Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > Console World

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-26-07, 01:07 PM   #1
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

Default Opinions from console afficianado's

I'm going to be grabbing a console next week (or the week after) along with a 1080p tele.

Not getting the Wii personally, I prefer something with better graphics and more games. I will pick one up eventually.

Right now, I am trying to decide between the ps3 and the Xbox360. There are plenty of threads on the topic here but they are typically full of fanboy crap.

I already have a good high-def dvd player, no BD though. I am personally waiting for a good hybrid player to toss into my HT setup

Also, I am an active F@lder and only the PS3 offers this capability right now plus GT is coming out soon.

However, the Xbox360 seems to have a few more games that I am interested in and Halo 3 is right around the corner Is Forza 2 decent?

Sooo... any detailed input on either of these consoles will be appreciated. I don't want to have both at the same time if possible, personal reasons on that.

Cheers in advance
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-07, 01:33 PM   #2
Connaught

Default Re: Opinions from console afficianado's

360 definitly have a more extensive games libary with great games currently and in the near future (Mass Effect, Halo 3, Too Human, Fable 2, PGR 4.....)

And I have Froza 2...for a technical stand point, its very impressive...the physics, feel of the cars, and sheer difficulty at mastering the realistic driving technique...however I cannot tell you that its a lot of fun ....at the start there is a wow factor....but I have lost the urge to finish that game....(so Big!)

I cannot give you much of an honest opinion about the PS3 but I have a few friends that have it and they are happy with it...especially the Blueray, however when we talk about games they are left talking about the future and I am talking about what I am playing now...
Connaught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-07, 01:37 PM   #3
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

Are you able to connect regular wheels, like the Logitech G-25 to the Xbox or the PS3?

I haven't particularly liked some of the peripherals I have seen on the market and I was under the impression you were able to connect 3'rd party usb products to these consoles.

Forza does sound good
Old 08-26-07, 01:43 PM   #4
|MaguS|

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazar
Are you able to connect regular wheels, like the Logitech G-25 to the Xbox or the PS3?
PS3 yes, X360 no. Your stuck using the MS one.

Honestly, pick the console that has more games that you would play. If racing is something you like you might wana pick up and X360 since GT5 isn't releasing for awhile. Prologue is this year but its only a partial game (not a demo since it will offer far more).

If your a Halo fan (you mentioned Halo 3) then theres another reason to get the X360. This winter both consoles have alot of good titles releasing, some exclusive some not. I would say go to the game sites and read up about some of the upcoming releases... don't judge by other peoples opinion.

As a gamer I think the X360 has the edge for now but the PS3s future looks brighter. MGS4 is early next year.
Old 08-26-07, 01:44 PM   #5
PeterJensen

Quote:

I haven't particularly liked some of the peripherals I have seen on the market and I was under the impression you were able to connect 3'rd party usb products to these consoles.

Forza does sound good
No only the PS3 have G-25 and other wheel support. On the x360 you need the MS wheel
Also a note should be that in UT3 you will be able to use mouse/keyboard on the PS3.
I say go for the PS3.
Old 08-26-07, 01:49 PM   #6
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

Are there any modifications or changes to the newer xbox consoles coming out? Besides HDMI? i.e. the Halo version.

I thought it was supposed to come out with a proc manufactured on a smaller process?

Likewise for the PS3, after the 60gb version, limited backward compatability?

And it does look like the Xbox has the larger catalog. The racing sims look pretty neat.
Old 08-26-07, 01:52 PM   #7
PeterJensen

Quote:
Are there any modifications or changes to the newer xbox consoles coming out? Besides HDMI? i.e. the Halo version.

I thought it was supposed to come out with a proc manufactured on a smaller process?

And it does look like the Xbox has the larger catalog. The racing sims look pretty neat.
Well the reason i went PS3 first was the Formula 1 game I'm a sucker for racing games. And i'm playing them on the PS3 with my G25 wheel.
I dont have manny PS2 games, but the ones i have work fine. I also have a 250GB 2.5" disk in my ps3 Very easy to change.
Old 08-26-07, 01:54 PM   #8
|MaguS|

Quote:

The die shrink of the X360 is suppose to be out by the end of they year but it is unknown if you can tell the difference prior to opening the entire system up. Rumors have it that on the side of the box it would be code worded "falcon" but MS shot that one down so who knows how long till their readily available.

As far as the new "limited" backwards compatible of the PS3... it's really not that limited. Yeah some titles here and there have an issue but every PS2 game I have (80+ titles) works perfect and upscaling looks awsome.

You could always play GT4 on the PS3.

Old 08-26-07, 01:56 PM   #9
sammy sung

I got my 360 for the few games that i cannot get on pc,bought it with Forza 2 and pgr 3 and will buy halo 3 when it comes out.I dont own a wheel and afaik the g-25 doesnt work with the 360 but i hear it will work on Ps3 (not sure though ) To my knowledge there isnt currently a wheel similar to the g-25 available for the 360,havent seen one with a clutchpedal and all seem kinda plastic/cheap.

I do enjoy Forza a lot though,very deep and with hours of gameplay,you can tweak ,tune and upgrade your car at length,save setups and so on. It works extremly well online too.My only gripe with the online racing is that most people think its a demolition derby or something and it doesnt matter if you are first into the first corner,they will use you as a brake and spin you off.Pgr 3 looks better but the cars have no weight to them but its still a fun game and it has what Forza 2 lacks ,a very nice inside car wiew.I might very well buy the ps3 too eventually because GT5 looks very promising.
Old 08-26-07, 01:58 PM   #10
MustangSVT
Stop looking at me

If the PS3 F1 game had Force Feedback, I would have gotten a PS3 already. From my understanding, it doesn't have FFB for the north american version. I refuse to get a racing game that I will play with my wheel if it doesn't support FFB.

As for Forza 2, it is a very nice game, I've been playing it a lot online.

However, I should warn you, if you want to have a lot of fun with it and actually be competitive online, you better be a hardcore racer. I've had to tune a lot of cars to find particular good ones, and then I used online suspension calculator to fine tune all the settings, and then practice with them for several laps and get the gearing down correctly. Most of the people that play it online practice a lot and are very very good, so in order to fully enjoy the game, you need to be a hardcore racing guy.

2. Q9550 @ 3.7, ASUS P5K, Galaxy 8800GT G92, 2GB Mushkin DDR2-1066, Samsung 710N + Samsung 205BW, Audigy 2 + SB Live! 5.1 (hooked up together, really), dad's comp

3. XP-M 2500+ @ 205x11.5, Gigabyte nForce2-400, GeForce4 Ti4200, 2x512MB OCZ DDR-400 "Premier", oldie
MustangSVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-07, 02:01 PM   #11
jAkUp
eat. sleep. overclock.

I prefer the 360 since I am a big fan of the controller.

The PS3 controller is ok but feels really light to me.
Old 08-26-07, 02:03 PM   #12
sammy sung

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangSVT
I've had to tune a lot of cars to find particular good ones, and then I used online suspension calculator to fine tune all the settings, and then practice with them for several laps and get the gearing down correctly.
Any chance you have a link to that calculator ?