Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > Console World

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-16-08, 01:06 AM   #1
MowTin

Default Forced to Buy a PS3!

I need my HD movie fix and HD-DVD is dead so I returned my very affordable Xbox 360 HD-DVD player and bought a PS3. I had no choice because the PS3 is the best Blu-Ray player in the $400 range.

Now I have consoles coming out my *#$

Some impressions...

The 360 UI is much better
The PS3 controller is much better...big surprise to me.
The PS3 looks way better than my Elite.

I guess Sony's Blu-ray strategy worked...at least in my case.
MowTin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-08, 04:09 AM   #2
LORD-eX-Bu
Horus the pointy master

Default Re: Forced to Buy a PS3!

congrats on the purchase
Old 01-16-08, 04:48 AM   #3
Amuro
Newtype Ace

Enjoy your purchase!
Lian Li Armorsuit PC-P80 Black | Intel Core i7-3960X @4.3Ghz | Asus Rampage IV Extreme | G.SKILL Ripjaws X 4 x 4GB @1866Mhz CL9 |eVGA GTX 690 Hydro Copper | Cruscial M4 512GB SATA III SSD | WD VelociRaptor 300GB | Samsung Spinpoint F1 HD103UJ 1TB | Pioneer BDR-205BK 12x Blu-ray Burner | Creative x-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Sound Card | Corsair A1200 1200W PSU

Water cooled by Koolance ERM-3K3UC Cooling System
Amuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-08, 06:42 AM   #4
DJMONDY

Ive been lucky enough to buy both so whatever happens in the "WAR" between them doesnt make a difference to me.

Best looking film to date is transformers imo but i dont think its available on blu-ray...your missing out mate im telling ya

If you really wanna see what blu-ray is capable of get the pirates of the caribbean films and maybe starship troopers. they look really really good if you wanna show off your hd setup.
DJMONDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-08, 06:57 AM   #5
Peoples-Agent
Vape Therapist

Purple is the way to go, best of both worlds.

As for consoles, it's finally worth buying a PS3 now that good games are on their way. The only game I am bothered about on that thing is Uncharted.
Flesh of her flesh they were, spirit of her spirit,
Fallen in the cause of the free.
Peoples-Agent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-08, 11:51 AM   #6
Lyme

I'm still going to hold off. If HD-DVD truely dies, hopefully MS will make a BD player for the 360. I'd personally like to get a 32" lcd for the bedroom rather than spending the money on another console.
Lyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-08, 11:54 AM   #7
Zelda_fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MowTin
I need my HD movie fix and HD-DVD is dead so I returned my very affordable Xbox 360 HD-DVD player and bought a PS3. I had no choice because the PS3 is the best Blu-Ray player in the $400 range.
You returned your perfectly working HD-DVD player because of this? It's because of dick heads like you that places now have such ****ty return policies.
Zelda_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-08, 05:56 PM   #8
Epyx

Quote:
You returned your perfectly working HD-DVD player because of this? It's because of dick heads like you that places now have such ****ty return policies.
Actually do you even know where he returned it? You rush to judgement pretty quickly...I know Future Shop/Best Buy here in Canada advertise a "No hassle" return policy which allows you to bring an item back whether it is defective or not.

Stores are banking on you either keeping it as credit or getting a replacement. Look at gift receipts, after Christmas more items get returned that at any other time of year for either credit or exchange...most of the returns are simply because the item is unwanted not because it doesn't work.
8800GTX
Enermax 565P
20" 1680x1050 LG
42" 1920x1080 Westy
50" 1280x768 Sony
Epyx is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-16-08, 09:00 PM   #9
kev13dd

Quote:

Some impressions...

Don't forget Microsoft said they will likely release a Blu-Ray addon if HD-DVD loses the format war!

And yes, the Elite is a horribly ugly console. I can understand if they wanted a black X360, but did they have to go for the crappiest black colored plastic that ever existed?

K
Maybe the guys at Shugashack should play around with their gamma correction just a little bit because most of the screenshot are so dark you can't get an idea of what this game is really going to look like
In reference to Doom 3 screenshots from 2001
kev13dd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-08, 11:03 PM   #10
Bman212121

Quote:

Some impressions...

My only complaint about the controller is the triggers. If they would have made them curve the other way like on the xbox controller it would have been bliss.
Bman212121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-08, 12:30 AM   #11
MowTin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelda_fan
Duh, if they didn't offer such return policies I would order everything online. The ability for the customer to return items for any reason is a competitive edge for brick and mortar stores. That's why people are sometimes willing to pay a little more.

It was an extended holiday gift return policy. And I'm sure they're quite happy because I spent $400 instead of just the $200 for the original player.

----------------

I rented Rachet & Clank and Resistance. Resistance looks a little dated compared to COD4 but it's still cool. Rachet & Clank looks fantastic. Enjoyed Harry Potter on Blu-ray.

Even my brother commented on how precise the ps3 controller is as compared to the 360's. But on the other hand there's no rumble.

Funny thing is I was trying to press the button to get the disc tray to come out (like the 360) took me a second to realize you just slide the disk in--no tray. Cool.

Oh, I learned I can use my MOMO wheel with this thing. That would be awesome for driving games.

well, back to playing games on my Blu-ray player.
MowTin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-08, 02:22 AM   #12
jeffmd
Has a vegetation fetish

If your pc is good enough, you can get your HD on without the need for either disc format if your a broke bastard like me. oh yea, also I don't care to pay the ridiculous premium prices they charge over DVD.