Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Home Theater A/V

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-04-08, 11:15 PM   #37
Rakeesh

Default Re: Warner to go Blu-ray exclusive May 2008!

Meh...I have lost count of the number of times I have heard "the format war is over" "x format wins" etc.

I haven't bought into either format yet, and will not until it really is over. Something tells me that we have a long way to go until that ever happens. Meanwhile I'll continue downloading torrents of whatever I care to see in HD.

Core i7 2600k 4.4Ghz 1.385v | Corsair H60 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 8-8-8-24 | MSI P67A-G45 | OCZ Vertex 3 | Sapphire 7850 OC to Max settings

Rakeesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-08, 11:51 PM   #38
Imbroglio
xeroyphyte

wow, big news indeed. too bad the war isn't over... by any means. paramount still has over a year left on their hddvd exclusivity. blu-ray is still working on standardization across the board. i have a feeling bd profiles won't be done until it passes 2.0, at which point the whole ps3 install base will be a moot point as it can only do core trueHD via bitstream, but that is another story. hddvds won't just dissappear in may, like all these vastly intelligent blog writers would have you believe. i see more and more people saying they'd rather upscale dvds then buy into bd, which is hilarious. atleast the bd prices are coming down, but the whole idea of not being able to play a disc in its entirety to this day still makes me lol (with different profile discs soon to be released).

the expression goes the 3rd time is the charm (beta, umd, blu-ray), but I guess when the charm is a significant payoff to turn the tables we'll find out how that works out for the consumers. i'm worried of what will become of a format built on zero standards by those with a track record of regular failures that was decided based on what occurred in a business room and not letting the consumer make that decision (look how long vhs lasted because it was the consumer's choice). i see a market shift coming in the means of digital downloads/storage (step in microsoft, i had heard this prediction so many times, only now does it seem like this is actually feasible). only time will tell, tis a dark day.

HT: 360 -- Sony60A3000 -- Onkyo SR605 --> Polk cs2, monitor 60s and monitor 40s w/ Bic F12 sub -- PS3
XBL:Mr X3r0 -- PSN:Mr_X3r0

Rig- Asus P6X58D Premium - intel i7 920 @3.6 - EVGA GTX570 - Corsair HX1000 - Prolimatech Mega Shadow - WD640 - COOLER MASTER ATCS 840 - OCZ Gold 6GB DDR3 1600*

Imbroglio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-08, 12:07 AM   #39
evilchris

Quote:
Originally Posted by AthlonXP1800
I think he now ruined and Evilchris too.
I've been format neutral for 2 years. I am on my 3rd HD DVD player and 5th BD player.

HD DVD remains the best format, but no one will argue with $500,000,000. The war was won with money, Sony paid more. Toshiba is definitely not skilled in viral marketeting, hype, and the usual propaganda that Sony excels at in brainwashing the masses. It lost this for them.

The sad thing is there is STILL no Blu-ray player on the market that can decode DTSMA. PS3 can't even bitstream it. If you have a PS3 and a current Fox movie, you get 1997 DTS. I thought this was about "beyond HD"? Two Denons will decode it onboard but start at $1299 to be released next week. The current players are a complete mess. All are obsolete minus the Panasonic BD30 which I use now.
Old 01-05-08, 12:30 AM   #40
CainSyris
This is MY boomstick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilchris
I've been format neutral for 2 years. I am on my 3rd HD DVD player and 5th BD player.

HD DVD remains the best format, but no one will argue with $500,000,000. The war was won with money, Sony paid more. Toshiba is definitely not skilled in viral marketeting, hype, and the usual propaganda that Sony excels at in brainwashing the masses. It lost this for them.

The sad thing is there is STILL no Blu-ray player on the market that can decode DTSMA. PS3 can't even bitstream it. If you have a PS3 and a current Fox movie, you get 1997 DTS. I thought this was about "beyond HD"? Two Denons will decode it onboard but start at $1299 to be released next week. The current players are a complete mess. All are obsolete minus the Panasonic BD30 which I use now.

I've been format neutral since the day the PS3 was released in November 2006. I bought an HD-A1 a week before they were officially released and then an XA2 in Febuary of this year.

I had so many problems with HD DVD's (mostly combos) that I grew to buy BD's over HD DVD's in any situation where there was a choice. The problem discs included Hollywoodland, Children of Men, Smokin' Aces, The Good Shepherd, etc.

I first had problems with my A1. It would skip. This was common and well documented over on AVSforum, as "red" a site as any you'll come across due to the number of consumers who bought the first format that came out. Regardless, it was shown in various polls there that many were suffering from the skipping (where the playback would pause, then sound would be off for a period, it would keep going, and if you paused it, it would come back). Putting the two together, I decided to buy an XA2 and hoped that'd solve my problems and give me 1080p24, which was being promised by Toshiba (via a reseller at avs) in the Feb 2007 timeframe.

