Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > Console World

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-11-08, 10:57 AM   #73
Epyx

Default Re: I Plan on purchasing a PS3

Quote:
Some of these will get to the pc eventually,halo 3 and mass effect but it will take time.PGR3 & 4 and Forza 2 however will NEVER make it to pc ,i love them .
Good Point. I prefer simulation style racing games found on the PC just as I prefer the more tactic 1 shot 1 kill type games found on a PC like Rainbow Six/Graw (PC versions).

However, for someone like you, yes that would be a convincing argument as these types of games generally don't find their way on the pc and then it boils down to whether you prefer the PS3 arcade racers or the Xbox arcade racers.
8800GTX
Enermax 565P
20" 1680x1050 LG
42" 1920x1080 Westy
50" 1280x768 Sony
Epyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-08, 11:14 AM   #74
sammy sung

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epyx
Good Point. I prefer simulation style racing games found on the PC just as I prefer the more tactic 1 shot 1 kill type games found on a PC like Rainbow Six/Graw (PC versions).

However, for someone like you, yes that would be a convincing argument as these types of games generally don't find their way on the pc and then it boils down to whether you prefer the PS3 arcade racers or the Xbox arcade racers.
Forza 2 is more of a inbetween game,more sim-like than most console racers.I like the PC sims aswell but atm i dont have a desk that works with a wheel and thats a must for any pc racing sim.The console racers works with both wheel and the standard pad.
Old 01-11-08, 12:09 PM   #75
Tuningmaster
*BANNED*

Quote:
No im not nuts

Just not that impressed...of course my comments where somewhat exagerated...there are differences. But they are nowhere near "stunning". The WII graphically still looks every bit "last gen".

Yeah but you did say that Mario Galaxy looked like a gamecube game did you not? I have seen Mario Galaxy myself and of course while it may not be the best looking game out there compared to some others I do not agree that it could be pulled off on the Gamecube.
Tuningmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-08, 01:23 PM   #76
Epyx

Quote:
I have seen Mario Galaxy myself and of course while it may not be the best looking game out there compared to some others I do not agree that it could be pulled off on the Gamecube.
I also stated that I exagerated my initial wording a bit...but went on to say the difference isn't stellar...looking at a Xbox game versus the Xbox360 is night and day...same with PS2 vs PS3...i stand by that you don't get the same "Wow" when you see a Wii game versus gamecube...yes there is a difference but its not a "next gen" difference imho.

Don't get me wrong I still enjoy the Wii had a ton of fun with a buddy doing co-triage on patients in New Blood. Gaming is more than just graphics anyways its about gameplay and the Wii certainly has the gameplay department down...the looks...well thats another matter
8800GTX
Enermax 565P
20" 1680x1050 LG
42" 1920x1080 Westy
50" 1280x768 Sony
Old 01-11-08, 02:25 PM   #77
Tygerwoody
mega ultra God Tit Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tygerwoody
I'm still wondering why I am able to see BROADCAST HD channels at a higher quality than actual Blu-Ray on the PS3....

Example: I own the Blu-Ray set of Planet Earth. IMO, watching it on Discovery HD broadcast looks better. /shrug
anyone know the answer to this?
Tygerwoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-08, 02:26 PM   #78
evilchris

Quote:
Low standards of the studio, no other reason.
Old 01-11-08, 02:46 PM   #79
S.I.N
UnRegistered User

Quote:
I read it a bit back and I will try and find the article but it was said that the best source of HD is actually broadcasts from networks. Just watch a FOX sports football game. Nothing at all to really compromise the picture quality other than how you are getting the stations. And I tend to agree.
S.I.N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-08, 02:46 PM   #80
Tygerwoody
mega ultra God Tit Lord

Blu-Ray should look tons better than broadcast... When in reality it doesn't at all. Maybe its because I am not viewing Blu-Ray in TRU Full 1080peee. :P
Tygerwoody is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-11-08, 02:50 PM   #81
S.I.N
UnRegistered User

Quote:
Blu-Ray should look tons better than broadcast... When in reality it doesn't at all. Maybe its because I am not viewing Blu-Ray in TRU Full 1080peee. :P
What makes you think it should it look tons better?
S.I.N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-08, 03:46 PM   #82
Epyx

Don't forget if you are viewing HD channels like Discovery most of their HD content does not originate from film...you are getting pure digital transfers from digital projectors.

Likewise sports events are live broadcasts with no transfer required.

A lot of Blue Ray movies are still dependant on their film transfer source...garbage in garbage out in many cases...if the film source was well preserved it will fantastic. Ghost Rider on Blue Ray for example looks great but some older titles whose source material has experience some degradation does not.
8800GTX
Enermax 565P
20" 1680x1050 LG
42" 1920x1080 Westy
50" 1280x768 Sony
Old 01-11-08, 03:59 PM   #83
de><ta
prodigy

///m-powered | Intel i7 920 | EVGA x58 | 6GB DD3 1600 | EVGA GTX 285 SSC | 150GB VelociRaptor

Drag racing is for fast cars. Autocrossing is for fast drivers.
de><ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-08, 05:15 PM   #84
Xion X2

Quote:
I also stated that I exagerated my initial wording a bit...but went on to say the difference isn't stellar...looking at a Xbox game versus the Xbox360 is night and day...same with PS2 vs PS3...i stand by that you don't get the same "Wow" when you see a Wii game versus gamecube...yes there is a difference but its not a "next gen" difference imho.

Don't get me wrong I still enjoy the Wii had a ton of fun with a buddy doing co-triage on patients in New Blood. Gaming is more than just graphics anyways its about gameplay and the Wii certainly has the gameplay department down...the looks...well thats another matter
The reason you're not seeing as much of a jump between the GameCube-->Wii may be due to the fact that the Cube was the strongest console of last-gen.

But the Wii still has its own look which is a definite jump from last-gen. Overall, Mario and Metroid both look excellent. There are certain places on both Mario and Metroid that rival anything I've ever seen. Nights is also a good looking game. Most of the games I've played for Wii certainly look very comparable to a 360 or PS3 game, and some better due to the fact I haven't seen as bad a filtering problem on the console as I've seen in many 360 titles where the foreground blurs out inches ahead of you.

There are some maps on Mario which look absolutely stellar.. especially the Melty Molton Galaxy where you have lava bombs and molten lava all over the place and there are spectral effects coming off the rocks. The lighting effects coming off the ice, water, and rocks are some of the best I've seen; that game is extremely colorful in some places. Some levels are nothing special, but others look excellent.

Wii is definitely the weaker console out of the 3 when it comes to graphics, but it's not to the point where it doesn't compare to the other two. It compares just fine. There is an aliasing problem that will begin to show on high-def TVs because of the downscaling that occurs, but other than that it looks great.

There is more to graphics than the GPU; if a programmer/developer doesn't give a damn about the art style, then a game will still look like crap.. even on an 8800 Ultra Tri-SLI system.

i7-2700k @ 5.0 GHz
Nvidia GeForce 570 2.5GB Tri-SLI
Asus P67 WS Revolution (Tri-SLI)
OCZ Vertex SSD x 4 (Raid 5)
G.Skill 8GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz
PC Power & Cooling 950W PSU
Xion X2 is offline   Reply With Quote