Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > Console World

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-07-08, 07:43 AM   #1
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Default 360 vs PS3: Different viewpoint

First thing first, don't mention Games, I don't care which system is better for games.

My XBMC is starting to show its age, its still the best media center in my opinion. What it can do is great, but it simply can't handle some 720p clips and none of the 1080p video clips.

Which system: 360 or PS3 has better media playback capacity?
Old 01-07-08, 07:46 AM   #2
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger
Default Re: 360 vs PS3: Different viewpoint

Honestly neither. A Vista HTPC is really your best option for HD content.

Can play divx along with standard wmv files, plays WMVHD flawlessly.
Upscales lower res divx really well
Great UPNP with Windows Media, along with Media Centre Extender
Ordinary DVD playback, but can play HDDVD with addon

PS3
Plays Divx, although a little more fussy
Not too good at upscaling divx
Good UPNP can be a little flakey
Great DVD playback and of course BD.

In the end either will do the job with Tversity. It's still the best way to stream media and if you base PC and network is good enough it can transcode HD content on the fly.

I guess it'll come down to which console you like the most. PS3 is quiet but can't be used with a universal remote. However will work with almost any Bluetooth keyboard/mouse. The 360 uses a standard IR so it'll work fine with an universal remote and has better/more games (I know I wasn't meant to mention that. :: )
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-08, 07:49 AM   #3
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

I really wish there was posibility to wipe 360 and install XBMC on it.

only reason why i'm looking for alternative is that XBMC just can't playback HD content.
Old 01-07-08, 08:05 AM   #4
crainger

What about a HTPC? It seems to be your best option.
Old 01-07-08, 08:40 AM   #5
MustangSVT
Stop looking at me

If you want to play HD content on your TV, nothing beats a PC really. XBMC on Xbox1 is essentially as good as a PC, minus the HD playback part.

I've been using a PC for the last 2 years to output to my HDTV btw.

2. Q9550 @ 3.7, ASUS P5K, Galaxy 8800GT G92, 2GB Mushkin DDR2-1066, Samsung 710N + Samsung 205BW, Audigy 2 + SB Live! 5.1 (hooked up together, really), dad's comp

3. XP-M 2500+ @ 205x11.5, Gigabyte nForce2-400, GeForce4 Ti4200, 2x512MB OCZ DDR-400 "Premier", oldie
MustangSVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-08, 05:50 PM   #6
Lyme

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13
First thing first, don't mention Games, I don't care which system is better for games.

My XBMC is starting to show its age, its still the best media center in my opinion. What it can do is great, but it simply can't handle some 720p clips and none of the 1080p video clips.

Which system: 360 or PS3 has better media playback capacity?
Assuming your in a supported xbox marketplace country, the choice of rent/download movies is currently better on the 360 (expect the ps3 to catch up sometime).

Otherwise, I can't speak for the ps3 (don't own one, ask someone else). However I like the Vista media center and the 360 does the job of a media center extender really well, as well the purchase of a 360 offsets the purchase of a decent video card for playback. (my MCE machine is headless).
One thing I noticed only recently, is if your watching tv through your 360, if you hit the info button you can change the aspect ratio on the fly as it hits your tv.
Lyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-08, 06:45 PM   #7
crainger

Wait wait wait... If I put a HD tuner card in my PC, I can then watch TV through my 360 in extender mode? I thought it only played back pre recorded material.
Old 01-08-08, 12:09 AM   #8
Lyme

Quote:
Originally Posted by crainger
Wait wait wait... If I put a HD tuner card in my PC, I can then watch TV through my 360 in extender mode? I thought it only played back pre recorded material.
Yes you can. I do. I have two huppauge pvr usb2 tuners http://www.hauppauge.com/pages/produ...a_pvrusb2.html hooked via usb to a lowly athlon 1800+ 1gig ram box with a dedicated 200gig recording drive, and watch live tv through one of the tuners while recording from another. You can even record with both tuners at once and watch a pre-recorded show on the 360 with no hiccups. While I know from experience that putting a geforce 6800 in that box and using it to watch recorded stuff on tv puts far too much of a additional load on that old box. I'm using MCE for Vista too.
Lyme is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-08-08, 12:12 AM   #9
crainger

That's pretty cool. I think I know what I'll do once my HD PVR packs it in altogether. It's an LG DVB 160gb Twin Tuner unit and came free with the TV. Great picture, but it's timer is awful. It'll randomly refuse to record a show and if a show has a black screen in it for more than 5 seconds, it ends playback ::
Old 01-08-08, 02:55 AM   #10
EciDemon

Send a message via ICQ to EciDemon

XBMC is being ported to linux, it will be the same as on xbox with better support for HD.

To me a media centre is something you actually store media on (the reason I got the original xbox in the first place, xbmc). the 360 blows here as you can only rip and store audio CDs, you can't change the HDD and the bigest one isnt very big at all.

I think media extention is a nice idea, but If i wanted my puter turned on while watching movies etc, id just use that one directly and save on power, for a console the 360 is a powerhog too, and loud.

Cant speak for the ps3 as I dont have one yet, but to me it looks better on paper, and you can officially install linux on it.
hehe, Xbmc on the ps3 anyone ?
EciDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-08, 06:26 AM   #11
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

interesting, what version of linux can be installed on PS3? plus what is the status of porting over XBMC to linux?
Old 01-08-08, 07:25 AM   #12
EciDemon

Send a message via ICQ to EciDemon

From wiki, linux on ps3
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_for_PlayStation_3

and the linux port of xbmc where I first learnd about it
http://gadgets.boingboing.net/2007/0...-media-ce.html

Theres a link in there to the actually project site, but I cant access it from work. Dunno if its down or just blocked here.

As a side note, Im pretty sure Ive seen people talking about they use compiled betas of xbmc for linux, I could be wrong on this tho as I dont have a ps3 and no spare puter to run linux and eventually xbmc on yet so ive not looked in to it all that much.

I dont know if it will ever be possible (or rather officially supported) for linux xbmc to work on ps3, but Im pretty darn sure it will be done.
EciDemon is offline   Reply With Quote