Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Home Theater A/V

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-11-08, 02:19 PM   #13
Gaco
L4D & DoW2 ftw!

Default Re: Returned HD-DVD player. What should I buy? PS3?

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilchris
The PS3 is not futureproof because the HDMI chip it uses is completely unable to bitstream anything. If new codecs are added, you cannot just pray that Sony decides to make an onboard SOFTWARE decoder for it, like you are praying for with DTS-MA.

I currently run a Panasonic BD-30, and it allows me 100% access to *all* sound formats BD has. Your PS3 does not. I do not want to listen to DTS core when MA is available. It also does not take "several minutes" to load a movie. It is a 1.1 player that is superior to PS3 in both picture and sound. Facts.
You are then one of the few people I have seen that claims to own both a PS3 and SA Blu-ray player and also claims that there is any noticable difference in video quality. It's not that I don't believe you by default, it's just that you're in minority to the about 10 individual statements I have heard from other people on a hifi board.

As to the exact details on PS3's audio capabilities I'll let that topic be for someone with more knowledge than me. If you have a really beefy audio setup I guess you could argue that a SA BD player would be better right in this moment, but I have read posts of people claiming to get uncompressed audio out of their PS3's somehow, I think they were using it in conjunction with a receiver though I'm not sure. We may have an firmware update in the future, who knows. We didn't have DVD upscaling or 24fps playback from the beginning either, though I wouldn't bet on it. But I'd still say that the audio decoding capabilities of the PS3 has more to do with your needs (but in a sense you can say it's futureproof if you intent to buy some badass audio equitment some day, but we still don't know the true potential of PS3 until later) while the garanteed profile 2.0 support makes it literally more futureproof.

I also haven't heard of any SA BD player that doesn't take something around several minutes from when you put in the disc to the film is actually playing, but yours may be one of the faster? Still everyone is saying that the PS3 loads movies significantly faster than anything else out there.

I would get a PS3 or in the event of this OP having some very serious hifi equipment at home, wait for the first highend 2.0 players to score good reviews across the board, but that's just me
CPU: Intel Core2 Q6600@3.3ghz w. Noctua NH-U12P
RAM: 4Gb Crucial Tracer PC-8500
Graphics: XFX Radeon HD 5970 Black Edition
Harddiscs: 2xRaptorX 150gb 10.000 RPM in RAID0
Soundcard: X-Fi Xtreme Gamer
Sound: Sennheiser HD600 Headphones + headamp
Keyboard: Logitech DiNovo Edge
Mouse: Razor Orochi
Monitor: Samsung 2232BW (22" 1680*1050)
Gaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-08, 02:22 PM   #14
evilchris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaco
You are then one of the few people I have seen that claims to own both a PS3 and SA Blu-ray player and also claims that there is any noticable difference in video quality. It's not that I don't believe you by default, it's just that you're in minority to the about 10 individual statements I have heard from other people on a hifi board.

As to the exact details on PS3's audio capabilities I'll let that topic be for someone with more knowledge than me. If you have a really beefy audio setup I guess you could argue that a SA BD player would be better right in this moment, but I have read posts of people claiming to get uncompressed audio out of their PS3's somehow, I think they were using it in conjunction with a receiver though I'm not sure.
I had a 40GB PS3 for 3 days. Returned to Fry's due to unacceptable fan noise and soft picture compared to my SAL at the time, a BD-10AK.

PS3 can do uncompressed and THD over LPCM to any HDMI 1.1 and up receiver. It cannot bitstream any advanced codecs, however. This is a hardware issue. The untapped power of tEH cELL can not get over the HDMI transmitter limitation of the PS3. DTS-HD MA is dead in the water, the only hope is software decoding in the future and sending via LPCM already decoded.
Old 01-11-08, 02:27 PM   #15
Gaco
L4D & DoW2 ftw!

Quote:
I had a 40GB PS3 for 3 days. Returned to Fry's due to unacceptable fan noise and soft picture compared to my SAL at the time, a BD-10AK.

PS3 can do uncompressed and THD over LPCM to any HDMI 1.1 and up receiver. It cannot bitstream any advanced codecs, however. This is a hardware issue. The untapped power of tEH cELL can not get over the HDMI transmitter limitation of the PS3. DTS-HD MA is dead in the water, the only hope is software decoding in the future and sending via LPCM already decoded.
Fair enough. I don't really get the complaint on the fan noise however, PS3's are really quiet in action (more quiet than our HDD recorder just besides it) and certainly the 40gb version should be the most silent of all PS3 models. Was it that bad, was it just a defective unit or do you just have an extremely low tolerance for noise?
Old 01-11-08, 02:36 PM   #16
evilchris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaco
Fair enough. I don't really get the complaint on the fan noise however, PS3's are really quiet in action (more quiet than our HDD recorder just besides it) and certainly the 40gb version should be the most silent of all PS3 models. Was it that bad, was it just a defective unit or do you just have an extremely low tolerance for noise?
I don't keep my equipment under the screen or beside it, that is a visual distraction. My rack is behind my seating. During a movie, the PS3 would reach fan speed 2. This was audible in non action movies.

