Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-02-08, 11:43 AM   #1
SeriTonin
*BANNED*

Default Well this helped the bad graphics in UT3..make it look like GoW w/ this mod

I went searching through the epic forums and found a neat little mod, this mod allows you to play the game in 3rd person, ala gears of war - it still needs work and the controls take about a half hour to get used to, but i'll be damned if this didn't help the overall look of the game, backing your camera up, behind your character, and making the textures more compact, thus looking nicer and more detailed.....I also installed the new 3.5 tweaker, which is much improved over 3.0 which had a bug that actually lowered detail rather than raise it - that bug is fixed in 3.5.

I have to say, the game is still a chore to get into but at least, to me anyways, graphically it looks more on par with Gow now that I have the 3rd person view...brings something new to the gameplay, for those of you like me, that pissed away $50 on this lemon.

http://img293.imageshack.us/my.php?i...oncam04ve5.jpg (check out the pic)

http://forums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=595600 (3rd person mod)

http://forums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=594723 (graphics mod 3.5)
SeriTonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-08, 12:12 PM   #2
ViN86

Default Re: Well this helped the bad graphics in UT3..make it look like GoW w/ this mod

holy ****, awesome find

im going to try out that UT3 tweaker when i get home
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-08, 01:04 PM   #3
grey_1

Default Re: Well this helped the bad graphics in UT3..make it look like GoW w/ this mod

Retail UT3 is really that bad? I haven't followed it much since release, but I didn't realize it was so lacking.
Old 01-02-08, 01:06 PM   #4
DoomUK

Send a message via MSN to DoomUK

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_1
Retail UT3 is really that bad? I haven't followed it much since release, but I didn't realize it was so lacking.
I was thinking the same thing. I played the demo, looked extremely pretty to me *shrugs*.
AMD X2 4400+ Toledo | Asus A8N-SLI SE | 2GB Kingston HyperX DDR400 | Leadtek 8800GT ZL 512MB | Creative SB Audigy 2 ZS Plat' | Creative Inspire 6.1 | 200GB Seagate Barracuda SATA-II | 500GB Seagate Barracuda SATA-II | 180GB Hitachi Deskstar PATA | 19" AG Neovo F-419 | OCZ PowerStream 600W | WinXP Home SP3 | WinVista Ultimate x86 SP1
DoomUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-08, 01:07 PM   #5
Q

Quote:
It's bad, but its hard to point at one thing and say "wow, that's awful". Individually, each part is pretty good: gameplay, graphics (debatable), etc. However, all of it together just doesn't click like the earlier games did.
Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-08, 01:09 PM   #6
methimpikehoses

I don't see the difference in those shots, other than it's a little bit darker.
Old 01-02-08, 01:10 PM   #7
SeriTonin
*BANNED*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q
It's bad, but its hard to point at one thing and say "wow, that's awful". Individually, each part is pretty good: gameplay, graphics (debatable), etc. However, all of it together just doesn't click like the earlier games did.
I'm gonna have to agree, everything seems ok when looked individually, except the graphics imo. But all together, it just doesn't mesh well.

Personally, between the 3rd person view and this tweaker, I really don't have many complaints about the graphics now, I find it very similar to Gears of War, which I feel is still one of the best looking games around.

With these two files, my graphics gripe is pretty much over, now it's the lack of maps, the sh*t maps we do have, the lack of modes like bombing run (which there is a mod for luckily) the same gameplay, the raped onslaught, etc.

Like I said in a previous thread, UT3 doesn't seem like it got the time it should have. Seems all the $$ and effort went into gears 360 - UT3 feels like a beta and the mod community is expected to make it retail.
Old 01-02-08, 01:35 PM   #8
grey_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q
That makes sense. I had pretty conflicting feelings about it playing the demo, then read several claims that much was left out texture wise, so blew it off.

I think I'll still get this for the coop if nothing else. My brother and I have been beating GoW to death, we need new coop!

Old 01-02-08, 03:49 PM   #9
t3hl33td4rg0n
Dethklok Returns!

Send a message via AIM to t3hl33td4rg0n Send a message via MSN to t3hl33td4rg0n Send a message via Yahoo to t3hl33td4rg0n

I got the retail copy and I've been having a blast with it!

Intel QX9650 @ 3.83GHzXFX 780ieVGA GTX 560Ti8GB GSkill DDR800Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium PCI-ESeagate 1.5TB . 4x Samsung 2TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by MowTin View Post
....it's so clear how government makes things worse not better...
t3hl33td4rg0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-08, 04:00 PM   #10
SeriTonin
*BANNED*

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3hl33td4rg0n
I got the retail copy and I've been having a blast with it!
Mr. Rein?!? Is that you?!?!?!?!
Old 01-02-08, 04:02 PM   #11
SeriTonin
*BANNED*

Quote:
Originally Posted by methimpikehoses
I don't see the difference in those shots, other than it's a little bit darker.
Well, like I said, I use both mods - the tweaker and the 3rd person mode. I admit, the tweaker alone doesn't seem to do much for first person view, but with this 3rd person hack - playing it like gow gives it some new life, for me at least, and that 3rd person hack defintely improves the graphics - for the simple fact that it takes you away from the textures and put the camera behind the character, which makes the textures more compact.
Old 01-02-08, 04:09 PM   #12
sammy sung

Quote:
That makes sense. I had pretty conflicting feelings about it playing the demo, then read several claims that much was left out texture wise, so blew it off.

I think I'll still get this for the coop if nothing else. My brother and I have been beating GoW to death, we need new coop!
The single player game that you can play coop is very weak in UT3,its basicly as before with deatmatch games,ctf and the new modes with some forced unconvincing story blended in.Gow is much better for coop tbh.