Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > Console World

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-09-08, 02:20 PM   #25
|JuiceZ|

Send a message via Skype™ to |JuiceZ|
Default Re: I Plan on purchasing a PS3

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilchris
If you don't want any PS3 games, don't get a PS3 for the BD player. Pickup a Sharp BD-HP20 for around $349. It is a better BD player than the PS3. Of the current BD standalones, ie Pioneer 95, Panny BD30, Samsung 1400, Sharp HP20 etc.... the PS3 is the softest PQ wise. It had en edge in the beginning against the first standalones but is now in last place.
Thanks for the suggestion man, I'm new to all this stuff. I saw that player on Amazon but wasn't sure how good it is for the price. The only negative reported according to Amazon customer comments, is some possible CD playback issues. My main concern is good image quality though so its all good. It'll either be that one or a PS3. Think my wife wants to play some racing games on the PS3 so haven't decided which way to go yet. In all honesty, I could never see myself paying over $300 for a device that only plays movies but then again, I just paid much more than that for an HDTV and we really only watch movies so, hmmm...
hometheater KURO PDP-5020 | Marantz SR6005 | Definitive BP7001s, CLR3000, BPVXPs
|JuiceZ| is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-08, 02:29 PM   #26
Tygerwoody
mega ultra God Tit Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilchris
If you don't want any PS3 games, don't get a PS3 for the BD player. Pickup a Sharp BD-HP20 for around $349. It is a better BD player than the PS3. Of the current BD standalones, ie Pioneer 95, Panny BD30, Samsung 1400, Sharp HP20 etc.... the PS3 is the softest PQ wise. It had en edge in the beginning against the first standalones but is now in last place.
I'm still wondering why I am able to see BROADCAST HD channels at a higher quality than actual Blu-Ray on the PS3....

Example: I own the Blu-Ray set of Planet Earth. IMO, watching it on Discovery HD broadcast looks better. /shrug
Tygerwoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-08, 05:06 PM   #27
Epyx

I am a PC owner as you have already stated you are. I just recently purchased the PS3 80GB and here is my reasoning:

Most exclusive Xbox360 titles will eventually see a PC version. Or put in another way some games only found on the Xbox360 console have a PC version (Bioshock etc). I am sure Mass Effect will eventually see a PC release.

My reasoning for for a PS3 was as a games machine for titles i likely wouldn't see on the PC...Finaly Fantasy XIII etc, PS2/PS1 compatability. Plus I get a Blue Ray player (Blue Ray looking increasingly like the winner). Divx/Xvid was recently added and streaming them from my pc to the ps3 or via an external USB drive rocks. Assasins Creed although also on the Xbox looks great as does Ratchet and Clank and Uncharted.

The games will come (cant wait for FFXIII) even though I still am mostly a PC gamer (35 yrs old heh).

Every game I own for PS2 plays perfectly on the 80gb and the upscaling rocks...GoW 1/2, FFXII etc.

Personally if you are already an avid PC gamer I think going with the PS3 is a no brainer..Xbox titles will come or come out for both as Bioshock/Oblivion initially did.
8800GTX
Enermax 565P
20" 1680x1050 LG
42" 1920x1080 Westy
50" 1280x768 Sony
Epyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-08, 05:52 PM   #28
tornadog
Keeper of the Faith

I just wanted to post so there are 3 optys in a row...wow
Old 01-09-08, 06:05 PM   #29
Tuningmaster
*BANNED*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epyx
I am a PC owner as you have already stated you are. I just recently purchased the PS3 80GB and here is my reasoning:

Most exclusive Xbox360 titles will eventually see a PC version. Or put in another way some games only found on the Xbox360 console have a PC version (Bioshock etc). I am sure Mass Effect will eventually see a PC release.

My reasoning for for a PS3 was as a games machine for titles i likely wouldn't see on the PC...Finaly Fantasy XIII etc, PS2/PS1 compatability. Plus I get a Blue Ray player (Blue Ray looking increasingly like the winner). Divx/Xvid was recently added and streaming them from my pc to the ps3 or via an external USB drive rocks. Assasins Creed although also on the Xbox looks great as does Ratchet and Clank and Uncharted.

The games will come (cant wait for FFXIII) even though I still am mostly a PC gamer (35 yrs old heh).

Every game I own for PS2 plays perfectly on the 80gb and the upscaling rocks...GoW 1/2, FFXII etc.

Personally if you are already an avid PC gamer I think going with the PS3 is a no brainer..Xbox titles will come or come out for both as Bioshock/Oblivion initially did.
Thats pretty much my logic of thinking as well. I am getting a PS3 myself but not until more games come out for it and possibly another price drop.

Backwards compatibility is a must for me or I would go for the cheaper version. $499 is just a tough pill for me to swallow on making a console purchase.
Tuningmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-08, 06:11 PM   #30
St Lobus

Send a message via ICQ to St Lobus

I am also developing an interest in the PS3. I am getting absolutely fed up with Microsoft's response to their poor DRM issue on my replacement 360 after it's RRoD. 4.5 months and counting, still cannot access my downloaded Arcade games and other content unless connected to Live, and Live's been a real crap shoot lately. Support is an absolute joke, too.

For the PS3 owners out there, what have your online gameplay experiences been like? I realize that Live does have some benefits, but if you tell me that you're able to wear your headset/keep voice chat unmuted for your gaming sessions, instead of having to mute chat and not even use the headset because of Johnny 12-year-old who just learned a new swear word or racial slur, I might end up trading in my 360 for a PS3 tonight.

Attempt to prevent flaming: I have always like the 360, and enjoy most of the exclusive games. My experiences with their support department have been no less painful than stapling my scrotum to a chair and standing up slowly. Hence my desire for change.
Old 01-10-08, 11:16 AM   #31
msxyz
Hybrid Microprocessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by St Lobus
(...)4.5 months and counting, still cannot access my downloaded Arcade games and other content unless connected to Live, and Live's been a real crap shoot lately. Support is an absolute joke, too.
OT but it's not the first time I meet people who don't know how it works: downloads become tied to your console. If you change console you can still use the old files but you must be connected to Live. If you want to avoid this procedure, just re-download all the files again on the new machine It's free of charge as Live remembers your purchases and you can download the stuff you bought from the marketplace over and over again. It's just like Steam