Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > Console World

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-21-08, 09:35 AM   #25
Xion X2

Default Re: PS3 game load times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyme
Spoiled? Sure, but in every game from Eve-Online, to World of Warcraft, Halflife2, etc.. I simply have high standards. Thats the problem, one developer gives us a fast seamless loading game, and we expect it everywhere.
Take a look at the difference in texture detail between Mass Effect and WoW and tell me how you can expect Mass Effect to load them in as quickly. The textures in Mass Effect are about 10,000x more detailed than the textures in WoW are. The file sizes are much, much larger.

And after you do that, take into account the thousands and thousands of audio files the game has to load in for all the characters' speech...

i7-2700k @ 5.0 GHz
Nvidia GeForce 570 2.5GB Tri-SLI
Asus P67 WS Revolution (Tri-SLI)
OCZ Vertex SSD x 4 (Raid 5)
G.Skill 8GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz
PC Power & Cooling 950W PSU
Xion X2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-08, 11:01 AM   #26
Lyme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xion X2
Take a look at the difference in texture detail between Mass Effect and WoW and tell me how you can expect Mass Effect to load them in as quickly. The textures in Mass Effect are about 10,000x more detailed than the textures in WoW are. The file sizes are much, much larger.

And after you do that, take into account the thousands and thousands of audio files the game has to load in for all the characters' speech...
Hey, people belive in the easter bunny, santa claws, god (in whatever denomination), world peace, the end to poverty, why is it unrealistic for me to expect that all games have fast load times?

Plus in games such as Mass Effect, you don't need to load everything at once. You need to load everything in the close vicinity, and keep track of what needs to be loaded in a non-intrusive streaming manner as a character moves. Mass Effect for the most part is limited by the amount of memory in the 360, and as such put in the longer load times when changing to new areas.
Lyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-08, 01:55 PM   #27
jeffmd
Has a vegetation fetish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xion X2

audio is often a separate component and is loaded on the fly, has been for many years now. WoW Actually has a ton of textures, and high resolution ones too to make up for its low polygon count. Clothing and armors arnt too high res, but there are also many of those that need to be loaded. Ironforge could bring systems to its knees pre-expansion in load times due to all the armor loads.
Old 01-21-08, 04:20 PM   #28
Xion X2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffmd
audio is often a separate component and is loaded on the fly, has been for many years now. WoW Actually has a ton of textures, and high resolution ones too to make up for its low polygon count. Clothing and armors arnt too high res, but there are also many of those that need to be loaded. Ironforge could bring systems to its knees pre-expansion in load times due to all the armor loads.
That may be true, but even so it's still affecting load times, because it's taking away time textures,etc could be loaded on the fly. Perhaps that's why the load screen is longer at the beginning? And it's not even that long, really. I counted it last night as 10 seconds. That's quicker than Crysis loaded up on my quad-core with 2GB of RAM in Vista.

i7-2700k @ 5.0 GHz
Nvidia GeForce 570 2.5GB Tri-SLI
Asus P67 WS Revolution (Tri-SLI)
OCZ Vertex SSD x 4 (Raid 5)
G.Skill 8GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz
PC Power & Cooling 950W PSU
Xion X2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-08, 06:02 PM   #29
Acid Rain
What a sweet little...

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS|
Not really, There are many titles that have far less load time to even no load time (uncharted). It really varies from title to title.
But most do take quite some time. The PS3 definitely doesn't shine when moving data around, compared to it's competition. Even when streaming from the disk, 360 load times are usually quite swift, even when compared to the PS3 using it's HD.
Acid Rain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-08, 06:55 PM   #30
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger

Heavenly Sword load times annoy me. I mean reloading the same map take forever(30secs+). It's insane and not very fun. ::
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-08, 10:43 PM   #31
kev13dd

Load times for the PC drive me more nuts than any console ever has. RTS games take at least twice as long as any console I've ever played even when my PC has superior hardware. Console load times aren't bad- what matters to me is how MANY load times. 5 seconds ever 5 minutes is worse than a minute load time for extended gameplay for me

K
Maybe the guys at Shugashack should play around with their gamma correction just a little bit because most of the screenshot are so dark you can't get an idea of what this game is really going to look like
In reference to Doom 3 screenshots from 2001
kev13dd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-08, 08:27 AM   #32
jeffmd
Has a vegetation fetish

maybe its cause I never really ran around with sucky hardware..but I never really had an issue with load times except for maybe crysis, and waaaay back in the old days when you would load crap off the cd. even blazing fast cdroms didnt save those games.

Old 01-22-08, 06:05 PM   #33
crainger

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev13dd
Load times for the PC drive me more nuts than any console ever has. RTS games take at least twice as long as any console I've ever played even when my PC has superior hardware. Console load times aren't bad- what matters to me is how MANY load times. 5 seconds ever 5 minutes is worse than a minute load time for extended gameplay for me

K
WHAT?! RTS games are almost always to quickest to load for me. Are you still humming along with 256mb of RAM??
Old 01-22-08, 07:47 PM   #34
kev13dd

Quote:
Originally Posted by crainger
WHAT?! RTS games are almost always to quickest to load for me. Are you still humming along with 256mb of RAM??
I'm behind times at a gig =(

Compared to a console though? It's ridiculous. Playing large maps in Anno 1701 or Supreme Commander are killer. Especially loading a saved game that's far along. Those can take to almost a minute. Empty small maps load pretty quick, but decent settings with thousands of units on a huge map? Don't expect anything quick

K
Maybe the guys at Shugashack should play around with their gamma correction just a little bit because most of the screenshot are so dark you can't get an idea of what this game is really going to look like
In reference to Doom 3 screenshots from 2001
kev13dd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-08, 04:44 PM   #35
crainger

Oh I expect it quick. In fact I expect a swift load. ::
Old 01-23-08, 06:12 PM   #36
npras42
Hi Everybody!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crainger
Heavenly Sword load times annoy me. I mean reloading the same map take forever(30secs+). It's insane and not very fun. ::
Yeah I totally agree. Its a joke when you die in a section that is only like one screen big and it takes like a minute or two to reload it.
npras42 is offline   Reply With Quote