Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > Console World

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-20-08, 11:47 AM   #1
SeriTonin
*BANNED*

Default UT3 sales, lackluster on PS3 as well.

http://www.gametab.com/news/1163889/

Gears of War sold in the millions, but that didn't translate to similarly spectacular sales of Epic Games' next title, Unreal Tournament III. Of course, there could be a few of reasons for that -- for example, the sheer amount of multiplayer shooters this holiday season could simply be too much of a good thing and PC owners may not actually care about Gears of War. Either way, it resulted in Epic and Midway seeing only 86,633 units of UT3 on PC moving by the end of November.

There are fewer complications on the PlayStation 3, where UT3 landed just a few weeks before Christmas. Midway had advised the media and shareholders the title could slip into early 2008, but Epic cranked away, putting the game on shelves by December 11. While technically before Christmas, by that date, most consumers have either purchased or printed out shopping lists for what they need to pick up in time for the holidays -- would UT3 have time to make an impact?

It certainly made a bigger impact than its PC counterpart, anyway. The NPD Group tells us UT3 sold 113,000 copies on PS3 in December. That's just under what Uncharted: Drake's Fortune managed in November (117,000) and above Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction's numbers in October (74,500). 1UP contacted Epic Games VP Mark Rein for comment, but we've yet to hear back. We're curious, though, whether the more encouraging sales on PS3 will shift Epic's focus away from the struggling PC SKU.

Responding to user questions in a blog for Guardian Unlimited, Rein brushed away concerns about the PC version's sales. "It is amazing how people can look at two weeks of sales (in our case) in one single territory in the busiest Xmas sales season the industry has ever seen and come to the conclusion these titles are doing 'badly.'" he said. "This isn't the fastest selling UT title ever but it's doing pretty well and we're going to support it with some pretty cool things to help it keep selling over time."

At the same time, we've heard concerns form some PS3 users that there aren't many multiplayer games going on. So, tell us: what's been your experience? Have you become one of the UT converted, and are you there to stay?

All those pc gamers that cried about piracy, the console version sold a whopping 35K more.

Like I said in previous posts, it's not about piracy, it's about the fact the game isn't any fun or any good.

Notice how Rein downplays the sales when low, but last year, gloated about the sales of gears on 360 in the same amount of time at retail.

"This isn't the fastest selling UT title ever but it's doing pretty well and we're going to support it with some pretty cool things to help it keep selling over time."

Hopefully those "things" are a big ass texture pack so the game looks SOMETHING like all those pics we were teased with over the last 3 years. Followed by a magical patch that makes the game fun to play. If those two are done, then the third problem of "no one even playing on the servers", should correct itself.
SeriTonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-08, 11:54 AM   #2
SeriTonin
*BANNED*

Default Re: UT3 sales, lackluster on PS3 as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter Bandit
I don't have any major complaints with UT3...but I find myself wanting to play Team Fortress 2 more than it.

I think the problem with UT3 is just too much of a "been there, done that" feeling. I honestly think the game would be doing alot better if they had waited until February to launch the game, when everyone started to get bored with their Christmas purchases.
They did do that with 2k4, difference is 2k4 offered a new mode of onslaught. I truly feel aside from the un-motivated texture job, they just didn't bring anything new to the table for once. Every inception had some new gameplay mode, 2k3 had that newly introduced, faster style of play, and bombing run, 2k4 had more old school weapons and onslaught, plus tons of new maps.

This one has nothing new. Just small revamps of what already was, and personally, I feel those revamps hurt the modes.
Old 01-20-08, 12:12 PM   #3
Marvel_us
FOOL!

Meh, after all that waiting and the game didn't even look as promised, I don't think people really cared to bother with it because they/we were playing other games.

60gb PS3 Owner
PSNid: Marvel_us
Marvel_us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-08, 12:24 PM   #4
ralinn
Masters

IMO, in order to make a successful MP game nowerdays, you really do have to make something _different_. Kinda bored of all the same old stuff coming out atm.

3Dmark06 Score: Who the **** actually cares?
360 & PSN ID: ralinn
ralinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-08, 12:25 PM   #5
|MaguS|

I really don't think they can say its lack luster if it sold as much as other top titles on the PS3, yeah its not millions but with the amount of PS3s in the US its not as horrible when compared to the PC versions sales. Also if I remember correctly, they also didnt have many copies on the shelf, didn't it release in limited quantities?
Old 01-20-08, 12:41 PM   #6
sammy sung

I'm simply at a loss as why Epic managed to fumble this game so farking bad,one would think that atleast the PS3 version would sell since theyre on a starvation diet when it comes to similar games.Atleast until you find out that you have to have ANOTHER ps3 to host a game on,you cannot rent a win or linux server box to host your clanserver as you can with the pc version (allthough theyre both halfassed and unfinished there aswell) The cell might be capable of many things but the ps3 with its limited ram does not qualify as a 10+ player server.

Epic has taken so many ****ed up deciscions with this game,they have managed to kill it by themselves and it hurts to see the franschise go down like this.its been my favourite online gaming passtime since late 99 but i will never love this game as i loved its predecessors.In their rush to get it out before christmas they released a unfinished subpar product that needed a 240 mb patch to be mediocre even ,they should have kept the game in developement another 6 months and then release it with a finished working linux server,with webadmin support,better UI,without a myriad of bugs and tons of missing features and functions that made the other games in this series so great.

