Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA Legacy Graphics Cards

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-25-03, 02:05 AM   #49
GlowStick
CoD4!

Send a message via AIM to GlowStick

Quote:
Originally posted by Sazar
hmm.... I thought ati worked under linux... perhaps not all features but that it did work...

chalnoth... comments ? I know you have a 9700pro and also linux... refresher on if there is support ?
Yes, as marcocom stated, you can run linux with any video card.

But with Nvidia, everything is directly drawn fromt he hardware, while with ATi w/o driver support its basicly being ran off my cpu.

Actually if you read their web page here. they say 'we TRY to assist third party developers with 2d accleration' hahaha not even close to 3d : O

then the rest of it is denying responsaibility for helping you get the 2d accleration working.

In conclusion:

To install Nvidia Linux drivers:
sh run-nvidia-xxxxx.run
joe XF86Config (then edit 2 lines)
Startx (presto changeo, your up and running)

To install ATi Linux drivers:
No

There you have it, it is easier to install ATi's drivers than Nvidias.
GlowStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-03, 02:14 AM   #50
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

Quote:
Originally posted by GlowStick
Yes, as marcocom stated, you can run linux with any video card.

But with Nvidia, everything is directly drawn fromt he hardware, while with ATi w/o driver support its basicly being ran off my cpu.

Actually if you read their web page here. they say 'we TRY to assist third party developers with 2d accleration' hahaha not even close to 3d : O

then the rest of it is denying responsaibility for helping you get the 2d accleration working.

In conclusion:

To install Nvidia Linux drivers:
sh run-nvidia-xxxxx.run
joe XF86Config (then edit 2 lines)
Startx (presto changeo, your up and running)

To install ATi Linux drivers:
No

There you have it, it is easier to install ATi's drivers than Nvidias.
reading the same link I can't see where they say they TRY to help

they claim they are actively promoting their own kits in order for support of their cards... 2d/3d info available...

I personally don't use linux... hence I have not experienced the problems...

perhaps over the summer break I will hook up my k6-2 rig thats gathering dust and see if I can learn some 'nix

unfortunatley I don't have an agp slot on the k6-2 mobo
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-03, 02:30 AM   #51
marcocom

hovz wants to use that 256bit and get us up in the nose-bleed resolutions with full driver effects on.

want to talk about our hardware in terms of whether or not your 256bit solution is superior, then we strip ALL THE DRIVER LEVEL FEATURES like FSAA, AF and we let them rip. thats how benchmarking has always been done. fillrate. lowest mipmapping, no Vsync. old school. the way you would play it in a ladder match, to win.

ud be lucky to win half of them with the 9800 and this is a brand new architecture with new drivers and alot of ground and flexibility to explore.

or how about this, we just run the benchies and either of us can do whatever we want to the drivers to get the most speed, how about that... beat the FX in every bench?
marcocom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-03, 02:34 AM   #52
GlowStick
CoD4!

Quote:
Originally posted by Sazar
reading the same link I can't see where they say they TRY to help

they claim they are actively promoting their own kits in order for support of their cards... 2d/3d info available...

I personally don't use linux... hence I have not experienced the problems...

perhaps over the summer break I will hook up my k6-2 rig thats gathering dust and see if I can learn some 'nix

unfortunatley I don't have an agp slot on the k6-2 mobo
Linux will run on a 486... and less : )
Old 04-25-03, 08:43 AM   #53
StealthHawk

Quote:
Originally posted by marcocom
hovz wants to use that 256bit and get us up in the nose-bleed resolutions with full driver effects on.

want to talk about our hardware in terms of whether or not your 256bit solution is superior, then we strip ALL THE DRIVER LEVEL FEATURES like FSAA, AF and we let them rip. thats how benchmarking has always been done. fillrate. lowest mipmapping, no Vsync. old school. the way you would play it in a ladder match, to win.
of course we aren't still stuck in those days where it is hard to maintain 60fps with all effects on.

and in most games where framerate is a problem, it is due to the games being CPU dependent, in which case stressing your 3d card out won't degrade performance much.

the days of playing without FSAA or AF are coming to an end. each new generation of cards that comes out makes it increasingly hard to justify not using FSAA, for example. the performance hit keeps getting lower and lower.
Old 04-25-03, 10:27 AM   #54
Solomon

Quote:
Originally posted by StealthHawk
of course we aren't still stuck in those days where it is hard to maintain 60fps with all effects on.

and in most games where framerate is a problem, it is due to the games being CPU dependent, in which case stressing your 3d card out won't degrade performance much.

the days of playing without FSAA or AF are coming to an end. each new generation of cards that comes out makes it increasingly hard to justify not using FSAA, for example. the performance hit keeps getting lower and lower.
Especially when you are forking over $400.00 for a card, why wouldn't you want the ability to run the games smoothly with AA/AF?

