Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > Console World

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-11-08, 05:46 AM   #1
PeterJensen

Default PS3 MegaBox Homebrew Project !!! WHOOOT !!!

http://www.ps3hax.net/showthread.php?t=2339

Quote:
PS3Hax member Lichemaster, reported in his thread of a new PS3 homebrew project called MegaBox. MegaBox is similar to a media center, similar to the XBMC on Xbox 1, fully functioning on the PS3.

The MegaBox has many cool features that any PS3 owner would find interest in such as VoIP, P2P, TV, Movies (Including MKV), and much more! The full list is below.

The best part is the program will require NO INSTALLATION, and would be OPEN SOURCE (based on FREEVO). In layman's terms, all you need to do is pop in a CD/Flash drive with the program and anyone can enjoy it without too much problems (no need for linux either).

Full Features of MegaBox:

Originally Posted by MegaBox Features
Video:
1-Reproduction in the premises of almost all the formats of video, including the MKV.
2-Reproduction in Streaming (from Internet or the local network) reproduces just like in the point 1 that if, the MKV would cost to him more but, depending on the bandwidth of Internet, since in local network we have all 100MB.
to 3-Encoder and to decoder of DivX, DVD, TDT and others.
4-Recording to CD's/DVD's etc. (Necessary external recorder USB)
5-Possibility of using compatible digital cameras with Linux.

Audio:
1-Reproduction of all the habitual formats. (Local and streaming.)
2-Encoder and decoder of CD's and other formats.
3-Recording of CD's/DVD's etc… (Necessary external recorder USB.)
4-Possibility of using compatible reproducers MP3/MP4 with Linux

TV/Radio: (compatible with multiple models and marks of devices USB TV)
1-Reproduction of TDT, TDS, TDC and IMAGENIO. (Necessary USB capture device.) “one in pack MegaBOX PS3 will be included”
2-Radio and TV in streaming by Internet.
3-Recording of programs of TV “to the hard disk of the PS3, external Hard disk or to record it to CD/DVD “with possibility of programming the hour and date of recording.

Software:
1-FireFOX. (Formed with all plug-ins for its perfect operation.)
2-System P2P.
3-System VoIP and instantaneous mail.
4-Emulation of games of almost all the platforms. (Reading of ROM's from any unit, even from local NETWORK.)
5-Game for LINUX in 3D (to still not contrasted.)
6-Possibility of launching PS3 games directly from MegaBOX.
(In the future possibly ISO loader)
“Software requests are accepted”

Appearance:
1-Skins Manager so that you modify to your taste the appearance of MegaBOX in your PS3 (Necessary knowledge of XM)

Components needed:
1-Playstation 3 sixaxis (PS3)
2-Any compatible PS3 device

Screen Resolution:
1-1280x720 (720P)

NOT NEED TO INSTALL, is based on FREEVO and the source is gonna be released. You dont need to install linux, IE: you can run a live cd or put it on a mem card and run the media center from there. so everyone can use it without to much problems.

**UPDATE**

We have a small tutorial and the beta file if you are interested in trying this. Please note that it is very buggy at the moment and this is a BETA version.

Easy Instructions by StreetSkaterFU:
ISO Download (OS): http://www.rapidshare.com/files/82297965/k3b_0.rar.html
Petitboot Loader Download: http://ozlabs.org/%7Ejk/projects/petitboot/
(PS3Hax mirror will be up soon for all those RS haters )

Installation (easy way):
--------------------------
1. Install the Petitboot Loader
2. Burn the ISO (from the dl link) as image on a cd
3. Start petitboot loader (Download this loader here)
4. Put in the cd
5. Choose CD icon with petitboot
6. Start the second icon
7. TADAAA... works

So ****ing NICE!
Old 01-11-08, 06:06 AM   #2
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger
Default Re: PS3 MegaBox Homebrew Project !!! WHOOOT !!!

OMG Download client now!!!!!1111!

EDIT: Doesn't work through HDMI. ::
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-08, 06:08 AM   #3
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

let me know crainger, maybe this will make PS3 usable finally.
Old 01-11-08, 07:18 AM   #4
|MaguS|

How do they load an executable? Is it firmware dependant? Like can a firmware update break it? Why only a single resolution support?

I can also see Sony not liking this because it will hurt their own plans for IPTV and DVR Capabilities in the future, let alone movie/show downloads from their network when released.

Some of the capabilities seem alittle far fetched also, I mean 3D Linux gaming? I don't even think the linux community has been able to pull that off due to the lack of GPU drivers for the PS3 in linux.

EDIT: Bah you still need to install a loader on the PS3, which means formating it... no thanks...

Reading through the thread on PS3hax it looks like this does absolutly nothing... they made a menu but it can't even play mp3s.