Right after I received my XA2, they admitted the firmware wouldn't be done until July 2007. It was actually released in September after they released their new players.

Meanwhile, the problem discs I bought the XA2 were still unworkable. I returned them, tried new discs, and had the same problems. I admit, they were combos. Combos I actually had to pay MORE money for because they didn't give me an option to buy a non-flipper version.

My PS3 is rock-solid stable and beautiful. It did 1080p24 in March/April while Toshiba was still promising that it'd come eventually. They just recently added BD 1.1 format and the system has all the pieces to get BD 2.0, too. Not bad for the third BD player released that also happens to be the fastest and most responsive HDM player out now. Doesn't hurt that it can do a respectable upconversion and may yet get the ability to decode DTS HD MA. Even if it doesn't, its support of the BD-J remains cutting edge.

With Blu-ray in my experience, discs just work. With HD DVD, firmware updates are frequently required just to resolve incompatibilities or glitches. And even now not all of the problems are resolved.

That's MY experience with BD and HD DVD. I own about 100 HD DVD's and 130 BD's. In my experience, Blu-ray is the better experience. Not because the video is better on cross-platform releases, as that's just WB now and WB was always doing its encodes at the LCD bitrates in audio and video (and Paramount before them just had third parties doing low-bit mpeg2 encodes versus avc or vc1), but because when I buy a BD, I know it will work.

I paid more for my PS3 than my A1; and I paid more for my XA2 than I did my PS3. I got what I paid for with the PS3, but I didn't with either the A1 or XA2.

With the end of this format war now that WB (the largest producer of HDM) has seen reason, I am happy to know that the format whose quality I can trust will now offer all the different WB titles I know and love.

I know people who spent $100-200 for a HD DVD player this holiday season are likely suffering for this news, but honestly you tried to save a buck and will now wind up paying that $100-200 PLUS the cost of a Blu-ray player to get new WB HDM releases.

Next time, pick the format that the industry supports and don't delude yourself into thinking just because you buy it, it has to remain. That's silly logic. And before you say, "But the consumers preferred..." I'd remind you of the fact that Blu-ray has won every week this year in sales of discs and players (including the PS3, the most common and arguably still the best BD player available). So clearly there are consumers out there buying BD and more of them than those buying HD DVD.

So the market wanted more BD than HD DVD. Sorry. You might can still sell your HD DVD player. I'm sure thinking about it.
CainSyris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-08, 12:35 AM   #41
evilchris

I have the exact opposite experience. My BD players have been nightmarish. HD DVD, flawless.

I deluded myself? I've been enjoying titles from BOTH camps long before you. The money means nothing to me.

The PS3 is a toy. If it had a Reon or Realta chip in it and *supported* the audio formats across all discs, it might be a good player. For those serious about home theater, it is not. I will not run a player which outputs DTS when DTSMA is on the disc. I will also not run a player that requires you use a goofy bluetooth remote or a video game controller to control it. The Denon 3800 is the *first* acceptable BD player to hit the market. Should street at around $1700 and I will be buying one.

Additionally, HD DVD players are still an excellent buy if you want to watch Transformers, Bourne, and many other movies. I wouldn't wait 12 months for Paramounts exclusivity to run out to save $149.
Old 01-05-08, 12:58 AM   #42
nrdstrm

Well, I've had a PS3 for about 6 months, and I do enjoy the BD playback abilities (audio issues aside, doesn't really bother me much..) That said I was about to pick up an HD-DVD player (one of the cheap ones) to go format neutral, but I am less likely to do so now. If they continue to drop in price based on this announcement, I may pick one up once they reach the $100 delta, just to have one...Honestly, I didn't care who won (or wins), as long as someone did/does, so I hope this is the end (or close to it) finally...

On Any Given Sunday!
nrdstrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-08, 02:45 AM   #43
msxyz
Hybrid Microprocessor

Price
No mandatory AACS
No possibility of BD+
No region coding
Mandatory Ethernet
Finalized specs.

That was what HDDVD offered that BR didn't

This is a victory for Sony. They stuffed the channel with BR players disguised as game consoles and now they're reaping the rewards. Considering the number of PS3s out there, it's already a defeat for the HDM camp in itself that BluRay disks were outselling HDDVD only 2 to 1

If it wasn't for HDDVD, BluRay adopter would still be paying $30 for a MPEG2 movie on a BD-25 disc. That's what they offered at the beginning. With competition gone, there's no more pressure to offer competitive products or prices. The Blu-ray camp has reaffirmed many times that they don't see player prices dropping any further. And without the competition, where's the motivation to bring profile 2.0 players and improve the quite abysmal performance of BD-J? Or to offer high quality transfers, instead of just reusing the same sources, full of defects and horrid noise, just at a higher resolution?