Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > MMORPGs

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-15-08, 05:59 AM   #13
yuriz43

Default Re: I quite WoW today

Good for you man. First person shooters are a great alternative to MMOs. They take less time to play, and require no commitment.
With a game such as TF2 you can join a server at anytime, and play for however long you like ( NO STRINGS ATTACHED). No groups that will bitch at you if you have to quit suddenly etc....

You should also try and get into some other none computer gaming activities, and focus on them more. Bowling, Pool, hell even an old school arcade if you must play video games! As long as it takes you away from the computer/internet.

I can definitely relate to your issues with MMOs and gaming addiction in general. I missed out on college because of Everquest and Quake2. I'm 24 now and have found a median, but it is still something I struggle with.

*Compewtor*Keeeboard*Mice*Mice Pad
*Cofe Jug*Old Bear Can*5x blu LED's
*Bag of chips that I forgot to throw away*Moniter
yuriz43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-08, 07:59 AM   #14
Son Goku

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS|
Um nothing really takes too long to accomplish in WoW... EQ now thats a different story.
Actually, grinding for my hunter's mount, took fricken ages; and more then 6 hours. Realms down, so will have to pull a screenshot off the web

I just couldn't do that much grinding at once. I began it in Dec 06, and had my mount by April or May or so, 07. I hit 70, and was kara attuned before I had it. A also, was on another realm part of the time, and on other chars, as I kept waiting for Gilthanas to come back, the last memory having had, was the hour we played in Feb. where he told me he had laundry to do for work tomarrow (after he was snowed in on his trip for a couple weeks or so), and "I'll be on tomarrow".

This was no 2.3 easy rep grind either. This was back in the days when one still only got +75 rep per RRQ turn in (I think it was +50 at first), and one had to go from 0 neutral, up to exalted on RRQs only.
Son Goku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-08, 08:03 AM   #15
Tr1cK
not coming back

I'm playing again just to do PvP. Screw the whole massive PvE raid grind.
You can be casual and PvP and get rewards. There's no way you can in PvE.
Tr1cK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-08, 09:40 AM   #16
jeffmd
Has a vegetation fetish

They arn't called welfare epics for no reason. PvP sucks balls in wow. Essentially its a 2 step process... #1 pick a class thats good in pvp (some totaly fail, some are ok.. some own), #2 pickup your epics at the vendor.

Of course that just brings the worth of pvp gear to rock bottom. The only victim here is they chose to reuse tier 4-6 gear graphics making it harder to tell those with skill apart with those who have an hour to burn a week in arenas.
Old 01-15-08, 10:58 AM   #17
Son Goku

Eh, depending on class, s2 and s3 isn't bad. For a hunter s3 is actually a bit decent. For a rogue however, one's better off going with the tier sets. I've got both classes at 70... Deadly throw bonus for one thing, isn't exactly the most useful...

As to PvP; I'm not sure I'd call it exactly wellfare for the ali to suffer through AV post 2.3. Largely because it's a lot of frustration and taking it up the arse, to get less honor (without bonuses) then one could get from world PvP. I kid you not. I've seen AVs that have got about 11 honor points, for the time commitment. This was one for instance where the horde wiped the people as they were running down, before they ever got to the first GY, and the entire time was spent in defense, as they steamrolled to the end, and skipped much in rushing the end.

On the other hand, when my warrior was mining thorium to hit 300 BS (he now has like 342, and he had a lot of fel iron in bank already), I grabed a silithist and ran it back to the extractor. In no more then a minute I had like +19 honor, rather then +11. Given the time commitment, I just laughed at getting more honor running Silithist to extractor, then in doing an entire AV for alliance many of these recent days.

This said, it isn't always a matter of skill. My shamy will likely be a PvP char. In large measure, I don't like healing Anyhow, I have 2 other chars (and soon my warrior will be 70), one of which has raided, another of which will begin this week. Sometimes it's a lil variety to do different things, on dif guys.
Son Goku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-08, 11:33 AM   #18
conroejoe
*BANNED*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son Goku
Actually, grinding for my hunter's mount, took fricken ages; and more then 6 hours. Realms down, so will have to pull a screenshot off the web

I just couldn't do that much grinding at once. I began it in Dec 06, and had my mount by April or May or so, 07. I hit 70, and was kara attuned before I had it. A also, was on another realm part of the time, and on other chars, as I kept waiting for Gilthanas to come back, the last memory having had, was the hour we played in Feb. where he told me he had laundry to do for work tomarrow (after he was snowed in on his trip for a couple weeks or so), and "I'll be on tomarrow".

