Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA Legacy Graphics Cards

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-24-03, 09:55 AM   #25
Solomon

Seems the NV35 is making the rounds to developers. My friend said his company received one and it's only running at 300MHz now. He shot me a 3DMark03 score. It's on a Pentium 2.4Ghz. Not to impressive to say the least. Not sure what drivers were used, but the score was around 4200. Hehe.

I just don't see the NV35 as a huge increase over the NV30. But who knows, maybe Nvidia can do something.. I'm curious how much are all you paying for your Ultra 5800's ?

Regards,
D. Solomon Jr.
*********.com
Solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-03, 10:15 AM   #26
DMA
Zzzleepy

Quote:
Originally posted by Solomon
Seems the NV35 is making the rounds to developers. My friend said his company received one and it's only running at 300MHz now. He shot me a 3DMark03 score. It's on a Pentium 2.4Ghz. Not to impressive to say the least. Not sure what drivers were used, but the score was around 4200. Hehe.

I just don't see the NV35 as a huge increase over the NV30. But who knows, maybe Nvidia can do something.. I'm curious how much are all you paying for your Ultra 5800's ?

Regards,
D. Solomon Jr.
*********.com
Not so impressive no..

Are you ready?
DMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-03, 10:37 AM   #27
Solomon

Well he said it's not performing great in 3Dmark03 with the card they received. But who knows, he never tested games on it. So for what it's worth it could be a great card. But from what he told me. It just seems the NV35 is nothing but what the NV30 should of been. At least this early in time... Things could change. They got 2 more months though...

I don't think this card is going to wipe the floor of the 9800 Pro. Especially how high the 9800 Pro can OC too..

Regards,
D. Solomon Jr.
*********.com
Old 04-24-03, 10:41 AM   #28
Uttar

Send a message via AIM to Uttar Send a message via Yahoo to Uttar

Quote:
Well he said it's not performing great in 3Dmark03 with the card they received. But who knows, he never tested games on it. So for what it's worth it could be a great card. But from what he told me. It just seems the NV35 is nothing but what the NV30 should of been. At least this early in time... Things could change. They got 2 more months though...

I don't think this card is going to wipe the floor of the 9800 Pro. Especially how high the 9800 Pro can OC too..

Regards,
D. Solomon Jr.
*********.com

Err, Solomon, as you said, those are *300Mhz* cards.
The NV35 high-end model is launching at 500/400, AFAIK ( could be wrong though )

My guess is that nVidia's developer cards are just the one they can't clock high enough - so they don't lose any money giving them!

Uttar

EDIT: Now that I'm thinking about it, probably not. It's probably the low-end GL model. The equivalent of the Quadro FX 1000, that one is clocked at 300/300 too.
Considering 3DMark 2003 is sometimes limited by memory sometimes by clock, you could do:

4200 / 300 * ( ( 400 + 500 ) / 2 ) = 4200 / 300 * 450 = 4200 * 1.5 = 6300

Seems in line with what I was expecting. Heck, those are not 100% final drivers, so it might get up to 6500. Oh, sure, it "cheats" a little, but heck, not more than the NV30.

Last edited by Uttar; 04-24-03 at 10:48 AM.
Uttar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-03, 10:48 AM   #29
Solomon

Quote:
Originally posted by Uttar
Err, Solomon, as you said, those are *300Mhz* cards.
The NV35 high-end model is launching at 500/400, AFAIK ( could be wrong though )

My guess is that nVidia's developer cards are just the one they can't clock high enough - so they don't lose any money giving them!

Uttar
Hehehe. You're probably right. I just thought it was funny when he read off a 3Dmark03 score of their developer card. Heh. They probably aren't optimized worth of anything, but hopefully the cards do well with games. 3DMark03 is lame, but if that's any indication of a 300Mhz version. It just seems the results will just be the same as the predecessor and just that the FSAA / AF scores will be higher due to the 256-bit memory bus.

Who knows, it could all change when the cards come out in June. I just don't see it destroying the competition. It seems the Radeon 9800 Pro will still be slightly better.

Regards,
D. Solomon Jr.
*********.com
Old 04-24-03, 11:06 AM   #30
GlowStick
CoD4!

Send a message via AIM to GlowStick

Quote:

Regards,
D. Solomon Jr.
*********.com
GPURW reported that a while ago : P but not hte 3dmark03 score!

Intresting to say the least, you need to ask your friend to clock it at a lower speed and see if we can make a corralation for each mhz and the score, so we can predit! or we could just guess : P
GlowStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-03, 11:18 AM   #31
Solomon

Quote:
Originally posted by GlowStick
GPURW reported that a while ago : P but not hte 3dmark03 score!

Intresting to say the least, you need to ask your friend to clock it at a lower speed and see if we can make a corralation for each mhz and the score, so we can predit! or we could just guess : P
He doesn't have direct access to the card to play with it. It's on one of their developing machines. Maybe he can get more use or info from it. If and when he does, I'll let you guys know. I don't want to get him in trouble.

Regards,
D. Solomon Jr.
*********.com
Old 04-24-03, 11:26 AM   #32
RobHague
I like cheese.

I hope nvidia don't rush something out here. Id rather them take their time and bring us something really special and different at the end of the year or in 2004 than bring out an overclocked 5800. :/ I would really like them to concentrate on drivers for the NV3x architecture and not on taking a superficial and fleeting lead in performance over the 9800.

There used to be a signature here, but now there isnt.
RobHague is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-24-03, 11:35 AM   #33
PreservedSwine
I'm always hungry

I don't think it was rushed, heck, it might even be a little delayed since the NV30 was 6 months late.

But I don't think you're looking at a card that will be signifigantly faster than the R9800PRO. Will it be faster, yes.

My bet is that Nvidia will again be the perfromance leader, after nearly a year in second place........Only to have ATI re-take the lead, drastically, with their fall offering. And so on, and so on, and so on.....
PreservedSwine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-03, 11:39 AM   #34
GlowStick
CoD4!

Quote:
Originally posted by PreservedSwine
I don't think it was rushed, heck, it might even be a little delayed since the NV30 was 6 months late.

But I don't think you're looking at a card that will be signifigantly faster than the R9800PRO. Will it be faster, yes.

My bet is that Nvidia will again be the perfromance leader, after nearly a year in second place........Only to have ATI re-take the lead, drastically, with their fall offering. And so on, and so on, and so on.....
Infact, NV35 is ahead of schedule, but their plan is if one product is delayed it dosnet effect any of the ohters, they just kept on pluggin along on doing what they do with the other stuff.
Old 04-24-03, 11:43 AM   #35
Uttar

Send a message via AIM to Uttar Send a message via Yahoo to Uttar

Quote:
Originally posted by RobHague
I hope nvidia don't rush something out here. Id rather them take their time and bring us something really special and different at the end of the year or in 2004 than bring out an overclocked 5800. :/ I would really like them to concentrate on drivers for the NV3x architecture and not on taking a superficial and fleeting lead in performance over the 9800.
nVidia is doing all of what you're talking about.
NV35 at E3.
NV40 at Comdex.
Det 50 sometimes soon ( no serious idea when, though )

Yes, they're in a frenzy

Uttar
Uttar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-03, 11:49 AM   #36
GlowStick
CoD4!

Quote:
Originally posted by Uttar
nVidia is doing all of what you're talking about.
NV35 at E3.
NV40 at Comdex.
Det 50 sometimes soon ( no serious idea when, though )

Yes, they're in a frenzy

Uttar
When is E3?