Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Home Theater A/V

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-05-08, 02:26 PM   #73
evilchris

Default Re: Warner to go Blu-ray exclusive May 2008!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hunt
Who wants to buy into a format that has very few great movies released when you can spend a little more to get a format that has 95% of the blockbusters? Only us true movie fans.... but we just want HD.
Hunt thats a load of **** and you know it. BD does not have "95%" of the Blockbusters. Maybe 95% of what YOU want. HD DVD is 85% of my collection with 15% BD. Very few good BD titles. I think Spiderman and POTC are crap. Dual format releases like 300 always go HD DVD since it is a superior version with interactivity. WB was great with web extras, those will be gone now since only one single BD player has a working Ethernet port, and you will have to wait for the firmware to enable profile 2.0. HD DVD, had it from the start.
Old 01-05-08, 02:45 PM   #74
evilchris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hunt
Who wants to buy into a console that has very few great games released when you can spend a little less to get a console that has 95% of the games? Only us true gamers.... but we just want games.
lol, fixed
Old 01-05-08, 03:19 PM   #75
Peoples-Agent
Vape Therapist

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilchris
lol, fixed
hahaha

Oh well, I will continue to buy HD-DVDs if only for the classics.

I must be getting old perhaps, my recent HD-DVD buys are The Thing and The Shining and already have Black Rain, Blade Runner and Full Metal Jacket.

Everytime I browse for releases I instantly look out for older films that will now look better.

I just find it amazing how I can watch say Black Rain and the movie feels and sounds like a recent release except Douglas had decades of ageing knocked off him, very surreal.

Blade Runner too, still bodes well against more recent films once it's given the HD treatment.

I am literally praying for something to keep the parity that's been intact so far, dual format releases would be ideal. I could enjoy the interactivity of HD-DVD for some movies such as online features and so forth and simply buy Blu-Ray for mainly their Fox titles. The rest i'm not too bothered about.
Flesh of her flesh they were, spirit of her spirit,
Fallen in the cause of the free.
Peoples-Agent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-08, 04:19 PM   #76
msxyz
Hybrid Microprocessor

The guys at AVS forums have another interesting theory:

Quote:
1. Warner and Fox were going to go to HD DVD to end this.
2. Payola happened and Fox stayed pat so Warner went Blu.
3. Toshiba had no idea this was coming until just recently.
Theory seems plausible. The BR camp had an installed base advantage (thanks to PS3) but its attach rate is poor (I read 1,5 BR movies for every player) while the HDDVD camp was smaller but businness was healthy.

Favouring HDVDD would have meant DVD production costs at "next gen" profit (here in Italy it's €19-29 for an HD movie vs 5-15 for a DVD one, and I bet it's the same in the rest of the world). Both Fox and Warner knew that if they made an alliance whatever format they decided to support would have won.

Enter "x" that convinces Fox (through money, of course) to remain on the BR camp. Warner might have been surprised but decides to stick to the plan and jumps on BR wagon.

I'm really convinced that Toshiba didn't knew this was coming. A variant of the HDDVD (it's just the same drive with a different laser modulation system) is being evaluated to become THE next gen format in China. This country has a histhory of not-so-good relationships with Sony and the movie industry in general so they are basically siding with whom makes them paying less royalties. So Toshiba (which, btw, is as big as Sony and sells a lot of electronics components even to Sony itself because that's their core businness) wasn't prepared to this blow.

At this point, HDDVD has little hope of regaining momentum in the rest of the world. If Microsoft is smart, it will produce a Bluray addon for the Xbox 360 as they told they would if this format had emerged. A 99$ addon and a cheap core unit will steal some thunder from the PS3 and would make its life harder.

If I were Microsoft, I'd make Bluray disc backup a mandatory feature in Vista, just to piss off Sony and the other studios or force them to shift to digital distribution

Oh, btw, here in Europe the antitrust commission is probing Sony and the BDA association. If it ends up like Microsoft with Media Player, Sony might be forced to remove its Bluray playback abilities from the PS3 or face a huge fine for anticompetitive practices Now, that would be fun to see!
XFX 9600GSO 384MB
Little freak wonder
msxyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-08, 05:03 PM   #77
ViN86

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumstheword
I'm not sure MS has as much riding on HD-DVD as toshiba. There's a reason why there's no built in HD-DVD player in the 360. MS tested the field with the add-on drive, but more than likely they'll be rolling out a blu-ray add-on within the foreseeable future.
yes... but....

if the following is true, then MS will drop some cash and end this.
http://stuff.tv/News/BIG-IN-2008-Xbox-Ultimate/
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-08, 05:56 PM   #78
msxyz
Hybrid Microprocessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter Bandit
The European Antitrust Commission is mentally retarded.
At least we have an institution that tries to defend consumers (although its decisions are sometimes shortsighted or are a classic case of "too little, too late")

Free market without regulations or control is an utopy. Businness is amoral and it would soon degenarate. It's already a mess as it is, since legislators can be easily bribed (well, most of them...) and the masses can be brainwashed into believing they still have choice.