Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > MMORPGs

Newegg Daily Deals

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-18-08, 03:36 PM   #73
Bah!
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 868
Default Re: I quite WoW today

Quote:
Originally Posted by nVJoe
After living that way with a wife and family, I do know what I am talking about.



We did not make a lot of money. We also did not spend a lot of money.


They do it because it is what is the norm now. That is the reason. If you are in the position that you cannot keep up your responsibilities then it is your own fault. Most people do not know how to manage their money. These same people you are talking about have cell phones, DVD players, eat out all the time etc. I was poor, i know what it is like.

It is quite simple. It costs more to have both parents working, paying for daycare and getting taxed double at the low level of income you are talking about. Oh wait, I am wrong. These people get free day care, free school lunch and so on. I have NEVER taken any government money when I was dead poor.


People like you bother me. It is people like you who helped to create the whole welfare system and the abuse that came with it. People like you see people who can't do. People who are victims. We call people like you liberals. I detest this line of thought. I see people who can. I see people who are capable but for one reason or another, they are not. That is their choice. Very few people truly can't. The rest just don't try.

How did i know you would find a way to bring the word "liberal" into this conversation?...it's laughable as is your entire point.

That's the entire reason i stay out of the politics and religion forum because a few of you can't seem to have a decent discussion with tossing the "liberal" card around and using it every other word.

Who is talking about welfare or ghetto idiots who live in shacks with a brand new car in the front and a satellite dish on the roof?...you sound like everyone who is struggling to get by is only that way because they don't know how to manage their money...it's a ridiculous notion.

The company i work for employs a little over 50k people. In the area i live in it's one of the largest employers, and a vast majority of the jobs don't even cover the cost of living here. Do you understand that?...if you did nothing but work and go home everyday and payed your bills you could not afford to live here on your income alone with these jobs and a family. That's why both parents work these days, not because they have to have HBO or some nonsense.

Sure, there are way too many people who live beyond their means, but there are also a good bit of people who work for practically nothing and in those cases having both parents work is mandatory for survival. And before anyone says, "well they should get better jobs"...get a clue. If all these people working these **** jobs had better ones, who'd be doing the job they are doing now?..i sure as hell wouldn't, would you? Everyone can't have a "better" job, there are a lot of crap jobs that have to be done by someone.


Your entire argument stems from the "i did it, they can do it to", which is all well and good until you realize that not everyone CAN do it.

I dunno even why i'm bothering in the first place, you are basing an argument off of an entirely false premise to begin with. It's NOT always cheaper for one parent to stay at home than it is to have them work, even if it was cheaper for YOU. All you have to do is a little math work to prove you are wrong.

Finally, i'll leave you with this:

The poverty threshold, or poverty line, is the minimum level of income deemed necessary to achieve an adequate standard of living.
I'm not exactly sure the exact number for a household of 3 (which is two parents and a child) but it's somewhere around $18k.

Believe it or not, there are a ton of jobs out there where people don't make that in a year. So if a father makes, say, $15k a year, which is below poverty for his family, you honestly expect people to believe that he is better off living on that, than having his wife make an additional $15k a year?

Seriously, do the math. There is no way in hell a family of three is better off on $15k with the wife at home than they are at $30k and having to pay sitter fees or some extra taxes. If you think taxes and sitter fees would outweigh her income, someone has been taking you for a ride.

Like i said before you have no clue. You think your life is everyones life and therefore you can extrapolate your experiences into fact.
Bah! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-08, 04:35 PM   #74
nVJoe
Registered User
 
nVJoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,783
Default Re: I quite WoW today

Sorry but you are espousing liberal ideas. You see things as people who cannot. I see things as people who can if we just get out of their way.

You talk to any financial adviser and they will tell you the same. If you live with in your means and put a little bit away each pay check you can make a good retirement for your self. You do not need to have both working. My personal experience is coupled with real knowledge of what it takes to run a house hold. My father was a credit manager for a major lumber company for years. He later was a small business owner for 22 years. He had us living with in our means and it worked with one parent working. It can work for anyone who is willing to put the time and effort in getting training or education to get a good job.