Regards,
D. Solomon Jr.
*********.com
Solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-03, 12:17 PM   #55
hovz

Quote:
Originally posted by marcocom

ud be lucky to win half of them with the 9800 and this is a brand new architecture with new drivers and alot of ground and flexibility to explore.

or how about this, we just run the benchies and either of us can do whatever we want to the drivers to get the most speed, how about that... beat the FX in every bench?
marcocom u are now the most retarded poster on this forum. u spend 10 pages trying to argue how speed isnt important its image quality, now u tell me that ur geforce is faster when u make the image as low quality as possible? isnt this suppose to be the age of cinematic rendering? but your suggesting the card that sacrafices image quality but performs the fastest is now the best? if your payying 400 dollars didnt u say u want ur money to be invested in better image quality? not just winning bnechmarks? also i sugeest u read the hardcop review where they use nivida application v ati quality and see the 9800 pro smoke the nvidia card in every single benchmark except serious sam. but oh ya ur card is faster in agressive mode. damn nvidia sure spent ur money where u wanted it, a card that excells in low image quality settings. cinematic gaming at its best
hovz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-03, 12:50 PM   #56
jAkUp
eat. sleep. overclock.

to hovz:

Quote:
This card kicks @ss.

The effects even seem better than my 9700 was
this is a first hand account from bkswaney! why do you compare screenshots that use old drivers! dont compare the cards unless you have seen both of them in motion personally.... it makes no sense. i have a friend with a 9700, so therefore i have seen both in person, so i make a conclusion on which i think looks better. and to tell you the truth, they look identical to me. i know its an alpha and all.. but my card definetely had the doom3 alpha running and looking better. everything else looks exactly the same to me.

Old 04-25-03, 01:08 PM   #57
GlowStick
CoD4!

Quote:
Originally posted by Solomon
Especially when you are forking over $400.00 for a card, why wouldn't you want the ability to run the games smoothly with AA/AF?

Regards,
D. Solomon Jr.
*********.com
Well, i thought that when i bought my Raden 9800Pro with its improved FSAA and AA core tweaks. But i have a probem, i like to play games at 1280x1024. Not pisses me off more then when i have to 'change resolutions'.

The naked truth is, you cannot play Unreal II with AA and AF maxed, nor can you play Unreal II with AA 4x and AF 8x. The final mode i can play Unreal II at a decent fps is AA 2x AF 4x, but i have to turn it off on the out door maps.

Im sure this post will recive the standad "you installed your card wrong" but i really do laugh at people when they post that.
Old 04-25-03, 01:40 PM   #58
bkswaney
Mr. Extreme!

Send a message via Yahoo to bkswaney

Quote:
Originally posted by GlowStick
Well, i thought that when i bought my Raden 9800Pro with its improved FSAA and AA core tweaks. But i have a probem, i like to play games at 1280x1024. Not pisses me off more then when i have to 'change resolutions'.

The naked truth is, you cannot play Unreal II with AA and AF maxed, nor can you play Unreal II with AA 4x and AF 8x. The final mode i can play Unreal II at a decent fps is AA 2x AF 4x, but i have to turn it off on the out door maps.

Im sure this post will recive the standad "you installed your card wrong" but i really do laugh at people when they post that.
God no. I could have told u that.
UT brings the Pro's to a crawl using AA/AF.
I used 2X AA and 2XAF last night with my new card and everything turned wide open on the game.
It run smooth as silk.
No stuttering and all like my pro.

The more I use the Ultra the more I like it.
15.6 inch HD WideScreen
Nvidia 8200M-G 895mb
2Gig system ram
250Gig SATA 5400rpm HDrive
Vista Premium
bkswaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-03, 02:02 PM   #59
GlowStick
CoD4!

Quote:
Originally posted by bkswaney
God no. I could have told u that.
UT brings the Pro's to a crawl using AA/AF.
I used 2X AA and 2XAF last night with my new card and everything turned wide open on the game.
It run smooth as silk.
No stuttering and all like my pro.

The more I use the Ultra the more I like it.

You got studdering on your 9700pro also? I get that a bit in UII and alot in Rallisport challange, i mean ALOT.
Old 04-25-03, 02:14 PM   #60
nagus

Default Radeon 9700PRO Scores @ 300/300Mhz

.... and the winner is ...

Radeon 9700PRO >> 4674 points in 3Dmark2003 @ 300/300

poor NV35
nagus is offline   Reply With Quote