Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-07-08, 09:16 AM   #1
jgorkos

Default Need nvidia driver to support multiple xorg.conf files

I have a set of machines, all with nvidia cards, all with slightly different hardware (GeForce 5200 v 6200, different models of monitors, etc). They all boot off a single NFS root share via TFTP. According to the xorg.conf man page, X starts looking for configuration files in the following order:
/etc/X11/<cmdline>
/usr/etc/X11/<cmdline>
/etc/X11/$XORGCONFIG
/usr/etc/X11/$XORGCONFIG
/etc/X11/xorg.conf-4
/etc/X11/xorg.conf
/etc/xorg.conf
/usr/etc/X11/xorg.conf.<hostname>
/usr/etc/X11/xorg.conf-4
/usr/etc/X11/xorg.conf
/usr/lib/X11/xorg.conf.<hostname>
/usr/lib/X11/xorg.conf-4
/usr/lib/X11/xorg.conf

Since each machine knows its own hostname, I want to use /usr/etc/X11/xorg.conf.<hostname> to have a custom X config for each machine. Unfortunately, the nVidia driver seems to ONLY look in /etc/X11/xorg.conf, and the kernel module refuses to load unless it sees the "nvidia" driver option in that file. If I create an xorg.conf to make the nvidia kernel module happy, then X uses it instead of the localize version, and every machine on the network tries to use the same xorg.conf, with graphics chaos the result.

The question is: is there a way to disable the kernel module's check of xorg.conf to allow it to load, or is there a way I can convince nVidia to follow the xorg.conf spec and have their driver check all the "right" places for a valid config file, or is there some symlink treachery that someone can recommend I try to fake the driver into using the right file?

Thanks!
John
jgorkos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-08, 09:41 AM   #2
lloeki
Arch Linux

Default Re: Need nvidia driver to support multiple xorg.conf files

things of interest:
- 'man Xorg' gives a -config filename option and a CONFIGURATION section.
- 'man xorg.conf' gives interesting details about <cmdline> and $XORGCONFIG stuff when it looks for a config file.

based on this you could have:
- a shell script with a 'case `hostname` in ... esac' or something.
- have a bunch of shell scripts named after the hostnames so that looked up config match
- have a single shell script with many symlinks giving behavior of previous point with only one file
- set $XORGCONFIG to `xorg.hostname`.conf

so, be creative...

I just tested stopping gdm, sudo rmmod nvidia, moving away my xorg.conf file, copying it to home (restriction of -config) with a weird name, sudo modprobe nvidia, startx -- -config weirdname, and it works.
lloeki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-08, 10:44 AM   #3
AaronP
NVIDIA Corporation

jgorkos,
Neither the X driver nor the NVIDIA kernel module know anything about the X config file. I suspect you're using Ubuntu or possibly some other Debian-based distro and are falling victim to some of the shell scripts that their driver packages install. I would recommend asking for help in your distribution's support channels.

You can tell the server to load a different config file with the -config option. Using that or the $XORGCONFIG environment variable sound like your best bet.
AaronP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-08, 12:08 PM   #4
Tub

It's probably some 'magic' your distribution is doing to detect the needed kernel modules. There's probably some configuration file to override that setting or startup-script to manually call modprobe. That way you could avoid setting up a dummy xorg.conf-file with the Driver "nvidia" line.

Again, it's distribution specific, so I cannot provide details.
Tub is offline   Reply With Quote