A few years ago 60 minutes had a piece on this topic. They took a look at a middle income house hold with both parents working and who had trouble paying bills. They went over their income and expenditures and found that it cost more for her to work than it did for her to stay home. She quit her job and they cut back on their spending. They got out of debt and started saving even though they made less as a household after she quit. The problem before was her job paid just a bit less than it took for her to be at her job. The same financial model can be used for anyone willing to save their money. If they are making so little that they cannot pay even the basics then they need to get a better job. It is as simple as that. The problem is are they willing to put forth the effort to get the training to get a better job.

You are plain wrong. Millions and millions of people have done it.

BTW, cry more about being called a liberal. Remember it was you who came into this thread saying I had no clue. Now you want to cry because you are a lieral?


Quote:
Seriously, do the math. There is no way in hell a family of three is better off on $15k with the wife at home than they are at $30k and having to pay sitter fees or some extra taxes. If you think taxes and sitter fees would outweigh her income, someone has been taking you for a ride.
You assume she is going to make the same amount the same as him. At those low wages the women is not going to make the same. You want to play with the numbers to support your position.
nVJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-08, 05:09 PM   #75
zoomy942
 
zoomy942's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Bellevue, ID
Posts: 5,334
Send a message via AIM to zoomy942 Send a message via MSN to zoomy942
Default Re: I quite WoW today

i love my wife being at home... and i love the deabte going on here
zoomy942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-08, 05:24 PM   #76
Gorion
Papahs Pleez
 
Gorion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 715
Default Re: I quite WoW today

I thought this was about quiteing wow?
__________________
The Bird is the Word.
Gorion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-08, 05:46 PM   #77
Gorion
Papahs Pleez
 
Gorion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 715
Default This thread is now about Kittens!

__________________
The Bird is the Word.
Gorion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-08, 07:56 PM   #78
yuriz43
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 130
Default Re: I quite WoW today

Quote:
Originally Posted by nVJoe
People like you bother me. It is people like you who helped to create the whole welfare system and the abuse that came with it. People like you see people who can't do. People who are victims. We call people like you liberals. I detest this line of thought. I see people who can. I see people who are capable but for one reason or another, they are not. That is their choice. Very few people truly can't. The rest just don't try.


Quote:
Originally Posted by nVJoe
Sorry but you are espousing liberal ideas. You see things as people who cannot. I see things as people who can if we just get out of their way.

You talk to any financial adviser and they will tell you the same. If you live with in your means and put a little bit away each pay check you can make a good retirement for your self. You do not need to have both working. My personal experience is coupled with real knowledge of what it takes to run a house hold. My father was a credit manager for a major lumber company for years. He later was a small business owner for 22 years. He had us living with in our means and it worked with one parent working. It can work for anyone who is willing to put the time and effort in getting training or education to get a good job.

A few years ago 60 minutes had a piece on this topic. They took a look at a middle income house hold with both parents working and who had trouble paying bills. They went over their income and expenditures and found that it cost more for her to work than it did for her to stay home. She quit her job and they cut back on their spending. They got out of debt and started saving even though they made less as a household after she quit. The problem before was her job paid just a bit less than it took for her to be at her job. The same financial model can be used for anyone willing to save their money. If they are making so little that they cannot pay even the basics then they need to get a better job. It is as simple as that. The problem is are they willing to put forth the effort to get the training to get a better job.

You are plain wrong. Millions and millions of people have done it.

BTW, cry more about being called a liberal. Remember it was you who came into this thread saying I had no clue. Now you want to cry because you are a lieral?



You assume she is going to make the same amount the same as him. At those low wages the women is not going to make the same. You want to play with the numbers to support your position.


Seriously, where did this liberal bashing come from? Do you know how offensive that can sound to some people? Oh wait, you probably have never left your home town.

You seemed somewhat respectable in the beginning of the thread, and now I realize you are just some ignorant prick that watches Bill 'O Reily and Fox news all day.
__________________
Systam Spics:

*Compewtor*Keeeboard*Mice*Mice Pad
*Cofe Jug*Old Bear Can*5x blu LED's
*Bag of chips that I forgot to throw away*Moniter
yuriz43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-08, 08:16 PM   #79
spirited1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 194
Default Re: This thread is now about Kittens!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorion
One of those Ikea kittens you have to assemble yourself eh? I got a Springer Spaniel with four rear legs, I'm not going there again
__________________
Athlon 64 4000+ ~~ Asrock 939 Dual SATA2 ~~ 2GB Geil Value PC3200 ~~ XFX 7900GT EE ~~ Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ~~ LITE-ON SOWH 1693S DVD RW ~~ SB Audigy 2 ZS
spirited1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-08, 06:28 PM   #80
nVJoe
Registered User
 
nVJoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,783
Default Re: I quite WoW today

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuriz43
Seriously, where did this liberal bashing come from? Do you know how offensive that can sound to some people? Oh wait, you probably have never left your home town.

