Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Home Theater A/V

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-11-08, 01:43 PM   #25
evilchris

Default Re: Party's over folks... Universal is not renewing HD-DVD contract

Gaco, a PS3 fanboy shouldn't call someone else a fanboy, seeing as how PS3 fanboys are the worst type imaginable.

What HD DVD player do you have? If you don't have one, you're nothing but a BD fanboy. I've had both since inception.

Also:

Quote:
They will never be more than ONE SINGLE VERSION of a movie in regard to the profile spec.,
You're dreaming if you don't think there will be double dips of current BD's once 2.0 comes out. You don't think Warner will re-release 300 with the HD DVD features for 2.0? Keep telling yourself that.
Old 01-11-08, 02:05 PM   #26
Gaco
L4D & DoW2 ftw!

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilchris
Gaco, a PS3 fanboy shouldn't call someone else a fanboy, seeing as how PS3 fanboys are the worst type imaginable.

What HD DVD player do you have? If you don't have one, you're nothing but a BD fanboy. I've had both since inception.

Also:

You're dreaming if you don't think there will be double dips of current BD's once 2.0 comes out. You don't think Warner will re-release 300 with the HD DVD features for 2.0? Keep telling yourself that.
HD DVD and Blu-ray are basically identical as technologies; they both offer the same stunning visuals and audio, interactive features and more capacity. The differences are really in the details IMO. Going back to SD DVD or resorting to piracy in spite of loving HDM just because HD DVD, the format some people bet on, didn't come out on top in the format war is fanboynism. What you own proves nothing. If you feel bias-free and totally rational just because of the fact that you had the funds of buying into both formats, congratulations.
I have a PC which I prefer for gaming but I also have a Nintendo Wii, Xbox360 and Playstation 3. I primarily bought the PS3 as a Blu-ray player though I could have easily gone with the much cheaper Xbox360 HD DVD drive + 5 free movies. I chose Blu-ray back in December because I thought it had all nearly the advantages but most importantly the greatest chance of winning the format war. This makes me a fanboy? I think not... if HD DVD would've won, I would of course be somehow frustrated and annoyed, but without thinking twice switched over to HD DVD instead, not limiting myself to SD DVD or piracy because I bet for the wrong horse.

What I meant is that no 2.0 movie will be released with an accompanying 1.1 version on the market. And I think we will see very few, if any, double dips just to add a minor 2.0 functionality into a movie, but that's just my prediction.
CPU: Intel Core2 Q6600@3.3ghz w. Noctua NH-U12P
RAM: 4Gb Crucial Tracer PC-8500
Graphics: XFX Radeon HD 5970 Black Edition
Harddiscs: 2xRaptorX 150gb 10.000 RPM in RAID0
Soundcard: X-Fi Xtreme Gamer
Sound: Sennheiser HD600 Headphones + headamp
Keyboard: Logitech DiNovo Edge
Mouse: Razor Orochi
Monitor: Samsung 2232BW (22" 1680*1050)
Gaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-08, 03:17 PM   #27
six_storm

Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm

All I gotta say is that just like the console vs. PC debates, it all comes down to the games. In this situation it all comes down to the movie titles. People who buy into HDM will buy the format that is either cheaper or has more movies that they would buy/rent.

I bought the HD-DVD X360 drive in Dec. 2006 and kept it for 4 months, only to find that many titles that I wanted in HD were BR only. Heck, here I spent $200 on the drive and about $90 on 3 HD-DVD titles, go to Best Buy and see all the movies I really want are on Blu-Ray. It sat around and since the format wars were still raging on, I decided to sell it until a winner was declared.

I'm almost afraid to buy into HDM again, but I wanna complete my HTPC with either a Blu-Ray only drive or a hybrid combo drive.

Look familiar anyone?

six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-08, 03:28 PM   #28
Lyme

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENU291
This just in, Variety is full of **** http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post...-imminent.html

(yes, I know that is engadget, but they use variety as their reference)
Lyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-08, 03:31 PM   #29
S.I.N
UnRegistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by six_storm
All I gotta say is that just like the console vs. PC debates, it all comes down to the games. In this situation it all comes down to the movie titles. People who buy into HDM will buy the format that is either cheaper or has more movies that they would buy/rent.

I bought the HD-DVD X360 drive in Dec. 2006 and kept it for 4 months, only to find that many titles that I wanted in HD were BR only. Heck, here I spent $200 on the drive and about $90 on 3 HD-DVD titles, go to Best Buy and see all the movies I really want are on Blu-Ray. It sat around and since the format wars were still raging on, I decided to sell it until a winner was declared.

I'm almost afraid to buy into HDM again, but I wanna complete my HTPC with either a Blu-Ray only drive or a hybrid combo drive.

Look familiar anyone?