I actually power down my DVR when watching movies so I don't have to hear that damn HDD.
Old 01-11-08, 03:10 PM   #17
Gaco
L4D & DoW2 ftw!

Quote:
I don't keep my equipment under the screen or beside it, that is a visual distraction. My rack is behind my seating. During a movie, the PS3 would reach fan speed 2. This was audible in non action movies.

I actually power down my DVR when watching movies so I don't have to hear that damn HDD.
Ok.. well each to his own I guess. You must really have a nice setup with all those strict standards of yours

As mentioned unless this guy is completely and utterly oblivious to gaming, I'd go with the PS3 simply because you get a gaming console of the future for the same price. Then if you decide to go total gung-ho on hifi you can always buy a highend bluray player and use the PS3 as secondary. That's just in my opinion
Old 01-11-08, 03:55 PM   #18
MowTin

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.N
PS3 especially if you don't have the equipment to take advantage of standalone players. Not saying you might not but some have a Kia TV's and 10watt speakers yet seem to be torn as to if they should get the best or near the best. Its a great player for the price along with the other features which the PS3 has.

I have a 4 year old 5.1 Receiver. No HDMI, only optical and digital audio. DTS decoder. So, I think a PS3 will help because it can decode those fancy new format.

My wife is like, "A PS3?! You already have a 360 why do you need a PS3?!"

It's hard to get the wives to believe that the PS3 is mainly for Blu-ray playing.
MowTin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-08, 04:03 PM   #19
mullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by MowTin
ROFL
Old 01-11-08, 04:08 PM   #20
evilchris

Quote:
I have a 4 year old 5.1 Receiver. No HDMI, only optical and digital audio. DTS decoder. So, I think a PS3 will help because it can decode those fancy new format.

It's hard to get the wives to believe that the PS3 is mainly for Blu-ray playing.
The PS3 will do you no good then. Does your receiver have 5.1 analog inputs? If so, try a Sharp BD-HP20. Good price, and you can get Uncompressed 5.1 as well as Dolby TrueHD over its 5.1 analog outputs. If you don't have HDMI the PS3 can only deliver you DD 5.1 and DTS over optical. It decodes TrueHD but can only send it as LPCM over HDMI. Same with Uncompressed.

Old 01-11-08, 04:08 PM   #21
six_storm

Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullet
ROFL
Yeah, I can hear my fiancee saying that . . .
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-08, 08:00 PM   #22
MowTin

Quote:
If you don't have HDMI the PS3 can only deliver you DD 5.1 and DTS over optical. It decodes TrueHD but can only send it as LPCM over HDMI. Same with Uncompressed.
I have a samsung 46" 65F LCD TV. I have HDMI to the TV and toslink out from the TV. I figure the PS3 will send at least 5.1 to the TV and I'll get it from the optical out into my receiver. Is that right?

I'm happy with 5.1 DTS. I can't imagine anything sounding much better to my rather unsophisticated ears.

I'm almost ready to pull the trigger on the PS3. I sure miss my HD-DVD but at least the war ended before my Best Buy return window closed. I only own Happy Feet. The detail on thos sea lions was awesome.

I think a lot of people are in my situation. HDTV is great but the cable stuff is a little weak. Only a high def player really shows off the clarity of HD.
MowTin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-08, 08:47 PM   #23
evilchris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter Bandit
You won't be disappointed with the PS3. It works well, and hey, it also plays games.

For the price, the PS3 as a Blu-Ray player can't be beat.
As a Blu-ray player, it is beat by several cheaper standalones in PQ and AQ.
Old 01-15-08, 01:39 PM   #24
Xav
Professional NV Lurker

Quote:

I got lucky in that....the PS3 is my wife's console!

The 360 is mine

System II: C2D E8400 || Gigabyte GA-EP35 || 2GB Gskill DDR2 1066 || XFX GTX 260 Black Edition || Audigy 2 || Corsair TX650 || Klipsch PM 2.1 || Gateway 2185W LCD

Consoles: 360/PS3
Xav is offline   Reply With Quote