You seemed somewhat respectable in the beginning of the thread, and now I realize you are just some ignorant prick that watches Bill 'O Reily and Fox news all day.
Liberals are the only people who complain about being called liberals. Also liberals are the only people who complain about being bashed. I bash liberalism because it deserves to be shown as the failed system that it is. Yes liberalism is a system.
nVJoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-19-08, 11:56 PM   #81
Son Goku
Registered User
 
Son Goku's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: 439 East District, Mount Paozu
Posts: 1,714
Default Re: I quite WoW today

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomy942
i agree.. but i meant 2 new cars, with loans. 2 older cars changes everything
I wouldn't necessarily recommend people buy 2 old cars... And in this, people might need financing. I've been down that road before, and I've also been down the road of having to take the older car with 57,000 miles (when I got it) into the shop on an almost monthly basis. Now when the repair bills come to from several hundred, to $1,000 or so, only to need to return to the shop a month or 2 latter, for another expensive repair, it simply isn't worth it. I'm glad to have been rid of that one car.
Son Goku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-08, 12:03 AM   #82
Son Goku
Registered User
 
Son Goku's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: 439 East District, Mount Paozu
Posts: 1,714
Default Re: I quite WoW today

Quote:
Originally Posted by hirantha
What i like to do is what Buddha did, give up everything, go into a deep Tibetan jungle and acquire my Nirvana. nothing to worry about, but cant do that gotta take care of things.
Though, ironically, if one takes the tale, Prince Sidhartha, after going to live the life of an asthetic, had left. And beyond this, devised the doctrine of "the middle way"

http://buddhism.about.com/cs/theravada/a/MiddleWay.htm

Quote:
During the six years between the Buddha leaving his home at the age of 29 and attaining enlightenment, at the age of 35, he tried a range of quasi-spiritual practices which he thought might be successful. Some of these included starving the body to such an extent that he became terribly emaciated.
After a while, however, he realized that this was not helping him to achieve his goal - he simply felt tired, anxious and in pain. He considered that there must be another way. And so, he started to eat again - much to the disgust of his fellow mendicants who thought he'd just 'gone soft' - and remembered a time in his youth when he had experienced a pleasurable meditative experience whilst watching the annual ploughing festival.

The Buddha taught what he referred to as 'the Middle Way, a path that led to enlightenment by avoiding the extremes of sensory self-indulgence and self-mortification.

Quite a humorous sutta tells of how two ascetics approach the Buddha and ask what their destiny will be in their next life. One of the ascetics spends his time acting like a dog, the other like an ox. Thus the ascetic who acts like a dog 'eats his food when it is thrown on the ground', whereas the ascetic who acts like an ox does ox-like things (the sutta doesn't explain what these might be!). By acting in this way, the two ascetics expect that they will be reborn in a higher realm, as gods perhaps, but the Buddha quickly disillusions them. The ascetic who acts like a dog will be reborn in the company of dogs or else hell; the ascetic who acts like an ox will be reborn in the company of oxen or else hell too!
Just as the Buddha argued against self-mortification as a practice that is beneficial to spiritual advancement, he also warned against indulgence in sensual pleasures.
If anything, after it was all said and done, tale would have it that Sidhartha went on to espouse "balanced living", rather then going to either extreme which he experienced as Prince Sidhartha, or latter on as an asthetic.
Son Goku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-08, 12:29 AM   #83
Son Goku
Registered User
 
Son Goku's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: 439 East District, Mount Paozu
Posts: 1,714
Default Re: I quite WoW today



This thread is about to be ready for forum moving to the P&R forum :P

Ya know, this is where I'm really torn. I know what it is like for life to throw a curve ball. I also know what it's like for people to have to work 3 jobs for a family to survive (one of my sisters had to do this, as her deadbeat husband sat home all day, and did nothing). She then had to come home, after 3 shifts, clean up house, do all the shopping, raise the 4 kids, everything. I've seen the lives of some people (the family of the Navajoo girl my parents sponsored) who live on one of the Indian reservations here. And I don't just mean the tourist stops. When I came out to college here, to avoid hotel room charges the entire time between orientation and the dorm rooms opening, I lived with their family for a couple weeks, and saw the rather unspoaken side of it....

