Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Home Theater A/V

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-07-08, 05:07 PM   #145
Lyme

Default Re: Warner to go Blu-ray exclusive May 2008!

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilchris
Fox/Disney also prefer the cluster**** DRM and region coding of BD. HD DVD as you know has no region coding so timed releases are near impossible.
BD may have to drop region coding once the EU is done with it.
Lyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-08, 05:20 PM   #146
911medic
Is it football season yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peoples-Agent
You got to be kidding me, and this is suppose to be the media choice of the future?

It's terrifying to be honest, after dabbling with Transformers in HD-DVD that set the benchmark for me. I don't care how pointless the online added features are, I just love the fact it's possible. I could sit there for hours messing with that film alone.

Another one I was impressed with was The Kingdom, fantastic release.

The fact these releases were region free meant I actually got my copy of The Kingdom through before Xmas from Dvd World USA with a release date set for Boxing Day. It was still showing at the cinema here in November.

Now i've got use to importing discs with earlier release dates than what we get here, if Blu-Ray is the forced format to take over the crappy region coding will mean months of waiting. It gives me no incentive whatsoever to skip the cinema and buy HD.

That being said, it would account for slack retail sales across Europe... lol

I guess a subscription to HD Review will probably be worthwhile then, if only to gather info about what i'm getting.

This BD 1.0 , 1.1 & 2.0 is utter nonsense and the least consumer friendly practice i've seen in a fair while. I can't imagine what must be going through the mind of those who have sponged hard cash into this format.
It's things like this that pushed me to HD-DVD when I finally decided to jump in.
E4300 @ 3GHz (lapped) || Tuniq Tower 120 (lapped) || Gigabyte EP45-UD3L || eVGA 8800GTS 640MB @ 648/1512/999 || 6GB DDR2-800 @ 5-5-5-15|| 74GB Raptor || 80GB Caviar || 250GB WD || Corsair HX520W || Samsung 225BW 22" LCD (1680x1050) || X-Fi XtremeGamer || Win7 RC x64 || Antec SX1040BII Server Tower || Altec-Lansing ATP3 Speakers
No comprehension to fail; I vacuum the wind for my sail
Can't be the rest; Let others waste my time?
Owning success is the bottom line

911medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-08, 05:22 PM   #147
911medic
Is it football season yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.N
would you really go out and buy a HD DVD a year from when you can get a Blu-ray player with 10X the movie exclusives?
I wouldn't buy one now! (From either camp, actually)
E4300 @ 3GHz (lapped) || Tuniq Tower 120 (lapped) || Gigabyte EP45-UD3L || eVGA 8800GTS 640MB @ 648/1512/999 || 6GB DDR2-800 @ 5-5-5-15|| 74GB Raptor || 80GB Caviar || 250GB WD || Corsair HX520W || Samsung 225BW 22" LCD (1680x1050) || X-Fi XtremeGamer || Win7 RC x64 || Antec SX1040BII Server Tower || Altec-Lansing ATP3 Speakers
No comprehension to fail; I vacuum the wind for my sail
Can't be the rest; Let others waste my time?
Owning success is the bottom line

911medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-08, 05:24 PM   #148
six_storm

Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm

I'm glad that I'll be getting a hybrid player so I can be format neutral. I say as long as the disc can give me the movie in HD, that's all that matters. All of the "interactive content" and stuff really doesn't matter much to me. It's rare that I care enough or get into a movie enough to wanna see behind the scenes and other features of the sort. Just give me the movie in HD, that's all I ask.
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-08, 05:35 PM   #149
evilchris

Quote:
Originally Posted by six_storm
I'm glad that I'll be getting a hybrid player so I can be format neutral. I say as long as the disc can give me the movie in HD, that's all that matters. All of the "interactive content" and stuff really doesn't matter much to me. It's rare that I care enough or get into a movie enough to wanna see behind the scenes and other features of the sort. Just give me the movie in HD, that's all I ask.
Have you seen the Transformers supplemental disc? They aren't possible with DVD or BD.

Have you seen the 300 supplementals? They aren't possible with DVD or BD.

