Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Home Theater A/V

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-06-08, 09:10 AM   #97
Gaco
L4D & DoW2 ftw!

Default Re: Warner to go Blu-ray exclusive May 2008!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peoples-Agent
That's still hear say, but they will be plugging discs in both formats.

Whoever releases the first cost effective dual format standalone player are set to prosper here, even if HD-DVD bites the bullet people will still be able to enjoy their collection aswell as buying into the Blu-Ray boom.
What makes you think that there will be any market for cost-efficient dualplayers now that HD DVD is dying? There are not that many HD DVD owners out there, heck even up till now the dual players have been expensive like ****, but there ARE many potential Blu-ray consumers out there that haven't bought into HDM yet. I wouldn't bet on there being enough competition on dualplayers or incentive for the hardware producers to make them that they will come down in price for a long time, but who knows I might be wrong. Maybe cheap dualplayers is a part of a potential deal that Toshiba can do with Sony when negotiating the losing terms
CPU: Intel Core2 Q6600@3.3ghz w. Noctua NH-U12P
RAM: 4Gb Crucial Tracer PC-8500
Graphics: XFX Radeon HD 5970 Black Edition
Harddiscs: 2xRaptorX 150gb 10.000 RPM in RAID0
Soundcard: X-Fi Xtreme Gamer
Sound: Sennheiser HD600 Headphones + headamp
Keyboard: Logitech DiNovo Edge
Mouse: Razor Orochi
Monitor: Samsung 2232BW (22" 1680*1050)
Gaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-08, 10:16 AM   #98
Imbroglio
xeroyphyte

everyone all the sudden gets blu balls over 1% of the market share. mark my words, i've heard from enough ppl already that they refuse to buy into the sony machine, HDM will not die, but when it's all over, i highly doubt it will be BD. digital dwnlds are what Microsoft wants, that was obvious from the iptv/media center announcement so of course they won't throw money at warner. it's estimated that around 48% of americans have broadband connections in their home, while at the same time only around 44% have hdtvs. that may seem like a small percentage difference, but that is actually just over 12 million people in america alone. digital distribution will soon be turned to as you do not need an expensive set to benefit from that.

HT: 360 -- Sony60A3000 -- Onkyo SR605 --> Polk cs2, monitor 60s and monitor 40s w/ Bic F12 sub -- PS3
XBL:Mr X3r0 -- PSN:Mr_X3r0

Rig- Asus P6X58D Premium - intel i7 920 @3.6 - EVGA GTX570 - Corsair HX1000 - Prolimatech Mega Shadow - WD640 - COOLER MASTER ATCS 840 - OCZ Gold 6GB DDR3 1600*

Imbroglio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-08, 10:53 AM   #99
mumstheword

Quote:
Originally Posted by npras42
Some BR players are already cheaper than PS3s so I don't see why anyone would buy a PS3 just to play BR films.
The Sony BDPS300 and samsung bdp1400 are terrible. Even if you can get a good quality player at the price range of a PS3, why not just get the PS3?
mumstheword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-08, 10:56 AM   #100
msxyz
Hybrid Microprocessor

Bill Gates' keynote at CES will be this evening . It will be interesting to see if he has something to say regarding the format war or if he will pretend nothing has happened.

He is rumored to have a big surprise in store.
XFX 9600GSO 384MB
Little freak wonder
msxyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-08, 11:07 AM   #101
mumstheword

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imbroglio
everyone all the sudden gets blu balls over 1% of the market share. mark my words, i've heard from enough ppl already that they refuse to buy into the sony machine, HDM will not die, but when it's all over, i highly doubt it will be BD. digital dwnlds are what Microsoft wants, that was obvious from the iptv/media center announcement so of course they won't throw money at warner. it's estimated that around 48% of americans have broadband connections in their home, while at the same time only around 44% have hdtvs. that may seem like a small percentage difference, but that is actually just over 12 million people in america alone. digital distribution will soon be turned to as you do not need an expensive set to benefit from that.
But you will need expensive set-top boxes. Unless they are provided free.

