Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > MMORPGs

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-15-08, 06:54 PM   #49
Tr1cK
not coming back

Default Re: I quite WoW today

Damn Son.

I don't think I've ever seen you post less than a few paragraphs.
Tr1cK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-08, 07:09 PM   #50
Son Goku

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomy942
thats precisley why my wife is a stay at home mom and we dont have cable tv. we play games wogether and hang out with baby. i dance with her every night after i get home from work and we are always helping her learn things. she is 7 months old and already trying to talk, been standing on her own for 3 months and hasnt had a bottle in 2 months. she is advanced and it's solely becasue my wife and myself (to a lesser extent) spend lots of time with her.
Certainly is an answer to some of the arguments over expenses. Only thing that remains, is upgrade one graphics card, you don't have to upgrade the other. But then it saves the "why are you using money to buy a $400 graphics card", when out the other side there's a use of credit card to spend $150 on a hair do

When all is said and done, it's the one thing that I'd say could keep one comming back. I've been there, having the mount, having many of the reps I looked for, on my hunter at least having completed almost every non-group, non-raid, non-instance quest; and having completed most group and a lot of instance quests also. There really is not all that much left except grinding (though many of his reps are now exalted, or a fair bit into revered), grinding for gold, dailies, and of course end game (kara, or I've been in Gruul's isn't the end) or PvP.

Grinding grows boring, which is why people break it up with alts, interchange activities, what not. The most fun I ever had was when Gilthanas and I played together; and looking back it wasn't the goal which mattered so much, or made it fun. It was simply being with him and doing stuff together, which we could both use. I've had most other friends, realm transfer, whatever, though a couple have come back after a fair time away. And you know what? With almost everything said and done; it's times with one's friends (or in your case family) that matters, and makes it fun. Without this, it just loses a lot of the fun one otherwise would have.

Meh, when I rushed to 60 (then cap), and had some of the reps on an earlier character, I knew this; but couldn't find a way to tell him, who felt it necessary to "play catch up", until we started rushing each other. The goals, which well I set at first, didn't matter so much at the end. Unfortunate, when he was back in Dec 06 after some financial probs, I could never find a way to explain to him why he remembered those earlier days so fondly. Yeah, I know, I was the first to rush myself....

If he ever does come back, and unlike last March, actually lets me know it's him; I'm gonna do what I was seriously considering last January, and that's give him my email, and perhaps other contact info. On this front, I should have been less cagey, when we were becoming quite good friends. I simply will not give it out to whoever, without knowing it's him; for obvious reasons. In the end, it's spending time with friends and what not, be it in game or out, which matters. All else, is really just stuff to do...

In any case, good for you. Rather then running off and doing whatever, you've found some things you can do with your wife...
Son Goku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-08, 01:10 AM   #51
nVJoe

Grinding for the mounts in WoW was easy. It didn't matter if it was the epic flying mount. You could have it in two weeks. Easy
nVJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-08, 01:11 AM   #52
methimpikehoses

Quote:
Originally Posted by nVJoe
Grinding for the mounts in WoW was easy. It didn't matter if it was the epic flying mount. You could have it in two weeks. Easy
Getting the shakes yet, Joe?
Old 01-16-08, 07:30 AM   #53
Son Goku

Quote:
Originally Posted by nVJoe
All of the special mounts wouldn't be 2 weeks. If you managed to get the Winterspring mount in 2 weeks; I pity how much you must have done that rep grinding, certainly as I did it pre-2.3. Anyone reading this, not sure, this is the mount my hunter has

http://www.wowwiki.com/Wintersaber_Trainers

It most definitely was not fun, and was a bit arduous. Not in the sense that the quests were hard, but rather the time commitment. Only error I can see on that page, I had to wait to revered as I remember before the Frostmaul opened. On my realm, Winterfall Village was also heavily farmed, almost 24/7

The raptor mount, or other such mounts (kara has a drop for Attumen's mount, Zul'Gurub also has the spectral tiger as well as the one I want, etc); would be a no way. Beyond low drop rate, those are drops off raid bosses only. Given the saving of the instance, and with the exception of ZG these day, one's not likely to have a group do just 1 boss; one's down there for several weeks. In the 3 months I have run kara, I don't think I ever saw the mount drop once, off Attumen. Once killed, one needs the end game to reset, to farm it again...