This was no 2.3 easy rep grind either. This was back in the days when one still only got +75 rep per RRQ turn in (I think it was +50 at first), and one had to go from 0 neutral, up to exalted on RRQs only.
Never got into MMOs and never will.. but this screenshot alone is enough to scare me from WoW forever. I would never play a game that looked that bad lol.
conroejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-08, 11:47 AM   #19
arioch21
Vengeful Blades

Quote:
Originally Posted by conroejoe
Never got into MMOs and never will.. but this screenshot alone is enough to scare me from WoW forever. I would never play a game that looked that bad lol.
yes cause graphics are everything.
arioch21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-08, 11:58 AM   #20
nVJoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son Goku
Trust me, grinding in WoW is VASTLY easier than EQ or EQ2. IN EQ you needed a group to kill the same mob over and over and over. And most the time you had to get in line to kill the mob. So you get in line to kill it when the respawn time is 20 minutes. This took months on end and if you died... YOU LOST ALL YOUR LOOT AND MONTHS OF XP! Sure they lessened the death penalty after 6 years of that stupid game but only a self-hating moron would play a CRAPPY! game like EQ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffmd
They arn't called welfare epics for no reason. PvP sucks balls in wow. Essentially its a 2 step process... #1 pick a class thats good in pvp (some totaly fail, some are ok.. some own), #2 pickup your epics at the vendor.

Of course that just brings the worth of pvp gear to rock bottom. The only victim here is they chose to reuse tier 4-6 gear graphics making it harder to tell those with skill apart with those who have an hour to burn a week in arenas.
PVP in WoW is the best of any MMO bar none. The movement, battle engine IS just the best. The whole idea is to move you through PVP to keep it from being stale.

PVP gear is different than tiered gear. You don't wear PVP gear in raids.
nVJoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-15-08, 11:59 AM   #21
Tr1cK
not coming back

Quote:
Originally Posted by conroejoe
WoW has excellent graphics for the range of hardware it can run on. I prefer the cartoony look as it will age better than the realistic looking games out there. The only realistic looking MMO that I have liked the graphics has been LOTRO. EQ2 and GW both look like crap IMO. It's prob my dislike for the whole 'make everyone look Asian' thing that SOE and NCSoft like to do.
Tr1cK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-08, 12:28 PM   #22
spirited1

Quote:
Originally Posted by nVJoe
Trust me, grinding in WoW is VASTLY easier than EQ or EQ2. IN EQ you needed a group to kill the same mob over and over and over. And most the time you had to get in line to kill the mob. So you get in line to kill it when the respawn time is 20 minutes. This took months on end and if you died... YOU LOST ALL YOUR LOOT AND MONTHS OF XP! Sure they lessened the death penalty after 6 years of that stupid game but only a self-hating moron would play a CRAPPY! game like EQ.
Eh? You didn't lose all your loot and months of xp when you died. Unless you were you bugged or something? I know the first month after release in 1999 was really buggy.
Old 01-15-08, 12:51 PM   #23
nVJoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by spirited1
Eh? You didn't lose all your loot and months of xp when you died. Unless you were you bugged or something? I know the first month after release in 1999 was really buggy.
I am exaggerating a little bit but it is true. If you could not get someone to drag your body back to you or you could not get to your body (which happened a lot) then you were screwed. Either way you were penalized heavily for dying and don't get me started on mob training, "TRAIN COMING THROUGH!" The game was and IS friking stupid.
nVJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-08, 12:59 PM   #24
spirited1

Quote:
Originally Posted by nVJoe
I am exaggerating a little bit but it is true. If you could not get someone to drag your body back to you or you could not get to your body (which happened a lot) then you were screwed. Either way you were penalized heavily for dying and don't get me started on mob training, "TRAIN COMING THROUGH!" The game was and IS friking stupid.
Oh I see you mean the /consent command to drag your corpse. No, they changed that around 8 years ago, nobody can loot your corpse after consent anymore.