Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > General Hardware

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-17-08, 08:38 PM   #13
hokeyplyr48
hooah

Send a message via AIM to hokeyplyr48
Default Re: triple raptor RAID-0 or one drive separate?

awesome thanks. i'm gonna raid two and just put the third one in there.

my second question though.
can i put the "users" folder on the other raptor or does it have to remain on the windows drive?
CPU:Q6600 @ 3.5 w/ Ultra 120 extreme|| RAM: 4x2GB G. Skill || Motherboard: ABIT IP35 Pro || VideoCard: eVGA 260GTX & 7200GS for triple monitoring || Sound Card: Creative X-FI xtremegamer || Hard Drive: 2 x 150GB Raptor in RAID 0 (OS and Program Files) | 1 x 150GB Raptor (User Drive) | 1 x WD 2TB HD SATA II | 1 x 1TB Seagate | 1 x WD 500 GB HD SATA II | 1 x Seagate 400 GB HD SATA II | 1 x WD 160 GB HD IDE (slow, only for storage) || Monitor: Dell 30" 3007WFP LCD, Acer 22" widescreen, & Gateway 17" || Case: Antec 900 || PSU: 1 KW athenatech or force or something PSU || Keyboard: Logitech G15 || Mouse: Logitech MX 518 || OS: Windows 7 Build 7201 x64

Secondary Rig: FX-60, 7900GTX, 2 x 1BG OCZ Platinum, A8N32-SLI Deluxe, Antec 180, XP x32
hokeyplyr48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-08, 12:23 AM   #14
Slammin

Quote:
Originally Posted by LycosV
I'd use RAID 0 on two of them and use the last one independant. Running RAID 0 on three drives is really pushing the risk envelope IMO.

I think the performance/risk ratio is worth it to RAID 0 two drives but when you throw in a third I don't think your're going to see tremendous improvement for the risk of loosing it all.

That is absolutely the best answer I can see coming out of this thread.

RAID0 is always faster. Adding more drives adds more performance too, until you exceed some bus limitation, but also, adding more drives, adds more risk.

Great answer LycosV!
2x EVGA 580GTX 1.5GB Sli
2x 74GB Sata Raptor Raid0
2x 320GB Hitachi Sata II
X-FI Elite Pro
Dell U3011
Lian Li V2100B
Corsair HX1000
Slammin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-08, 09:55 AM   #15
nemecb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toss3
Seriously do you gain any speed at all from Raid-0 with raptor drives? Saw a benchmark comparing two raptors in raid-0 to a single drive, and there were no difference in performance between the two.

Edit: Found the review here
That's a horrible benchmark and I'm really surprised to see it on Anandtech. Why on Earth would you use multimedia creation as a hard drive benchmark? Almost every multimedia function I can think of is CPU bound, so of course the hard drive performance is going to have no impact. If anybody thought that faster hard drives would somehow make their CPU faster then they lose their geek card anyway.

For a test of pure hard drive performance I'd suggest this. It's the opposite end of the scale of course, purely hard drive bound not taking into consideration anything else, but it shows that RAID does actually have a significant effect on hard drive performance. Whether that will be noticeable to someone entirely depends on what they're doing, so you can't make a blanket statement that RAID is worthless.

Personally I'm looking at RAID 5 for my next system. My only real concern is that I have no idea how it performs on low-end or onboard RAID controllers. I don't want to spend $400 on a RAID controller when I could just go RAID0+1 for less. Maybe I'll start a new thread and see if anyone here has experience with that.
nemecb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-08, 10:58 AM   #16
Bman212121

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemecb
Personally I'm looking at RAID 5 for my next system. My only real concern is that I have no idea how it performs on low-end or onboard RAID controllers. I don't want to spend $400 on a RAID controller when I could just go RAID0+1 for less. Maybe I'll start a new thread and see if anyone here has experience with that.
From what I've seen in benchmarks it's not worth bothering with. The biggest tradeoff when using RAID5 with a software or onboard controller is that the CPU has to do the parity checks for the array. So not only would it take valuable CPU time it is going to be limited by moving data back and forth across the PCI bus to get it to the cpu. Unfortunately I can't say as I have my own experience with it so I'm sure the results may vary depending upon what article you read.
Bman212121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-08, 11:11 AM   #17
Bman212121

Quote:
Originally Posted by hokeyplyr48
One of my 150gb raptors in my RAID-0 array died and for some reason Western Digital is sending me two back so i'll have a total of three hd's.

^ makes sense doesn't it? recieve 1 send 2...

so my question is should i do a triple raptor raid 0 array? or should i just throw that in separately? should i put certain files on there or what?

any thoughts?
I'd throw it into your secondary rig.

If anything it would make the most sense to just make a 3 drive array. As soon as you start using seperate drives you lose the benefits of having a RAID array.
Bman212121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-08, 11:54 AM   #18
LycosV

Quote:
Originally Posted by hokeyplyr48
my second question though.
can i put the "users" folder on the other raptor or does it have to remain on the windows drive?
Yes. You can redirect specific user folders by either checking the properties of "My Documents" etc, or you could create a roaming profile with it stored on another drive.
LycosV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-08, 01:37 PM   #19
nemecb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bman212121
From what I've seen in benchmarks it's not worth bothering with. The biggest tradeoff when using RAID5 with a software or onboard controller is that the CPU has to do the parity checks for the array. So not only would it take valuable CPU time it is going to be limited by moving data back and forth across the PCI bus to get it to the cpu. Unfortunately I can't say as I have my own experience with it so I'm sure the results may vary depending upon what article you read.
Ouch, I just found one specifically addressing my question and the write speeds on the reasonably priced RAID controllers are atrocious. I'm not too concerned about write performance, but 12 MB/s is just too low, especially for the small increase in read performance. Now I just have to decide if I want to go 0+1 or have a RAID1 storage array and a RAID0 OS/games array. Decisions, decisions.
nemecb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-08, 02:25 PM   #20
XDanger
Whaaat?

my WEI was 5.9 with raptors striped ,dropped to 5.2 or some such when one stopped wanting to be in an array.

Raptors are all about the random access time.

Old 01-18-08, 03:26 PM   #21
Buckeye

I have my two Raptors in raid 0 atm...

HD Tune 2.54 Reports
Transfer Rate:
Min: 94.8 MB/sec
Max: 143.0 MB/sec
Avg: 120.3 MB/sec
Access Time: 8.2ms
Burst Rate: 107.2MB/sec
CPU Usage: 4.0%

One single 500gig WD SATA II
HD Tune 2.54 Reports
Transfer Rate:
Min: 36.1 MB/sec
Max: 69.7 MB/sec
Avg: 56.1 MB/sec
Access Time: 13.8ms
Burst Rate: 112.9MB/sec
CPU Usage: 2.3%

I have run it that way for some time and it seems pretty zippy. I ended up taking my 500gig drives and putting them as single drives and not in a raid. I would have to rehook up the 500's in Raid 0 to see what a diff it makes with thise two drives.

I have my OS on the Raptors, My Documents reasigned to one of the 500 gig dirves and programs on the other.

I decided at one point that I was not happy with raid 0 setups for my main machine because if something happens your screwed. You can not take 1 drive out and put it into another machine and recover data. It's just easyer to keep them as single drives and the fact that newer drives are simply fast enough and do not really need to be in a raid.

But as time has gone on I now have a 3 TB (4x 750gig WD SATA II drives) WHS for backups, plus a Buffalo TerraStation so backing up data is not as important to me as it used to be as it is handled automaticaly with WHS and I keep other important data on the TerraStation with manual backups.