The other problem with digital downloads is portability. Will you be able to transfer movies to a portable mediaplayer to watch on a set-up box at another household. I mean, if that will be the direction of digital downloads for movies that would be something.
mumstheword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-08, 11:26 AM   #102
Gaco
L4D & DoW2 ftw!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imbroglio
This is an old discussion but I'll say it again: It will still take at least 10+ years for digital distributaion of HD movies to be matured. Currently the bandwidth is simply not there, the infrastructure is simply not there and we will first have to go though a transition period where people will have get to use to not buying and owning a physical medium for their movies. Ieckon it'd be at least 15+ years (at least!) before anything that resembles Blu-ray quality will be there. Abd if people experience a "buffering" messege just once throughout the movie or just timefractions of macroblocking while the connection is struggling to stream the content, it'll be a huge turnoff for anyone. And what if you actually don't want to just rent a movie but own a movie you have to be garanteed that you will somehow still have access to it for free if the that particular service goes bankrupt (I don't see this as a huge concern however and some measures will be taken I think). As mentioned there is also the issue of portability.

Online digital distributation for movies is not about to kill any physical format these first years.. DD is a part of the future, it's just a more distant future than some of you think.
CPU: Intel Core2 Q6600@3.3ghz w. Noctua NH-U12P
RAM: 4Gb Crucial Tracer PC-8500
Graphics: XFX Radeon HD 5970 Black Edition
Harddiscs: 2xRaptorX 150gb 10.000 RPM in RAID0
Soundcard: X-Fi Xtreme Gamer
Sound: Sennheiser HD600 Headphones + headamp
Keyboard: Logitech DiNovo Edge
Mouse: Razor Orochi
Monitor: Samsung 2232BW (22" 1680*1050)
Gaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-08, 11:32 AM   #103
fizzelopeguss

Such sweet bitter tears.

Bu-Bu-But digital downloads!? My ass, the broadband in this country is a ****ing joke, right now i'm having trouble streaming a bloody SD video off gametrailers for goodness sake.

This is off a supposed 8meg BT connection and they own the god damn lines.
fizzelopeguss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-08, 12:05 PM   #104
evilchris

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumstheword
The Sony BDPS300 and samsung bdp1400 are terrible. Even if you can get a good quality player at the price range of a PS3, why not just get the PS3?
No capability whatsoever for DTSMA and complete silence from Sony on the issue.

Horrible control via game controller or bluetooth remote.

PS3 needs some kind of IR addon.

Old 01-06-08, 12:08 PM   #105
evilchris

Several of you above seem to think the Internet is required for digital distribution. Ever hear of HD VOD? My cable company has it. It is currently about 2/3 the quality of HD DVD/BD. Still "HD-lite", but the cable co can push about 500Mbps to every cable box in their network. This is not Internet throughput or bandwidth, this is the cable network.

Digital distribution != computer download. Has nothing to do with broadband Internet.
Old 01-06-08, 12:11 PM   #106
evilchris

Quote:
Originally Posted by msxyz
Bill Gates' keynote at CES will be this evening . It will be interesting to see if he has something to say regarding the format war or if he will pretend nothing has happened.

He is rumored to have a big surprise in store.
I don't think Microsoft gives a ****. Too many people liken HD DVD v BD to X360 v PS3. Completely unrelated.
Old 01-06-08, 01:46 PM   #107
Lyme

uh oh.. looks like Warner may be breaking a/some contracts with Toshiba in their move.. I guess money will be changing hands after all

http://www.reuters.com/article/press...08+PRN20080104
Lyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-08, 03:05 PM   #108
911medic
Is it football season yet

I felt sick when I read about the Warner Bros. move... On 12/31 I ordered an HD-A3 w/the 10 free HD movies from Amazon.com for $180. It arrives tomorrow. I've already printed out the return paperwork.

I was thinking this stalemate would last a few more years, but I'm not buying a $180 player that may be relegated to upconverting standard DVDs in 12-18 months with no new content being sold. Now I'm going to wait and see how this all shakes out.

I'm bummed; I was really looking forward to using that player..
E4300 @ 3GHz (lapped) || Tuniq Tower 120 (lapped) || Gigabyte EP45-UD3L || eVGA 8800GTS 640MB @ 648/1512/999 || 6GB DDR2-800 @ 5-5-5-15|| 74GB Raptor || 80GB Caviar || 250GB WD || Corsair HX520W || Samsung 225BW 22" LCD (1680x1050) || X-Fi XtremeGamer || Win7 RC x64 || Antec SX1040BII Server Tower || Altec-Lansing ATP3 Speakers
No comprehension to fail; I vacuum the wind for my sail
Can't be the rest; Let others waste my time?
Owning success is the bottom line

911medic is offline   Reply With Quote