Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Home Theater A/V

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-05-08, 04:44 AM   #49
npras42
Hi Everybody!

Default Re: Warner to go Blu-ray exclusive May 2008!

I think this is the end for HD-DVD but I wouldn't expect them to just roll over and die. A lot of people invested a lot of money in the tech and I don't think they'll just wave a white flag and leave it at that.

Having said that, its about time the war ended. The price of players is down to a reasonable amount ($200) and both are producing good quality films now (BR seems to have caught HD-DVD up in this field even if HD-DVD is still slighlty ahead). The only thing slowing the sales is that you have to have two technologies to watch all the films. Now is the time for one to slowly vanish and let the other consolidate the market. Even if that does have to be Sony.
npras42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-08, 07:31 AM   #50
Mr. Hunt
Rectal Gravy Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilchris
I've been format neutral for 2 years. I am on my 3rd HD DVD player and 5th BD player.

HD DVD remains the best format, but no one will argue with $500,000,000. The war was won with money, Sony paid more. Toshiba is definitely not skilled in viral marketeting, hype, and the usual propaganda that Sony excels at in brainwashing the masses. It lost this for them.

The sad thing is there is STILL no Blu-ray player on the market that can decode DTSMA. PS3 can't even bitstream it. If you have a PS3 and a current Fox movie, you get 1997 DTS. I thought this was about "beyond HD"? Two Denons will decode it onboard but start at $1299 to be released next week. The current players are a complete mess. All are obsolete minus the Panasonic BD30 which I use now.
Right... 1997 DTS... because I got Deep Rising on DVD and it has a 1.5 mbps DTS track. Oh well, if I just put a plus behind the DTS it will be alright for Transformers, right?
Mr. Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-08, 09:28 AM   #51
six_storm

Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm

For most people, price is the biggest issue. HD-DVD has always been the cheaper format and I've read/heard more people going with HD-DVD just because of that fact.

Probably the next HDM player I get will either be the LG HD-DVD/Blu-Ray PC drive for my HTPC or the standalone Samsung BR player (cheapest one).
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-08, 10:14 AM   #52
Danothemano
themanotheman

Quote:
Originally Posted by six_storm
For most people, price is the biggest issue. HD-DVD has always been the cheaper format and I've read/heard more people going with HD-DVD just because of that fact.

Probably the next HDM player I get will either be the LG HD-DVD/Blu-Ray PC drive for my HTPC or the standalone Samsung BR player (cheapest one).
Couldn't agree more. I cant wait to play Both formats on my PC at a cheap cost.
Old 01-05-08, 10:16 AM   #53
Q

I've said this once and I'll say it again: It doesn't matter which format "wins". I have a PS3, five free BR movies, and a 32 inch 1080p TV which I sit a few feet away from. None of the five movies I have (not that they are any epics or anything) look "incredible". I know that I am far from having all the right pieces for the optimal HD experience, but I think I'm closer to what the "average consumer" will own for HD playback in the near future than a home theater enthusiast who really appreciates the subtleties of HD.

The price premium for players and movies is WAY too high for all but the enthusiast consumer. The quality difference between an SD DVD and either of the HD formats is marginal at best to the average consumer (aka where the money is to be made). Evilchris already hit on this point from a different perspective noting that HD sales are only 1% of optical media and dubbed it "Laserdisk 2.0".

This is going to be a much harder sell to consumers than VHS to DVD. DVD offered a big image quality increase, but an even bigger increase in convenience. You don't have to rewind DVDs, if taken care they last much longer than tapes without quality degradation, you can instantly skip to any point in a movie, and you can pack the disk with special features. The only thing HD has going for it is the image quality increase and the possibly better special features.

I'm all for the progression of quality, but unless titles start becoming HD exclusives and the prices of players and media comes down to DVD equivalents, I just don't see the HD/BR DVD market going anywhere in the near future. The quality difference to the average consumer just isn't extraordinary enough to justify the current premiums. In two to three years we'll either starting seeing HD exclusive films or the primings for the introduction of a superior format (or two or three), IMO.
Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-08, 10:25 AM   #54
Gaco
L4D & DoW2 ftw!

Quote:
HDM may die. Look at current adoption rates. It's actually been SLOWING. "Blu-ray won" is a retarded statement. The fight between BD and HD DVD is over 1% of the optical disc market. I am starting to see it as Laserdisc 2.0.
hdm WOULD have been dead because of this destructively prolongued format war, now tht Warner has choosen the same side as the majority of the consumers, the format war is effectively over IMO though it will take some time for HD DVD to move completely out of the picture unless something REALLY unexpected happens here at CES. This is not the end, this is the beginning and DVD was no different position in the same stage of it's lifetime.