In the past 15 months, my father has had a stroke, now my mother has had medical problems, I was in school full time, and everything has gone down hill. I know from first hand experience, what bad can be... And not just financially, but hell my father can't take care of himself, my mother is thinking of moving in with my sister because she's having trouble medically, and my father (who needs 24/7 care) doesn't want to go. The doctor tried to explain to him, that in as much as he's lost too many of his mental and physical capacities following his stroke (he's like 82 years old now), if he's living on his own, he'll be reported to the state.

The thing is, if he is, he's likely to be deemed incompetent, the authorities come into the home, forceably remove him, and place him in a state run nursing home, then with no family around. He simply is not able to comprehend the severity of any of this.

Then in the midst of all this, and with both myself and my family struggling to get by, I run into all the pan handlers, all the beggers. It does't matter if it's in game, with people who have the same wellfare consciousness over some epix they want, which they'll replace in 2 lvls, or out of game with beggers and pan handlers in real life. And the worst part of it; most of these people aren't even appreciative if anyone does anything for them. Instead they come to demand and expect it, like it's their due, and everyone owes them. Don't catter to this, and some get belligerent, accusing one of being spoiled, or whatever? How so? These people have no idea what either myself, or my family has gone through, and what little I have, I didn't get from begging and demanding. I'm actually rather sick of it; and yet on the other hand also understand what hard times can be. I doubt some of these people have any sense of just some of the things that can happen in this world, bleh

But if that isn't bad enough; I have someone who I've considered to be one of my best friends, who wile remaining entirely cagey and cryptic to the point I can't recognize him, or even find anything comprehensible anymore; takes all of this personally, as if it's either all him, how I supposedly feel about him, or I don't even get it anymore. There's not even a possibility to just come out and tell him, because if/when Gilthanas has approached me since the time of that one alt I only remembered even existed some months after the fact; he insists on not letting me know it's him, as he also insists I must just somehow know as if by magic.

Hell, around that time, I had to save so much money, had to drop out of school then (save gas and money), that my days became so indestinguishable, that I all turned into one blur of sameness. Thing is, in the midst of all this, I couldn't even keep track of time anymore at this point; same as occurs with many in the far arctic circle, who have 6 months of darkness, till they can't even tell 1 day from the next. And yet, he assumes I just know the incomprehensible; and if I don't, it's because of him, not anything else.

And you know what? In the midst of all this, I'm sick of people who demand that everyone else does everything for them. People who act like the world and everyone in it, owes them, like some kind of personal slave; and then thinks anyone who won't just give everything they demand must somehow be spoiled. They have no clue exactly what others have had to face or work towards, to get wherever they might be at present. I just wish my friend could figure this out also, and stop taking things as a personal indictment against him, that never really had anything to do with him at all. As to these others, the many who beg, whine, and demand? I just don't really care all that much for it, anymore....
Son Goku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-08, 10:54 AM   #84
zoomy942
 
zoomy942's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Bellevue, ID
Posts: 5,334
Send a message via AIM to zoomy942 Send a message via MSN to zoomy942
Default Re: I quite WoW today

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son Goku
I wouldn't necessarily recommend people buy 2 old cars... And in this, people might need financing. I've been down that road before, and I've also been down the road of having to take the older car with 57,000 miles (when I got it) into the shop on an almost monthly basis. Now when the repair bills come to from several hundred, to $1,000 or so, only to need to return to the shop a month or 2 latter, for another expensive repair, it simply isn't worth it. I'm glad to have been rid of that one car.

agreed. but for me, my car was costing my 4,400 a year. so if i spend less than thar per year on repairs, i win
zoomy942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Windows 8 Release Preview Out Later Today: Redacted Blog Post News Latest Tech And Game Headlines 0 05-31-12 09:40 AM
Dawn of a new wireless: first 802.11ac router available today News Latest Tech And Game Headlines 0 05-14-12 08:00 AM
New GPU from Nvidia Announced Today, the GeForce GTX 670 News Latest Tech And Game Headlines 0 05-10-12 01:50 PM
Warp2search is reporting the UT2003 ship as today!!! malachi1313 Gaming Central 20 09-05-02 08:52 PM

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:56 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2014, nV News.