On the other hand, shamy drops seemed like 100% when there was no shamy in guild In the time I've run ZG (I used to raid it, pre-BC) I don't think I've yet seen the raptor mount. I'm hopeful though, if the guild is farming for other stuff, I'm like umm, yeah, I'd like a shot at that raptor mount also. Others have joined in, wanting mount drops.

When I get 300 riding, I'll probably start the dailies for Netherwing. No idea how that will compare as of yet, to what I experienced with Wintersaber trainers. Though I imagine it's rep is more like what 2.3 made Wintersaber trainers rep now, rather then what it was pre-BC until about November.

Now, with 2 weeks, are you saying you got one of these rare or special mounts in this time, as I had? Or simply the 5k gold for an epic flying mount? Rare mounts take a bit longer, and can't simply be purchased, requiring either exalted rep, a boss drop in a raid, or whatever.
Old 01-16-08, 08:13 AM   #54
ATOJAR
Bish Bash Bosh

Send a message via MSN to ATOJAR

Ive never played a MMO game before, my games have always been games like counter strike source, day of defeat, TF2, BF2\2142 ... i even love a round of golf on TW2008 with afew mates on TS, great laugh.

This WoW sound really addictive, it sounds like it takes up alot of time and alot of effort to build up a character .... to much effort for me, i like just being able to join a game ..... and then leave when i feel like it.

I have two children ... both pretty young, ones 2 & a half, the other 3 months old, although i love to play games i make sure i spend time with the wife and kids firstly! i finish work say 4:30pm help with the kids, feeding bathing ect and then its play time for me and the 2 year old ... i must admit that i have a better time play fighting with the two and a half year old than i do playing any games, ill give the 3 month old some lovin two .... too see him smile still warms my heart .... the two year old will go to bed a 8pm, we feed the 3 month old and 8pm and he will go to sleep, then me and the wifey have some time togeather( ) ...... we usually play on the wii or watch t.v or a movie ect ..... its only really when the wifey goes to bed that i get time to play games on my pc for a hour or two, if it the weekend i usually have a couple of beers and sit up on ts till early hours of the morining having a laugh with members of the quad im in.

All in all i love to play games but for me my pc\games is a easy second to my family!
Intel i7 920 D0@4GHz(Corsair Hydro H80i) - ASUS P6T iX58 - 16GB Corsair DDR3 XMS3 1600MHz - Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Gamer - Corsair 120GB Force LS SSD(Win7/apps) - Seagate Barracuda SATA II 500GB(storage/games) - LG W2452T 24" LCD 1920x1200 Monitor - MSI GTX 760 2GB - Windows 7 Ultimate X64 - Corsair 750W TX PSU - Cooler Master HAF X Case - Logitech G500 Mouse - Logitech G15 v2 Keyboard.
ATOJAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-08, 10:19 AM   #55
zoomy942

Send a message via AIM to zoomy942 Send a message via MSN to zoomy942

grinding for mounts in GW was.. errrrr.. wait.,....
zoomy942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-08, 10:25 AM   #56
jeffmd
Has a vegetation fetish

Quote:
PVP in WoW is the best of any MMO bar none. The movement, battle engine IS just the best. The whole idea is to move you through PVP to keep it from being stale.
Let me introduce you to a little well known but not quite as popular game called Guild Wars. Guildwars is the only MMORPG where every class has a chance against every other class. This is because of 3 things,

1) The 8 spell limit to bring into a fight is there to balance out the fact that most classes have spells covering a wide range of abilities to combat other classes. So you have the ability to attack or defend any class, with the right selection of spells.

