Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Home Theater A/V

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-07-08, 11:05 AM   #133
evilchris

Default Re: Warner to go Blu-ray exclusive May 2008!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peoples-Agent
I'm just disappointed the next line of HD media (Blu-Ray) will lack the content and features that HD-DVD already offers, and that isn't likely to change too soon for affordability.
Did you know on some BD's you have to stop the movie to access the menu? lol

It's a crapshoot when buying them, totally random what level of disc authoring you're going to get.
Old 01-07-08, 11:34 AM   #134
ViN86

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.N
Hasnt even started yet? My goodness give it up. Agree with him that HD movie sales dont come close to DVD but with this latest news its half way over. Do you realize the amount of top tier movies Warner Bros. have under them? Now there all going to Blu-ray exclusively. I bet more than half the movies you watched and liked from last year were from Warner Bros.
give what up?

when sales are 1/100th of DVD sales, how can the "war" even begin? just cause they have warner today, means nothing for tomorrow. HD-DVD could buy them back down the road when sales finally start to pick up and they could pull away. or BD could hold onto them and sales will pickup and HD-DVD will be finished.

saying it's half way over is blind and foolish. one victory today means nothing, when it will take many years before either technology has the same usage as DVD.
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-08, 11:47 AM   #135
evilchris

Assuming HD DVD or BD will "replace" DVD is also not a sure thing. Adoption is slow. Most people are happy with their "upconverting 1080p HD" players!

HDM has a great chance of becoming Laserdisc 2.0. That's why HD DVD is so loaded with extras and interactivity. You have to show that you have more than DVD. The picture and sound won't completely sell it.
Old 01-07-08, 11:51 AM   #136
Peoples-Agent
Vape Therapist

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilchris
Did you know on some BD's you have to stop the movie to access the menu? lol

It's a crapshoot when buying them, totally random what level of disc authoring you're going to get.
You got to be kidding me, and this is suppose to be the media choice of the future?

It's terrifying to be honest, after dabbling with Transformers in HD-DVD that set the benchmark for me. I don't care how pointless the online added features are, I just love the fact it's possible. I could sit there for hours messing with that film alone.

Another one I was impressed with was The Kingdom, fantastic release.

The fact these releases were region free meant I actually got my copy of The Kingdom through before Xmas from Dvd World USA with a release date set for Boxing Day. It was still showing at the cinema here in November.

Now i've got use to importing discs with earlier release dates than what we get here, if Blu-Ray is the forced format to take over the crappy region coding will mean months of waiting. It gives me no incentive whatsoever to skip the cinema and buy HD.

That being said, it would account for slack retail sales across Europe... lol

I guess a subscription to HD Review will probably be worthwhile then, if only to gather info about what i'm getting.

This BD 1.0 , 1.1 & 2.0 is utter nonsense and the least consumer friendly practice i've seen in a fair while. I can't imagine what must be going through the mind of those who have sponged hard cash into this format.
Flesh of her flesh they were, spirit of her spirit,
Fallen in the cause of the free.
Peoples-Agent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-08, 11:52 AM   #137
Tr1cK
not coming back

I completely agree Chris.

I know of many people that have a hard time telling the difference between SD and HD.
Tr1cK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-08, 11:54 AM   #138
S.I.N
UnRegistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViN86
give what up?

when sales are 1/100th of DVD sales, how can the "war" even begin? just cause they have warner today, means nothing for tomorrow. HD-DVD could buy them back down the road when sales finally start to pick up and they could pull away. or BD could hold onto them and sales will pickup and HD-DVD will be finished.

saying it's half way over is blind and foolish. one victory today means nothing, when it will take many years before either technology has the same usage as DVD.
At this point it has nothing to really do with sales as HD sales dont even touch 2% of DVD. What it really is about is which format could potentially take the place of DVD which everyone knows wont happen anytime soon but regardless. With Warner Bros. in there pocket they guarantee most of the blockbusters like Batman, Harry Potter and other future releases to only be on Blu-ray. Just add it, all those Disney, Pixar, Fox and potentially HBO releases only on Blu-ray and its almost over for HD-DVD. Watch some of your favorite movies and take note of the studio logo.

