Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA Legacy Graphics Cards

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-24-03, 10:02 AM   #25
Badash

well it matters if you thought you were getting the retail pkg with sound card firewire headphones and better copper heatsinks. Personally I thought there was a good chance it was an oem or non ultra when I ordered it even though it said fx ultra retail, because of where I was buying it. However I didn't know it would have the nvidia fxflow instead of the gainward hsf in reviews. What they should do is either refund the money OR when the retail box comes out exchange it for what they advertised. Keep us posted, I will be happy with the Zalman heatpipe, just don't want to wait long.
Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe, silver twinplex, alphacool mosfets
X-FI Fat
WD Raptor 74GB/Aquadrive
Coolermaster Stacker 830 3/8" tubing
PCP&C 510w SLI
2405FPW 24"
42" Sony Plasma
Boston 5.1
Badash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-03, 10:32 AM   #26
Solomon

I posted a blurb about this. If only one or two got OEM cards. I can see a possible error maybe on GameVE's part. But it seems that's not the case and they screwed customers over. It even shows bad business when they remove all product info from their site.

http://www.*********.com/index.php#1439

Hopefully you guys can get your money back. Companies like this piss me off...

Regards,
D. Solomon Jr.
*********.com
Solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-03, 12:07 PM   #27
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

Well, the package was delivered this morning. I'll check it out as soon as I get home from work this evening. I'm sure I'll be in the same boat as everyone else. If it's just the white box, I'm not even going to open it. I'll reseal it and send it back for refund.

Thanks, Solomon, for posting about this.
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-03, 01:03 PM   #28
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

Default Addendum

I contacted my cousin who works in the law firm. She's going to go over some stuff with one of her sales law professors this weekend. If you're not happy with what you have and GameVE won't take the card back, call your credit card company and dispute the charge.

I'm asking to find out if I can do the same thing if GameVE refuses to take the card back without charging a 15% restock fee. 15% of $400 is no small chunk of change and that's money I definitely don't want to be out if/when I return this card.

I'll be sure to keep you all posted with how this turns out.
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-03, 01:41 PM   #29
Solomon

No problem Ed,

I hate companies that screw around with the public. They know that some of these cards are pretty high in demand. To decieve the public like that. That's just fricken wrong.

Let us know what happens. We need to make the public aware of companies that sell you a product and then say, "Oh well! Not our fault!"...

Regards,
D. Solomon Jr.
*********.com
Solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-03, 01:58 PM   #30
marcocom

Quote:
Originally posted by Badash
Yea they are loud but the Gameve Gainward comes with the standard nvidia fx flow not the one pictured. Here is the fan that comes with the Geforce FX 5800 Ultra reference ys-tech BD1250159B-21 46.5db(yeah what was it a 90 year old deaf guy?)

Panaflo FAL3F12LL
http://www.panasonic.com/industrial/.../pdf/fal3f.pdf
i have 80mm case fans that have higher db ratings. the default cooler that comes with the Athlon 2000+ (the thin one) pulls over 72db.

its the ducting. that plastic is vibrating and its letting the noise out the back of the box. FlowFX is a damn nice cooler for free, if you ask me. i think the swithching (turning on and off) intermittently creates annoyance for the user experience, but i accredit most sound complaints to people just thinking its 'supposed' to be loud because they read it somewhere.
marcocom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-03, 02:05 PM   #31
ricercar
fugue master

Quote:
Originally posted by marcocom accredit most sound complaints to people just thinking its 'supposed' to be loud because they read it somewhere.
I've never seen a complaint about FX Flow sound levels posted by an actual owner of a GeForce FX card. I certainly don't mind my FX Flow sound level. My PSU makes more noise than the FX Flow, and the PSU is always on.
Old 04-24-03, 02:13 PM   #32
Uttar

Send a message via AIM to Uttar Send a message via Yahoo to Uttar

Quote:
Originally posted by ricercar
I've never seen a complaint about FX Flow sound levels posted by an actual owner of a GeForce FX card. I certainly don't mind my FX Flow sound level. My PSU makes more noise than the FX Flow, and the PSU is always on.
Never heard of a so noisy PSU - is it home-made? j/k

More seriously though, I got to agree with you. Complains coming from actual GeForce FX owners are very, very rare - although I did see a few ones. Some of those actually come from fanATIcs who only got the card to have the right to complain anyway, so it isn't worthwhile to note.