Quote:
They are in deep ****. The PS3 is in trouble, they just killed their highest performing display line, BD has cost them BILLIONS and makes them nothing. ( HD DVD and BD sales account for 1% of all optical disc sales ). DVD is 99%.
LOL how can you possibly spin this to "Sony is in deep ****"? Sony has never been in a better position than now. They have basically just won the formatwar of the future HD format. Toshiba and Microsoft are both in deep ****. All these companies made huge investments in their respective format, but Toshiba/MS can't possibly bring it all back in. Sony and it's partners have a good chance at that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by six_storm

HD DVD has always been the inferior format. I'm not saying that the difference is huge, but let's face the facts: HD DVD players were only cheaper because they were inferior 1080i (inferior to Blu-ray's mandatory(you all love that word don't ya? ) 1080p) players and from what I've gathered more problematic during playback. You can't compare apples and oranges, but you can compare 1080p players and those are within 30$ of eachother last time I checked. For once the better format, not the cheaper format won and I can't say I'm complaining...
CPU: Intel Core2 Q6600@3.3ghz w. Noctua NH-U12P
RAM: 4Gb Crucial Tracer PC-8500
Graphics: XFX Radeon HD 5970 Black Edition
Harddiscs: 2xRaptorX 150gb 10.000 RPM in RAID0
Soundcard: X-Fi Xtreme Gamer
Sound: Sennheiser HD600 Headphones + headamp
Keyboard: Logitech DiNovo Edge
Mouse: Razor Orochi
Monitor: Samsung 2232BW (22" 1680*1050)
Gaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-08, 10:38 AM   #55
Peoples-Agent
Vape Therapist

It will be a shame if HD-DVD goes... I don't see why both formats couldn't co-exist offering more choice for the consumer with a fairly even studio split.

Before this announcement things were cruising along nicely, now I face the fact that most of the back catalogue stock will be released with crappy MPEG2 compression.

I'm your average, run of the mill HD venturer.

I don't care for HD sound much and find DTS spot on, but the hardware price ...features, and the fact HD-DVD is region free so I can import US discs suits my needs and wants.

No fecking way i'm paying 20 a disc for Blu-Ray titles.
Flesh of her flesh they were, spirit of her spirit,
Fallen in the cause of the free.
Peoples-Agent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-08, 10:49 AM   #56
Gaco
L4D & DoW2 ftw!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peoples-Agent
It will be a shame if HD-DVD goes... I don't see why both formats couldn't co-exist offering more choice for the consumer with a fairly even studio split.

Before this announcement things were cruising along nicely, now I face the fact that most of the back catalogue stock will be released with crappy MPEG2 compression.

I'm your average, run of the mill HD venturer.

I don't care for HD sound much and find DTS spot on, but the hardware price ...features, and the fact HD-DVD is region free so I can import US discs suits my needs and wants.

No fecking way i'm paying 20 a disc for Blu-Ray titles.
Because two major media formats cannot exists and go mainstream at the same time. There never has been and never will be. Stores would have to find space for 3 different formats for each unique movie title, it's just not practical. I feel the same way about the pricing but I'm also just taking advantage of 3 for 2 offers on UK websites at the moment. Other than that I'm holding off to buy titles until prices come down (and they will) so until then I'm just renting BD's which cost the same in Blockbuster as renting DVD's (in Denmark at least). It's always something that 65-70% of Blu-ray releases ARE region code free anyway though we can expect this retio to decrease in the future.

I'm just happy that this format war is starting to end. With it going on there would never be enough consumers buying into HDM in fear of choosing the loosing format. But actually I guess Toshiba can still pull something crazy off like paying for a BD studio to go neutral at CES that will make it even again, who knows. But any blu studio would be crazy to move towards red at this point, there'd have to be A LOT of money involved. It's exciting times for HDM right now in any case

Old 01-05-08, 11:24 AM   #57
Peoples-Agent
Vape Therapist

Toshiba have said they aren't calling it a day, I really hope they have some real answers soon.

Would be ace to have both formats in a collection.
Flesh of her flesh they were, spirit of her spirit,
Fallen in the cause of the free.
Peoples-Agent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-08, 11:26 AM   #58
S.I.N
UnRegistered User

Thing is I think HD DVD still have a chance if they undersell more than what there doing now with Blu-ray. Flood the market with $99.99 or even $79.99 players. Numbers speak and if you can get a HD DVD player for the same price of about a regular good DVD player I think they can hang in there. You can say they will lose too much money but they have more to lose by not attempting something drastic.

Also they must be kicking them self for not biting the bullet and costs by getting Microsoft to put them into XBox 360's. If they did there would be 17 million of them out there right now, half would be dead but they would still have the numbers to dictate everything.
S.I.N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-08, 11:34 AM   #59
Gaco
L4D & DoW2 ftw!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peoples-Agent
Toshiba have said they aren't calling it a day, I really hope they have some real answers soon.

Would be ace to have both formats in a collection.
Where have you read that they're not giving up? I haven't read either statement, but so far they've cancelled their HD DVD press conference that was due for tomorrow..
Old 01-05-08, 11:42 AM   #60
evilchris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hunt
Right... 1997 DTS... because I got Deep Rising on DVD and it has a 1.5 mbps DTS track. Oh well, if I just put a plus behind the DTS it will be alright for Transformers, right?
DD+ is an entirely different encoding process which is superior to DTS ES Discrete. Learn yourself sometime.