Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA FreeBSD

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-03-08, 05:03 PM   #1
gigiita

Default broken Linux emulation?

First, many many thanks to nVidia to provide FreeBSD driver. This is absolutely a plus against others.
Now, the problem: nVidia drivers support both native FreeBSD and Linux emulation rendering, but whether FreeBSD native work perfectly, Linux emulation seems to be broken. I have checked many times the README and followed carefully the instruction, tried several drivers versions, search on the forum, but now i am at dead point.
Linux glxinfo report a correct installation (server glx, client glx and OpenGL vendor are all "nVidia"), but direct rendering failed without apparent reason and i obtain a partial acceleration.
It seems that some calls are done in hardware and others in software. This lead to a strange behavior in OpenGL application, with broken textures, flickering poligons and a reduced speed, but not as if it would be done totally in software.
The last thing i tried is to change the osrelease number with sysctl and check the difference with Linux glxinfo:
- sysctl compat.linux.osrelease=2.4.2 -> everything OK, but no direct rendering.
- sysctl compat.linux.osrelease=2.4.20 -> segfault
- sysctl compat.linux.osrelease=2.4 -> segfault
- sysctl compat.linux.osrelease=2.6 -> segfault
- sysctl compat.linux.osrelease=2.6.16 -> segfault
I tried to change the Linux base distribution, but no lucky at all -> segfaults
Any ideas?
Sorry for the long post, and thanks for the help
Gigi
gigiita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-08, 08:41 AM   #2
gigiita

Default Re: broken Linux emulation?

I forgot to mention that i have this problem on an old dual processor Athlon based system, with old AMD chipset.
I read something about the "single thread configuration", with the environment variable GL_SINGLE_THREADED, but sorry, i am not enough expert to understand what this means.
Maybe there could be a problem related to SMP kernel, emulation and multi threading?
Old 01-15-08, 07:21 PM   #3
zander
NVIDIA Corporation

Which driver version are you using and what's the make/model of your CPU? Please generate and attach an nvidia-bug-report.log file.
zander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-08, 08:59 AM   #4
gigiita

I use the latest official driver, but i had the same problems with older drivers.
For "make/model" do you mean my make configuration file?
This is mine:
CPUTYPE=athlon-mp
CFLAGS= -m3dnow -mmmx -O
WITH_NVIDIA_GL=yes
PERL_VER=5.8.8
PERL_VERSION=5.8.8

I attach the nvidia-bug-report here.
By th way, on a fresh installation of FreeBSD 5.5 with old Xorg 6.9, everything works perfectly. I can clearly remember that i had this problem since the adoption of the new Xorg 7.x version. I will try to investigate more, starting from this functioning configuration.

Many thanks for your attention!
gigi
Attached Files
File Type: log nvidia-bug-report.log (63.0 KB, 206 views)
Old 01-24-08, 03:41 PM   #5
gigiita

update:
on FreeBSD 5.5 i upgraded the Linux infrastructure from old linux_base-8 to new linux_base_fc4 and everything still works.
I tried too to upgrade Xorg from 6.9 to 7.3 from the ports, but the compiling failed, as failed my try to use Xfree86 instead.
The last thing i can try is to install a fresh FreeBSD 6.0 with old Xorg and check if Linux direct rendering is functioning.
I strongly suspect that all troubles are generated by the new Xorg 7.x and its difference from the old one, at first the new installation path. Sadly, Xfree86 is deprecated and it will be removed soon.
Old 01-27-08, 09:24 AM   #6
gigiita

Update again:
FreeBSD 6.2 with old Xorg 6.9.0 failed the Linux direct rendering.
Now the trouble seems to be related to FreeBSD 6.x kernels and not to the Xorg infrastructure.
Unfortunately, i can't do more experiments with old FreeBSD 5.5 as many ports, and the base source itself, failed to compile.
Dead point again. I just hope there will be a new rework on the upcoming FreeBSD 7.0
Old 02-29-08, 08:40 AM   #7
gigiita

Ok, in the end i decided to go back to the old FreeBSD 5.5 where Linux acceleration works flawlessly. I was able to build a stable system using a mix of old packages and new ports.
I will continue experiments with new releases of FreeBSD, hoping one day i will be able to use full nVidia power again.
Thanks to all.