon

Exclamation Norton Internet Security Auto Protect Error *FIX*

Hello all,

I recentley had a friend who has sbc yahoo dsl internet and he uses the yahoo web browser that's included with the hardware package when ordering dsl internet and I downloaded the security package that comes with it from yahoo and NIS is included for free and I downloaded this and installed it with some other free things from yahoo to help his computer stay free of bugs and worms that could do harm to his new computer until about a few days ago when he called me and said there was a error about Nortons auto protect and that it could not start and that he needed to click the fix button to turn it back on but when you clicked it nothing happened.

So I went deeper in to the internet looking for help but to no help but lots of others are having this problem so I was happy that I am not the only one but I did find out what was causing the problem and I wanted to share the information to every one else just to hope that it helps them.

The Steps I Took To Fix The Problem.......
----------------------------------------------

If you have dsl like my friend and they have a web browser that they want you to use then try this and it should turn on auto update....

sign off of the internet so that when you open the internet web browser and not IE 7 but sbcs web browser by yahoo it has to have you sign in with a user e-mail and a user password and then restart the computer and notice that this works and Nortons auto protect feature is on now and now you can sign back on and wala! every thing should work fine.....

Another Method To Try Out
----------------------------------------------------

When you use the included web browser and you use the included yahoo instent messanger and even if it's the updated version 8.x and this yahoo instent messanger starts up at the same time as Norton then for some reason it don't let auto protect start up so if you like your browser signed in all the time and not having to sign out at all like the above method then sign in the the web browser and then open up Yahoo Instent Messanger and under the area where there is a box that says remember me and blah blah blah un-tick the option to connect on start or somthing like that so it don't sign you in automaticalley then go to your file menu and look through the prefrence area and don't let yahoo instent messanger start when windows starts up and you have to do both things for this to work and then apply the settings and close out and restart the computer and auto protect will be on at fresh boot.......

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please if this don't work for you then I am sorry and you can try going to msconfig and at the startup tab un-check any diffrent things and write them down and mess with it till you find your software that is conflicting with Norton and mess with it that way and this takes awhile but this is how I found out it was yahoo Messanger.

If any of this helps for you please let me know that it helped you and pass this on to others and I hope Symantec can fix this bug or if it's yahoo I hope there next update fixes this as well....

Thanks for trying this solutuion if you do and I hope to god that it helps some one out there....

Regards, Rocxy(Rocky) Lemmon
RLemmon is offline   Reply With Quote