Do you ever see yourself getting a PS3 for games like MGS4, Resistance 2 or anything else? If so why is it so difficult to take the plunge if most of the movies you want to get are on blu-ray? You can still go the stand alone route if you buy into the hype that its substandard.
S.I.N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-08, 03:38 PM   #30
Peoples-Agent
Vape Therapist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaco
HD DVD and Blu-ray are basically identical as technologies; they both offer the same stunning visuals and audio, interactive features and more capacity. The differences are really in the details IMO. Going back to SD DVD or resorting to piracy in spite of loving HDM just because HD DVD, the format some people bet on, didn't come out on top in the format war is fanboynism. What you own proves nothing. If you feel bias-free and totally rational just because of the fact that you had the funds of buying into both formats, congratulations.
I have a PC which I prefer for gaming but I also have a Nintendo Wii, Xbox360 and Playstation 3. I primarily bought the PS3 as a Blu-ray player though I could have easily gone with the much cheaper Xbox360 HD DVD drive + 5 free movies. I chose Blu-ray back in December because I thought it had all nearly the advantages but most importantly the greatest chance of winning the format war. This makes me a fanboy? I think not... if HD DVD would've won, I would of course be somehow frustrated and annoyed, but without thinking twice switched over to HD DVD instead, not limiting myself to SD DVD or piracy because I bet for the wrong horse.

What I meant is that no 2.0 movie will be released with an accompanying 1.1 version on the market. And I think we will see very few, if any, double dips just to add a minor 2.0 functionality into a movie, but that's just my prediction.
I resent the fact Blu-Ray is inferior to HD-DVD, yet the players cost more. I also hate the fact THERE ISN'T A SINGLE COST EFFECTIVE SOLUTION to be able to run 2.0 profile discs except the PS3, when I would prefer a standalone solution.

Every single multi format release to date has been better on HD-DVD from what I have seen, and it would be great for someone to prove otherwise.

And why on earth would I buy a crappy 1.0 or 1.1 version of a movie when I could pick up a HD-DVD version with all the extra goodies already in?

Blu-Ray has won, great... now show me why it's the better format.

Can you provide me with some valid information as to why it's the better format?

I will have to wait for a 2.0 player aswell as 2.0 versions of movies just to get the functionality that HD-DVD offers.

How is common sense making me a fanboy here?

If Blu-Ray offered the same value and features as the HD-DVD counterparts I would be thrilled by it, and have no quarms on jumping in..... but where the hell do I go to do just that?

Are you saying I have to wait for 2.0 profile discs and for 2.0 players before it's worthwhile? .... crazy, so much for the new HDM era.
Flesh of her flesh they were, spirit of her spirit,
Fallen in the cause of the free.
Peoples-Agent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-08, 03:43 PM   #31
Peoples-Agent
Vape Therapist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaco
HD DVD and Blu-ray are basically identical as technologies; they both offer the same stunning visuals and audio, interactive features and more capacity.
.... same interactive features?

Let's put this into perspective. Compare 300 in both formats and then tell me they have the same interactive features. LoL

Not a chance, and this is what I have a problem with.

Paying the same prices for releases guaranteed to have less content is crap.

BD 2.0 should be finalised and every single movie re-released the way they should have been from the start, then i'll be happy.
Flesh of her flesh they were, spirit of her spirit,
Fallen in the cause of the free.
Peoples-Agent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-08, 04:06 PM   #32
six_storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.N
Do you ever see yourself getting a PS3 for games like MGS4, Resistance 2 or anything else? If so why is it so difficult to take the plunge if most of the movies you want to get are on blu-ray? You can still go the stand alone route if you buy into the hype that its substandard.
There aren't any games that I really want that are exclusive for the PS3. If any game has me a little excited, it's LittleBigPlanet, that game just looks cool. I've been doing a little research and the PS3 is the best way to go, since there are different firmware versions and all that jazz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peoples-Agent
Blu-Ray has won, great... now show me why it's the better format.
I think the only reason it's won is because of advertising and exclusive movie titles.

Old 01-11-08, 08:15 PM   #33
Zapablast05
ZapaFAILmaster of Merwang

Send a message via AIM to Zapablast05

So this means no more HD DVD's right?

(I only read the OP, nothing else.)

Xbox Live: Zapablast05 click!|3DMark06: 17,001|
PSN: Zapablast05
Originally Posted by crainger: "Come meet my son Zapablast05"
Originally Posted by crainger: A truck wont get the pussy zapa has become accustomed to.
Originally Posted by CaptNKILL: In fact, I measure years in BC and AC (before Camp0rz and after Camp0rz).
I don't want to get you drunk, but, ah, that's a very fine Chardonnay you're not drinking.
Zapablast05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-08, 08:54 PM   #34
NaitoSan
Student @ DigiPen

WB HD-DVD has 3 weeks waiting period after Blu-ray releases. Until May 2008, HD-DVD are no longer supported by WB.

Universal and Paramount simply said we plan to support HD-DVD but never said anything about sticking with HD-DVD only.

Best bet is to buy PS3 (best deal if you play games too until you have enough money to invest better overall Blu-ray player with profile 2.0+).

Desktop: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.6GHz | ASUS P5K Deluxe/WiFi-AP | 4GB G.Skill F2-6400PHU1 @ 800MHz 4-4-3-5 | EVGA GeForce 8800 GTX 768MB | Western Digital Raptor X 150GB | Samsung 32" HDTV | Windows 7 Professional x64

Note: English is my second language so please bear with my grammar!
NaitoSan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-08, 09:41 PM   #35
ViN86

we will see how the new GT and Metal Gear games are. then i may be getting a PS3. especially if HD-DVD is truly finished. those are the only games im interested in though.

i still like my 360 for gaming.
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-08, 09:46 PM   #36
six_storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViN86
we will see how the new GT and Metal Gear games are. then i may be getting a PS3. especially if HD-DVD is truly finished. those are the only games im interested in though.

i still like my 360 for gaming.
Blu-Ray would be the only reason for me to get a PS3, the 360 has all the games I want.