Don't really see the point behind this, everything they mention is possible within linux on the PS3 and since you need to format the system to install the loader why not just install linux while your at it... or also load it from a thumb drive...
Old 01-11-08, 08:55 AM   #5
Ninjaman09
Takin 'er easy

I still don't get why they use the Spider-Man font.
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
Dell U2410
Ninjaman09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-08, 09:20 AM   #6
LordJuanlo
Widescreen rules

Holy sh*t, Microsoft should learn from this and let the community play with the 360. Kudos to Sony for allowing this thing.
ATI 5870 (Graphics) + GeForce 9600GT (PhysX) on Samsung SM244T 1920x1200
LG GGW-H20L BluRay & HD-DVD / Logitech Z-5500 5.1 DTS / Westone 3 Earphones
Asus Xonar D2 / 360 Elite Wireless Controller / Gigabyte Odin GT 800W
Windows 7 x64
(also a 360 and a PSP )
LordJuanlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-08, 09:35 AM   #7
|MaguS|

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordJuanlo
Holy sh*t, Microsoft should learn from this and let the community play with the 360. Kudos to Sony for allowing this thing.
This is nothing more then a streamlined linux release (removing the desktop and making a menu insted), there is nothing special about this at all. It technically has been possible since the consoles release with just installing linux on the console.

That is why it requires the bootloader, to be installed...
Old 01-11-08, 09:47 AM   #8
PeterJensen

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS|
This is nothing more then a streamlined linux release (removing the desktop and making a menu insted), there is nothing special about this at all. It technically has been possible since the consoles release with just installing linux on the console.

That is why it requires the bootloader, to be installed...
Give it time m8

Old 01-11-08, 11:13 AM   #9
Buenamos

The progress is lookin great! Can't wait till they get all the bugs out so I can start using the PS3 more. Not to mention our media center isn't quite quick enough for HD mkv files so this will be a real treat instead of using my laptop to output the 1080p content to our TV. Keep the updates comin!!!!
Gaming PC: KOOLANCE PC3-410BK / SILVERSTONE ST70F 700W Modular / Q6600 G0 @ 3.2 / Swiftech Apogee GT Block /Asus P5Q Pro / 2x2gb 1066 G-Skill / EVGA GTX570 / 2 x Asus VH242 1080p monitors / Audigy Xi-Fi Platinum / Seagate 160gb HDD / Seagate 500gb HDD

Laptop: Inspiron 1520 15.4" LCD/ Intel Core 2 Duo 7300 (2ghz) / 2 gb RAM / 8600m GT / 80gb HDD / N Wireless / Blue Tooth

Media Center: AMD 4400+ / 2 gb OCZ Platinum / EVGA 9800gt / Audigty 2ZS / 42" LG 1080p 120hz / 3 x 1.5tb HDDs

Xbox 360 / Wii
Buenamos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-08, 11:49 AM   #10
|MaguS|

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buenamos
The progress is lookin great! Can't wait till they get all the bugs out so I can start using the PS3 more. Not to mention our media center isn't quite quick enough for HD mkv files so this will be a real treat instead of using my laptop to output the 1080p content to our TV. Keep the updates comin!!!!
Why wait for this distro? Just install linux on your PS3 and your good to go... no need to wait for this to be ready.
Old 01-11-08, 12:41 PM   #11
Buenamos

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS|
Why wait for this distro? Just install linux on your PS3 and your good to go... no need to wait for this to be ready.
I was actually planning on doing that not too long ago but I've been home for x-mas break for almost 3 weeks now and I'm heading back to Phoenix tomorrow so maybe I'll look into it. This is pretty much plug and play with a real simple interface rather than having another desktop interface which is what intrigues me.
Gaming PC: KOOLANCE PC3-410BK / SILVERSTONE ST70F 700W Modular / Q6600 G0 @ 3.2 / Swiftech Apogee GT Block /Asus P5Q Pro / 2x2gb 1066 G-Skill / EVGA GTX570 / 2 x Asus VH242 1080p monitors / Audigy Xi-Fi Platinum / Seagate 160gb HDD / Seagate 500gb HDD

Laptop: Inspiron 1520 15.4" LCD/ Intel Core 2 Duo 7300 (2ghz) / 2 gb RAM / 8600m GT / 80gb HDD / N Wireless / Blue Tooth

Media Center: AMD 4400+ / 2 gb OCZ Platinum / EVGA 9800gt / Audigty 2ZS / 42" LG 1080p 120hz / 3 x 1.5tb HDDs

Xbox 360 / Wii
Buenamos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-08, 11:46 AM   #12
Lyme

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordJuanlo
MS does let the community play with the 360, it's called the XNA creators club.
Lyme is offline   Reply With Quote