Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > Console World

Newegg Daily Deals

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-12-08, 01:12 PM   #13
ViN86
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 15,486
Default Re: PS3 MegaBox Homebrew Project !!! WHOOOT !!!

ooooh. im going to wait to see how this develops
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-08, 03:32 PM   #14
brady
I'm like everyone else.
 
brady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 2,376
Default Re: PS3 MegaBox Homebrew Project !!! WHOOOT !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyme
MS does let the community play with the 360, it's called the XNA creators club.
They also make it so the community can play lots of video games.
__________________
C2Q @ 3.6GHz | GA-P35-DS3L | 8GB DDR2 | EVGA GTX 580 SC 1.5GB | Windows 7 Ultimate x64

C2D @ 3.0GHz | GA-P35-DS3L | 4GB DDR2 | HIS AMD 6990 4GB | OS X Lion 10.7 | Windows 7 Ultimate x64
brady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-08, 10:01 PM   #15
ViN86
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 15,486
Default Re: PS3 MegaBox Homebrew Project !!! WHOOOT !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyme
MS does let the community play with the 360, it's called the XNA creators club.
if you take the time to read the licensing on that, you will find that any game you write, MS owns. it's pretty ridiculous.

also, you have to pay money to run your own games on your 360. the whole thing is a scam imo.
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-08, 10:36 PM   #16
Subtestube
Anisymbolic
 
Subtestube's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Wellington, New Zealand
Posts: 1,365
Default Re: PS3 MegaBox Homebrew Project !!! WHOOOT !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViN86
if you take the time to read the licensing on that, you will find that any game you write, MS owns.
Just to clarify this point, could you point me to the documentation that actually states that? As far as I can tell, at the moment you can't make something that connects to any network, you can't make something commercial for XBOX using XNA (though that's coming later), and you can't make something commercial that runs on any other non-windows platform. I've seen nothing that specifies that things made with XNA belong to MS, so I'd just generally be interested to see where that information come from.

The point about paying to run code on your 360 is fair, but being fair in the contrary direction, it's a hell of a lot cheaper than becoming a licensed developer for any of the consoles, which is the only way to actually write games for any of them (in as much as you can write things for linux, you get no video drivers, which restricts what you can do in a game-y sense pretty heavily. Of course, as a general purpose media player you're going to be able to do much more under linux, as you can code what you like for it!)
__________________
Dr Possible: Core 2 Duo E6400 on Gigabyte GA-965P-DS4. Galaxy GeForce 7600GT. 2GB Corsair XMS 2 DDR2-6400 RAM (CL5). ATi Theatre 550 Pro. Windows XP MCE. All stored in Piano black Antec Sonata II, with a broken door.

Mobile: ASUS M2400N, Pentium M 1.5 GHz. 512 MB DDR RAM. Intel EXTREME graphics. Windows XP SP 2 / Ubuntu 5.10.

Ridiculous DOES not have an 'e' in it. It comes from "ridicule" and has less than nothing to do with the colour red.
Subtestube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-08, 10:51 PM   #17
ViN86
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 15,486
Default Re: PS3 MegaBox Homebrew Project !!! WHOOOT !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subtestube
Just to clarify this point, could you point me to the documentation that actually states that? As far as I can tell, at the moment you can't make something that connects to any network, you can't make something commercial for XBOX using XNA (though that's coming later), and you can't make something commercial that runs on any other non-windows platform. I've seen nothing that specifies that things made with XNA belong to MS, so I'd just generally be interested to see where that information come from.

The point about paying to run code on your 360 is fair, but being fair in the contrary direction, it's a hell of a lot cheaper than becoming a licensed developer for any of the consoles, which is the only way to actually write games for any of them (in as much as you can write things for linux, you get no video drivers, which restricts what you can do in a game-y sense pretty heavily. Of course, as a general purpose media player you're going to be able to do much more under linux, as you can code what you like for it!)
well i didnt mean it as anything you write MS can claim and sell. sorry, i was vague. i was more referring to what you stated. you can only use it for personal use and only distribute to other people who have paid for the XNA development on their consoles.

i mean, you should be able to distribute a few discs to your friends. but then again, these are consoles... not PC's.
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-08, 12:45 AM   #18
Lyme
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 2,682
Default Re: PS3 MegaBox Homebrew Project !!! WHOOOT !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViN86
well i didnt mean it as anything you write MS can claim and sell. sorry, i was vague. i was more referring to what you stated. you can only use it for personal use and only distribute to other people who have paid for the XNA development on their consoles.

i mean, you should be able to distribute a few discs to your friends. but then again, these are consoles... not PC's.
You can distribute up to four copies of the software for personal use.

The underlying reason for the tone and direction of the elua for the XNA developers kit is simply. MS has invested a significant amount of money in their "enthusiast" tools, and they don't want you creating for other platforms or distributing products made with the tools freely. You should know, that MS also sells professional tools that give you many more freedoms than the "enthusiast" tools do. Otherwise all the console manufacturers require that they sign off on your product before they will let anyone release it for their platform.

Per the PS3 and linux, Sony isn't really providing you with any tools that they have developed, or particularly spent time on, so it doesn't really count now does it.
Lyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-08, 05:32 PM   #19
nemecb
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Rochester, MN
Posts: 4,018
Default Re: PS3 MegaBox Homebrew Project !!! WHOOOT !!!

I thought that looked a little like MythTV. Freevo's pretty close to the same thing.

On the 3d gaming front, I know that nouveau has been working on getting some accelerated drivers for the PS3, but I don't think they have anything that advanced yet. NVidia has said that they won't help or more importantly hinder the project, so it's possible that at some point in the future accelerated drivers could happen though.
nemecb is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:54 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2014, nV News.