And they also need to get rid of that lying bastard Mark Rein,i cannot even add up all the things he claimed to be true about this game during its development that turned out to be flat out lies.

/end of rant.

Old 01-20-08, 12:46 PM   #7
SeriTonin
*BANNED*

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy sung
I'm simply at a loss as why Epic managed to fumble this game so farking bad,one would think that atleast the PS3 version would sell since theyre on a starvation diet when it comes to similar games.Atleast until you find out that you have to have ANOTHER ps3 to host a game on,you cannot rent a win or linux server box to host your clanserver as you can with the pc version (allthough theyre both halfassed and unfinished there aswell) The cell might be capable of many things but the ps3 with its limited ram does not qualify as a 10+ player server.

Epic has taken so many ****ed up deciscions with this game,they have managed to kill it by themselves and it hurts to see the franschise go down like this.its been my favourite online gaming passtime since late 99 but i will never love this game as i loved its predecessors.In their rush to get it out before christmas they released a unfinished subpar product that needed a 240 mb patch to be mediocre even ,they should have kept the game in developement another 6 months and then release it with a finished working linux server,with webadmin support,better UI,without a myriad of bugs and tons of missing features and functions that made the other games in this series so great.

And they also need to get rid of that lying bastard Mark Rein,i cannot even add up all the things he claimed to be true about this game during its development that turned out to be flat out lies.

/end of rant.

wait for it...

wait for it...

QFT.
Old 01-20-08, 12:59 PM   #8
SeriTonin
*BANNED*

I'm still in shock mode, as to how my favorite developers has become my least liked.

Forget the new focus on consoles, they have to do it, I can understand that. We all gotta eat. Make a pc version decently, I'm a happy guy, I don't care if it's exclusive or not.

But do it right. Give me my high res, better than console-textures, give me my massive online and game setting options, give me a new addicting game mode, or at least include all the old ones? (takes mods to get slaughterhouse, invasion or bombing run) And give me more than 6 ****ing ctf maps. That was just insulting.

It just doesn't even feel like epic did this, almost like that defective group of asshat's over at people can fly that were hired made this slop.

Well, wait, this actually runs smoothly, people can fly didn't touch it then.

See gears of war to see a true port people can fly do. Oh and by the way, how did epic handle that? By not responding at all.

http://forums.epicgames.com/

Take a look at the official boards, still no fix in sight or even made acknowledged by epic regarding Gears. Some can play it but it stutters horribly, regardless of system or os, some get constant crashing, some can't even get the game to load.

Epic can give interviews to defend low game sales, but they can't make a 2 second statement via the web regarding (notice Im not even saying give us a patch, I'm still asking them to acknowledge there's an issue) random issues on one of their games people PAID for.

Old 01-20-08, 01:13 PM   #9
jeffmd
Has a vegetation fetish

I'm pretty shocked the ps3 sold more as well. I guess most of the pc market is content with cod4 and TF2 (as well as Counterstrike, a game I actually couldn't care less about), that you really need to innovate to grab peoples attention. I think ut3 could have use the same formulas as its passed games if it just gave us a slew of maps. The fact that it released with a standard assortment of maps of the SAME game types we played before just wasn't worth it to most. Even now, I'm waiting for the user created maps and mutators.
Old 01-20-08, 02:24 PM   #10
tornadog
Keeper of the Faith

the biggest complaint against UT3 was it was just like playing UT2004. Nothing about the game felt new or unique.
Old 01-20-08, 02:44 PM   #11
|JuiceZ|

Send a message via Skype™ to |JuiceZ|

Quote:
Originally Posted by tornadog
the biggest complaint against UT3 was it was just like playing UT2004. Nothing about the game felt new or unique.
Exactly, it even looks like UT2004. Its the first Unreal game I have not purchased since the original came out in 1998. It is my all-time favorite game series and it was a major let down. Can't really put my finger on it but Epic to me has just lost its focus.
hometheater KURO PDP-5020 | Marantz SR6005 | Definitive BP7001s, CLR3000, BPVXPs
|JuiceZ| is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-08, 02:50 PM   #12
ENU291
Die spammer!! DIE!!!

Send a message via AIM to ENU291 Send a message via Yahoo to ENU291

UT3 is just plain boring. I play it now and then but when I do it's only for about 20 minutes. Give me more Gears and less UT.
EVGA 8800GTX; Asus MSN-SLI Deluxe mobo; Athlon X2 5200+(225X13/2.93GHZ); Corsair XMS TWIN2X (1024X4); WD Raptor 150GB HD; MAXTOR 500GB HD; CL X-Fi XtremeGamer; Xbox360 HD-DVD; Plextor 18X DVD-RW/+RW; Dell 2707WFP

Registered Linux User # 444118 Xbox360 GamerTag: StryderXx PSN ID: StryderXx

Quote:
Originally Posted by nVJoe
Gamers are the most unhappy and miserable consumer group I know of. Just sit back, relax and have fun.
ENU291 is offline   Reply With Quote