One of reasons, I guess, is that the noise was hyped way more than necessary. Sure, it's loud, but I'd guess that compared to what the web made it to be, it must be rather quiet. In fact, wouldn't be surprised if some FX owners feared the worst and had a good surprise with it Who knows!

Uttar
Uttar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-24-03, 02:25 PM   #33
ricercar
fugue master

Quote:
Originally posted by Uttar
Never heard of a so noisy PSU - is it home-made?
Well, it's sort of home made. I modded a PSU designed for 1RU servers so I can power a GF FX 5800 Ultra in a Shuttle SFF. The CAI Whisper PSU has a high-speed 40 mm fan that was designed for a loud server closet, not a quiet living room. Details of my mod: http://www.nforcershq.com/forum/view...er=asc&start=0

Quote:
In fact, wouldn't be surprised if some FX owners feared the worst and had a good surprise with it
I'm wondering how much of this is coy and clever marketing by NVIDIA. I measured only 45 dB @ 1 meter A weighting. Tell people it's louder than a jet plane and buyers are pleasantly surprised when it's not.

Last edited by ricercar; 04-24-03 at 02:29 PM.
ricercar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-03, 02:47 PM   #34
RobHague
I like cheese.

Quote:

One of reasons, I guess, is that the noise was hyped way more than necessary. Sure, it's loud, but I'd guess that compared to what the web made it to be, it must be rather quiet. In fact, wouldn't be surprised if some FX owners feared the worst and had a good surprise with it Who knows!

Uttar
That would be me, after reading all the blurb about the noise i was half expecting something sounding like a high-powered vacuum cleaner. When i started up a game for the first time i braced myself..... then realised it had just kicked in and i hadent gone deaf. It is loud, well louder than a normal graphics card but i think its such a good idea (ejecting all the heat out the back of the case) that i really dont mind the extra bit of noise. When you are actually playing a game i forget about it anyway... all noise becomes irrelvent hehe.

There used to be a signature here, but now there isnt.
RobHague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-03, 03:03 PM   #35
mileswb

Quote:
Originally posted by Solomon
I posted a blurb about this. If only one or two got OEM cards. I can see a possible error maybe on GameVE's part. But it seems that's not the case and they screwed customers over. It even shows bad business when they remove all product info from their site.

Absolutely. Thank you, Solomon, for posting about it at *********.

Even if I decide to keep the card I received, I'm going to voice my dissatisfaction and disappointment at reseller.com and at any other website that provides information on online retailers.

Miles
mileswb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-03, 03:29 PM   #36
marcocom

Quote:
Never heard of a so noisy PSU - is it home-made? j/k

More seriously though, I got to agree with you. Complains coming from actual GeForce FX owners are very, very rare - although I did see a few ones. Some of those actually come from fanATIcs who only got the card to have the right to complain anyway, so it isn't worthwhile to note.

Uttar
ya also the noise was addressed slightly with a new, firmer fan shroud and different shaped intake breather (zigzags) from that opaque white or green one. i think the what they could enhance cheaply

racercar you got the actual reference, homey. yours is the first press, right? the one that came direct from nvidia in the fancy can. so is your cooling shroud appear at all different than the one displayed at this photograph?
mine:
http://www.ixbt.com/video2/images/gf...ith-cooler.jpg

http://www.ixbt.com/video2/images/gf...0u-cooler7.jpg

picts of old reference sent to first reviewers http://www.ixbt.com/video2/images/gf...ith-cooler.jpg

ive seen even older pre-release versions.
marcocom is offline   Reply With Quote