Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-06-08, 05:48 PM   #1
ari.reads

Default 8600GT gets "dark" after activating / deactivating a second monitor

Something quite odd is happening with my new 8600GT / 512MB (ASUS)

In my xorg.conf, I have this option line:

Option "MetaModes" "DFP-0: 1280x1024, TV-0: 1024x768; DFP-0: 1280x1024, TV-0: NULL"

which allows me to turn on or off the TV just setting the resolution using xrandr.

The thing is, when switch on or off the second display (TV), the images (movies) looks too dark, like having a very low gamma. Oddly, I can correct this by launching nvidia-settings, and clicking "Reset Harware to Defaults" in "X Server XVideo Settings". I never changed those defaults, so clicking the button doesn't move the sliders, but it does fix the "darkness" problem.

I'm using 100.14.19 under Ubuntu. No, I can't use 169.07 because it has the "Showing the gnome login screen in TV-out instead of the flat panel" problem introduced in 169.04.

It's a pity to see all this software quality issues in nvidia. Hopefully they are doing something to improve this.

BTW, the same setup worked with no problem in a cheap 6200.

Output of xrandr:
$ xrandr
Screen 0: minimum 1280 x 1024, current 1280 x 1024, maximum 1280 x 1792
default connected 1280x1024+0+0 0mm x 0mm
1280x1792 50.0
1280x1024 51.0*
ari.reads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-08, 07:55 PM   #2
AaronP
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: 8600GT gets "dark" after activating / deactivating a second monitor

Please see the forum sticky posts. Also, you can control which screen is Xinerama screen 0 (which controls where Gnome places its login box) with the TwinViewXineramaInfoOrder and/or UseDisplayDevice X config file options. See the README for more detail.

The GeForce 6200 doesn't support color controls in the Xv texture adaptor. It's likely that your video player is loading the incorrect values when it starts playing a movie. Is the movie too dark every time you start playing one, or does pressing the "Reset Hardware Defaults" button fix it for subsequent movies as well?
AaronP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-08, 08:49 PM   #3
ari.reads

Default Re: 8600GT gets "dark" after activating / deactivating a second monitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronP
Please see the forum sticky posts. Also, you can control which screen is Xinerama screen 0 (which controls where Gnome places its login box) with the TwinViewXineramaInfoOrder and/or UseDisplayDevice X config file options. See the README for more detail.

The GeForce 6200 doesn't support color controls in the Xv texture adaptor. It's likely that your video player is loading the incorrect values when it starts playing a movie. Is the movie too dark every time you start playing one, or does pressing the "Reset Hardware Defaults" button fix it for subsequent movies as well?
Yes I was aware infoorder, it is there in my xorg:

Option "TwinViewXineramaInfoOrder" "DFP-0, TV-0"

and it doesn't help (with 169.xx) There is another thread on this, and other people are reporting the same problem. http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=103790

On the darkness thing, you are right , for some reason totem's settings were screwed, sorry about the rant.

I got upset because of the 169.xx issues, and the oversized tv-out, which the driver can fix in windows but not in linux.

thanks
ari.reads is offline   Reply With Quote