Don't knock it till you try it or assume it's "just some behind the scenes".
Old 01-07-08, 06:40 PM   #150
six_storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilchris
Have you seen the Transformers supplemental disc? They aren't possible with DVD or BD.

Have you seen the 300 supplementals? They aren't possible with DVD or BD.

Don't knock it till you try it or assume it's "just some behind the scenes".
So what's on them that makes them so special? I'm sorry I'm not so obsessed with movies that I just *have* to have supplemental discs or anything like that. I just wanna watch the darn movie lol.

Also answer me this. Just for the movie itself, are there any more differences tech wise between HD-DVD and BR? I remember when BR came out, it was using old codecs and such but it caught up with HD-DVD. Just wondering.
Old 01-07-08, 08:28 PM   #151
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger

HD-DVD has better in movie popup menus. Though the new BD seems ok too from what I've seen on Pirates of the Caribbean AWE.

HD-DVD also seems to have stricter quality control. Better standards as to how a disc will function. BD seems a little more loose and jumbled. Though they were trying to stick with the same menu system for BD disc movie. This seems to have gone by the way side now.

As for movie quality itself... I only have a 360 addon and PS3 with a semi professional calibrated Phillips 1080p TV. Logitech z-5500 for sound. So I can't really judge. ::
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-08, 09:33 PM   #152
Imbroglio
xeroyphyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by six_storm
So what's on them that makes them so special? I'm sorry I'm not so obsessed with movies that I just *have* to have supplemental discs or anything like that. I just wanna watch the darn movie lol.
300 for example has to be the greatest in terms of supplemental features. on hddvd you have the ability to watch the movie without all the cgi added to the movie while watching the movie itself. now you might think, big woop, greenscreen and everything else is makeup, but you would not believe the amount of cgi done to the people and the majority of their actions, I was in awe when I saw this. Now if you were to compare the "bonus" features of the hddvd and bd versions, you would see how little extras bd got. it's all good though, because bd fans don't want that, they just want to watch the movie.

HT: 360 -- Sony60A3000 -- Onkyo SR605 --> Polk cs2, monitor 60s and monitor 40s w/ Bic F12 sub -- PS3
XBL:Mr X3r0 -- PSN:Mr_X3r0

Rig- Asus P6X58D Premium - intel i7 920 @3.6 - EVGA GTX570 - Corsair HX1000 - Prolimatech Mega Shadow - WD640 - COOLER MASTER ATCS 840 - OCZ Gold 6GB DDR3 1600*

Imbroglio is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-07-08, 09:44 PM   #153
six_storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imbroglio
300 for example has to be the greatest in terms of supplemental features. on hddvd you have the ability to watch the movie without all the cgi added to the movie while watching the movie itself. now you might think, big woop, greenscreen and everything else is makeup, but you would not believe the amount of cgi done to the people and the majority of their actions, I was in awe when I saw this. Now if you were to compare the "bonus" features of the hddvd and bd versions, you would see how little extras bd got. it's all good though, because bd fans don't want that, they just want to watch the movie.
Hmm. That's kinda cool. But I'm still not convinced. A movie has to become a cult classic to me for me to be interested in stuff like that. 300 is great, I'm just not that crazy over it. I honestly just wanna watch the movie.
Old 01-07-08, 11:28 PM   #154
NaitoSan
Student @ DigiPen

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/dc409afa-b...nclick_check=1

Hmm, it doesn't look too good for HD-DVD.

Desktop: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.6GHz | ASUS P5K Deluxe/WiFi-AP | 4GB G.Skill F2-6400PHU1 @ 800MHz 4-4-3-5 | EVGA GeForce 8800 GTX 768MB | Western Digital Raptor X 150GB | Samsung 32" HDTV | Windows 7 Professional x64

Note: English is my second language so please bear with my grammar!
NaitoSan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-08, 12:17 AM   #155
Lyme

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaitoSan
http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/dc409afa-b...nclick_check=1

Hmm, it doesn't look too good for HD-DVD.
By the way Stringer intentioned his comment, he makes it sound as through they might be willing to change the spec of BD to incorporate HD features.
Lyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-08, 12:26 AM   #156
LORD-eX-Bu
Horus the pointy master

Dreamworks needs to go BD... I need Gladiator damnit!!