And its not really over but would you really go out and buy a HD DVD a year from when you can get a Blu-ray player with 10X the movie exclusives? Soon the enthusiasts market will be gone for HD DVD and it will be the average Joe trying to make a decision. And that decision will be all that easier with nearly every major blockbuster on Blu-ray.
S.I.N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-08, 11:58 AM   #139
ViN86

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.N
At this point it has nothing to really do with sales as HD sales dont even touch 2% of DVD. What it really is about is which format could potentially take the place of DVD which everyone knows wont happen anytime soon but regardless. With Warner Bros. in there pocket they guarantee most of the blockbusters like Batman, Harry Potter and other future releases to only be on Blu-ray. Just add it, all those Disney, Pixar, Fox and potentially HBO releases only on Blu-ray and its almost over for HD-DVD. Watch some of your favorite movies and take note of the studio logo.

And its not really over but would you really go out and buy a HD DVD a year from when you can get a Blu-ray player with 10X the movie exclusives? Soon the enthusiasts market will be gone for HD DVD and it will be the average Joe trying to make a decision. And that decision will be all that easier with nearly every major blockbuster on Blu-ray.
this is the point i am making, though.

arent the exclusivities actually merely contracts? contracts that can and will expire? im saying that if it takes a while to be adopted, then that leaves the door open for changes.

if i am mistaken, then... oops, lol.
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-08, 12:03 PM   #140
evilchris

Quote:
You got to be kidding me, and this is suppose to be the media choice of the future?

It's terrifying to be honest, after dabbling with Transformers in HD-DVD that set the benchmark for me. I don't care how pointless the online added features are, I just love the fact it's possible. I could sit there for hours messing with that film alone.
Transformers HD DVD is what HDM should be about. I assure you there is NOTHING on BD at that level, and probably won't be. Even profile 1.1 BD players cannot do what Transformers has on it.

Instead of saying "yeah wtf" to the studios, BD fanboys just go into full shill mode and say " deerr we don't want that". Idiots.

What would be great is if the BDA used HDi instead of the bull**** BDJ. Sony, believe it or not, voted FOR using Microsoft's HDi, but the rest of the BDA voted it down.

Old 01-07-08, 12:30 PM   #141
Peoples-Agent
Vape Therapist

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilchris
Transformers HD DVD is what HDM should be about. I assure you there is NOTHING on BD at that level, and probably won't be. Even profile 1.1 BD players cannot do what Transformers has on it.

Instead of saying "yeah wtf" to the studios, BD fanboys just go into full shill mode and say " deerr we don't want that". Idiots.

What would be great is if the BDA used HDi instead of the bull**** BDJ. Sony, believe it or not, voted FOR using Microsoft's HDi, but the rest of the BDA voted it down.
What reasons are there for the huge studio backing of Blu-Ray considering it's lack of build quality or features?

Is it simply down to money, or am I missing something here?
Old 01-07-08, 12:35 PM   #142
evilchris

Quote:
What reasons are there for the huge studio backing of Blu-Ray considering it's lack of build quality or features?

Is it simply down to money, or am I missing something here?
Money. It's been BDA money versus Toshiba money since day 1.

Fox/Disney also prefer the cluster**** DRM and region coding of BD. HD DVD as you know has no region coding so timed releases are near impossible.

Don't be fooled by fanboys who spew "Oh Warner just realized the superiority of BD and the 2:1 OMG 2:111111 !!! sales!!!!".

Paramount switch to HD DVD = Money
Warner switch to BD = Money

sales are a drop in the bucket and have no effect on studio support. Sony just did a much job courting, blowing, and paying CE companies and studios from the get go. Toshiba tried to win on merits.
Old 01-07-08, 01:41 PM   #143
Peoples-Agent
Vape Therapist

Not usually one to flog a dead horse, but even in light of this announcement I will still pick up Paramount and Universal films in the format rather than wait for BD ones. *Sigh*

Fingers crossed BDA will pull their finger out and add some decent content to their POS format.
Old 01-07-08, 01:52 PM   #144
evilchris

It's always best to get the HD DVD version if one is available. It will be awhile before/if double dip BD's start appearing with equal features to the HD DVD counterparts.