2) every player can choose another class (and switch between as many times as they want when in towns, towns are non-combat zones where you can adjust attriubtes, spells, group makeup) as their secondary class. This opens up all the spells available to that class, although you will be splitting up your attribute points (think talent points) among 2 sets of class trees. Also thers a primary attribute tree for each class that is not available as a secondary class.

3) One of its biggest weeknesses is also its strongest balancing point. Aside from looks and the shuffling of a few stats, armor and weapon stats stay in the same general area (at level 20). There are uber swords of dragon slaying, but they have the same stats as the questable sword available from the vendor just outside the city. Personalization is a little tough (this was remedied abit in the 4th expansion, where many sets of armors were introduced) but theres no imbalance like WoW and Everquest had between casual players and epic geared raiders.

Quote:
PVP gear is different than tiered gear. You don't wear PVP gear in raids.
I can accept that, but they didn't need to make it look the same.

Quote:
Where did this line of Bull&#@# come from? You can make about 60g (closer to 100 now if you do the pvp, and both dungeon dailies) if you do every single daily. 2 weeks, or 14 days, will only net 1400g max. And unlocking every single pre-epic daily isn't "easy", it requires a half dozen full groups to unlock ogrila.

After you get epic flying and unlock all the netherwing quest...is another story.

/stoped doing dailies at 3000g cause there was nothing for me to buy and thus could better spend the time elser where.

Old 01-16-08, 10:33 AM   #57
zoomy942

Send a message via AIM to zoomy942 Send a message via MSN to zoomy942

agreed. pvp in GW is an all around good time. as an EXTREMELY experienced ele, i can go into pvp thikning of what i want to accomplish. if i want to take out warriors, i will bring air magic and blinding spells. they can swing all day and not hit me. however, if i tried to use that against mezmers, i'd get owned. if i want to take out other ele's i bring fire to torch them.

the best part of GW to me is your requirement to PLAN AHEAD. i cant bring every dam spell i know into battle, so before i fight i need to think about what role i want to play in my party and how i want to support the group.
zoomy942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-08, 04:56 PM   #58
Rakeesh

The last two warriors I solo'ed in wow didn't get much of a chance to even swing, nevermind miss.

Core i7 2600k 4.4Ghz 1.385v | Corsair H60 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 8-8-8-24 | MSI P67A-G45 | OCZ Vertex 3 | Sapphire 7850 OC to Max settings

Rakeesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-08, 05:40 PM   #59
Dvahlish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tr1cK
Damn Son.

I don't think I've ever seen you post less than a few paragraphs.
Hahaha....same!
Old 01-16-08, 05:54 PM   #60
Son Goku

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffmd
After you get epic flying and unlock all the netherwing quest...is another story.

/stoped doing dailies at 3000g cause there was nothing for me to buy and thus could better spend the time elser where.
Thing is, money really isn't the issue so much with many mounts. One needs 300 riding to open Netherwing dailies, as well as the quest chain which begins with "Kindness" which I have completed on my main, ages ago. That's 5,000 g no matter how one looks at it. The remaining 200 g isn't the issue if one wants a netherdrake. The need to hit exalted with Netherwing, else to get top ranks in arenas (the PvP drake), is... The former is a rep grind to exalted, on the dailies; the latter (or armored netherdrake) getting a top ranking position on the ladder for a given arena season.

Truth be told, the Winterspring mount only requires 75 riding, though it's an epic land mount (100%). Again, money wouldn't be the issue (though my hunter has 225 riding, for obvious reasons). The issue was the rep grind, through RRQs, not the money.

The raptor will be an issue of random drop, on a low drop rate, in Zul'Gurub. If one goes in, and were to do just that boss (though the main reason to go is the non-sheep polymorph book), then one simply can not kill that boss again till ZG resets. One's saved to the instance. The drop rate is like 1%