Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > Console World

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-19-08, 08:59 PM   #13
jeffmd
Has a vegetation fetish

Default Re: PS3 game load times

bman, ahh your right... some how I attributed xbox games to hd disc.
Old 01-19-08, 11:03 PM   #14
SH64
MAXIMUM TECH

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS|
Crysis and The Witcher are two that have horrible load times.
Actually Crysis loading times are pretty good considering the size of its maps.

but yeah the Witcher loading takes ages esp if you dont have enough RAM.

- "My name is RAM and my tank is full"

http://warhawk64nv.mybrute.com/ <-- pupils go thaarrr! Or,
http://silenthunter64.mybrute.com
SH64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-08, 01:58 AM   #15
Lyme

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffmd
bman, ahh your right... some how I attributed xbox games to hd disc.
The dvd9 drive on the 360 is also has faster read speeds than the ps3 BD drive. However my intent wasn't to compare the systems.
Lyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-08, 09:38 AM   #16
Xion X2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter Bandit
Look at the ridiculous load times on Mass Effect.
10 seconds to load up an entire planet is ridiculous? Some of you are spoiled...

i7-2700k @ 5.0 GHz
Nvidia GeForce 570 2.5GB Tri-SLI
Asus P67 WS Revolution (Tri-SLI)
OCZ Vertex SSD x 4 (Raid 5)
G.Skill 8GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz
PC Power & Cooling 950W PSU
Xion X2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-08, 09:59 AM   #17
|MaguS|

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xion X2
10 seconds to load up an entire planet is ridiculous? Some of you are spoiled...
Entire planet? You mean the large randomly generated generic lands? Any actual detailed world took longer with loading points throughout the world aswell so its not like the entire world was seemless.

If you wana talk about loading an entire world look at Uncharted... not a single load screen after starting the game, and no you don't have to wait while the game installs itself first either.
Old 01-20-08, 10:09 AM   #18
|MaguS|

Quote:
Originally Posted by cOnSOLeDaPlaya
??? I have yet to play Mass Effect but I have heard the opposite of what you are saying about it.
There are 5 or 6 main planets, the rest of the planets are just barren waste lands with no detail and look like they were randomly generated. They have no actual NPCs other then hostile ones and usually feature a single building or so that you can enter which usually has the same floor plan of every other building in this type of planets.

I would have rather they removed these useless planets and just worked on expanding the stories main planets or adding more to the main story.
Old 01-20-08, 10:16 AM   #19
|MaguS|

I had it when I had my X360, I also beat the game twice...
Old 01-20-08, 10:18 AM   #20
Xion X2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cOnSOLeDaPlaya
So you have mass effect?
He's played it; I've seen him talking about it before. Doesn't seem as if he cares for it much, which I don't really get, because this is outright one of the best games ever made on a console.

"Large, random generic lands? No detail?" They're some of the most awesome things I've ever seen. And duh.. they're barren planets; they're not supposed to have people running around everywhere. Would you expect Mars to?

Did you ever get to the one with sand-storms and the comets drifting through the atmosphere catching fire? With sun-flares coming over the rock formations with some of the best texture-mapping I've ever seen? With the big worm-boss that busts up from underneath the ground?

Just the fact that you can travel to planets as side-quests is an awesome gameplay element. Hell, some of them aren't even side-quests; they're just another area that you can explore if you choose to.

Most of the loading takes place at the beginning of a world/planet. There are a few places that load on the fly throughout, and there are slight pauses (for a second or two) in certain locations. Big effen' deal... it's not as if you're sitting there for a half-hour waiting for the game to load.

i7-2700k @ 5.0 GHz

Old 01-20-08, 10:22 AM   #21
|MaguS|

Quote:
He's played it; I've seen him talking about it before. Doesn't seem as if he cares for it much, which I don't really get, because this is outright one of the best games ever made on a console.
It's a good game with a great story. I don't praise it blindly, it has alot of flaws both technical and design. I mean KOTOR had a good inventory system yet Mass Effects is total garbage... wtf?

I don't think its one of the best games made on a console by far, its one of the best stories in a game though and has a great cinematic feel but that doesn't make up for the gameplay and technical flaws that shouldn't have been in the game.

Yeah the idea of exploring worlds is awsome but I would have rather it been done well even in a more limited quanitity then giving me such a large selection with just really poor Implementation.
Old 01-20-08, 10:31 AM   #22
Xion X2

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS|
It's a good game with a great story. I don't praise it blindly, it has alot of flaws both technical and design. I mean KOTOR had a good inventory system yet Mass Effects is total garbage... wtf?

I don't think its one of the best games made on a console by far, its one of the best stories in a game though and has a great cinematic feel but that doesn't make up for the gameplay and technical flaws that shouldn't have been in the game.

Yeah the idea of exploring worlds is awsome but I would have rather it been done well even in a more limited quanitity then giving me such a large selection with just really poor Implementation.
Everyone has their own opinion, so I can respect it even if I disagree with it.

I never played KOTOR, so I can't compare it to that. But I've had no problems with the inventory or anything else. Heck, you have 4-5 weapons to choose from for each character on top of all sorts of special powers/abilities that each of the different species have.

As for the technical flaws, they're overstated, IMO. For a game that looks this good and is this big, you have to expect it to load on the fly in some places. Hell, every character on each planet is detailed on a cinematic level and there are hundreds of them standing and walking around.. what do you expect? There are no generic characters to pass off VRAM for the textures; it's amazing it loads as fast as it does on the console. To have characters as detailed as it does and texture mapping on the rocks etc like it does? I don't think it does too bad myself.

i7-2700k @ 5.0 GHz
Old 01-20-08, 12:19 PM   #23
jeffmd
Has a vegetation fetish

I loved COD4's load screens. Hiding the map loads underneath a great quality fmv cinema was well executed. Its sad that even great engines like crysis and Unreal3 are still locked into loading everything from the beginning.
Old 01-20-08, 12:25 PM   #24
Lyme

Quote:
Spoiled? Sure, but in every game from Eve-Online, to World of Warcraft, Halflife2, etc.. I simply have high standards. Thats the problem, one developer gives us a fast seamless loading game, and we expect it everywhere.
Lyme is offline   Reply With Quote