Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-22-08, 04:17 PM   #13
thor1182
Spelling Expert?!?

Default Re: The End For Blu-Ray?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad_Boy
grasping at straws imo.

I would have to agree, time will tell. If the people behind HD DVD get off their asses and realize that they need to advertise and put money in marketing, then things might change.
-"Aqua 2": Water Cooled Intel i7 960, 12 GB DDR3 PC 12800, 3x Intel X-25-M 80 GB SSD RAID 0, SATA 1.5TB WD, EVGA GeForce GTX 470 Supper Clocked Water Cooled, ASUS P6X58D, Corsair 800D w/ Koolance cooling
thor1182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-08, 04:38 PM   #14
Tr1cK
not coming back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelda_fan
Do you know how quick studios can change their mind? It's not like they signed a lifetime exclusive contract to Blu-ray.

And like it's been stated earlier, just because HD-DVD "dies" doesn't mean blu-ray will sell well. Who's going to pay $500 for a player? Sure as hell not the average American consumer. How about a $100 player? Now you're talking.

As of THIS VERY MOMENT (not talking about what studios might or might not release 6 months from now), HD-DVD is not really any worse than blu-ray. Most movies are currently available on both formats. Now if Toshiba drops the price on the A3 to $100 and offers 7 free movies, and moves 20 million units, how fast do you think the movie studios will change sides?
The price is the kicker. They have a long ways to go before they trump DVD which is still like what, 99% of movie sales?

If HDDVD dies, Bluray isn't going to sell much better, especially compared to DVD. Most regular old folks I know don't care about HD formats. They just know that DVD has treated them well and been much better than dealing with VCRs that ate tapes, etc.
Tr1cK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-08, 05:52 PM   #15
XDanger
Whaaat?

is hd still only 1% of the dvd market?
Old 01-22-08, 06:50 PM   #16
j0j081

this article is pure bs from a fanboy. it makes a lot more sense that HD DVD is the one to soon meet it's end.
j0j081 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-08, 07:02 PM   #17
nicorulez

Quote:
Do you know how quick studios can change their mind? It's not like they signed a lifetime exclusive contract to Blu-ray.

And like it's been stated earlier, just because HD-DVD "dies" doesn't mean blu-ray will sell well. Who's going to pay $500 for a player? Sure as hell not the average American consumer. How about a $100 player? Now you're talking.

As of THIS VERY MOMENT (not talking about what studios might or might not release 6 months from now), HD-DVD is not really any worse than blu-ray. Most movies are currently available on both formats. Now if Toshiba drops the price on the A3 to $100 and offers 7 free movies, and moves 20 million units, how fast do you think the movie studios will change sides?
Zelda, I know you are anti-Sony but think with your brain for once. HD DVD has been losing marketshare at a 2:1 clip for the past year. Now with the Warner defection, which compromises about 20 percent of HD media; this blow is killer. If Universal and the other studios defect it is lights out. People are being ridiculed for buying combo players. Blu Ray is winning. Now, I agree, will it gain market acceptance. I believe as people get transitioned to HDTV's it is inevitable. For one, the FTC has stated that analog signals will be abandoned within a few short years. Digital media will be the way to go. Why not get a high def player (which will be around 150 bucks by then...yes, even Blu Ray) instead of a clunker DVD. I sure would pay extra for a player that plays my old DVD's or new HD media (Blu Ray or whatever). People used to claim that DVD was gonna fail. Think with your head, not your heart. If Nintendo had brought out Blu Ray you would be riding its jock like a Patriot's fan rides Brady.
nicorulez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-08, 07:13 PM   #18
nicorulez

Here is more proof that HD DVD is in trouble. Damn, I may be able to pick up a high end Toshiba HD-A30 1080p HD DVD Player for less than a 100 bucks.

http://gizmodo.com/347773/blu+ray-do...o-93-after-ces
Old 01-22-08, 08:14 PM   #19
nicorulez

Guys, in five years you will be lucky if you find a DVD movie. Think about VHS and the dominance it had over DVD. Nowadays you have to shop in a pawn shop to find that old release of "Bad News Bears" in VHS. In time, the teens of todays will be respectable consumers and wouldn't know a DVD from a CD. Please, HD is all they will know. It is like telling kids that a Walkman was once cool. Please, I know. I am 37 and only buy a DVD if it is not available on HD DVD or Blu Ray (I luckily have both). If I can see it in high fidelity; why the hell buy it on DVD. Moreover, on Amazon both HD media are getting cheaper by the day. Mark my words, DVD will die and in five years the Wii will be third in marketshare (that is a direct jab at Zelda but what the hell ).
Old 01-22-08, 09:04 PM   #20
Zelda_fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicorulez
Here is more proof that HD DVD is in trouble. Damn, I may be able to pick up a high end Toshiba HD-A30 1080p HD DVD Player for less than a 100 bucks.

http://gizmodo.com/347773/blu+ray-do...o-93-after-ces
Who is buying high definition equipment right now? Enthusiasts. People like you and me. We represent around 1% of the marketplace, and that is why DVD is outselling HD 100 to 1.

When one of the formats starts successfully selling (and by successful I mean it hits 30% of all media sales), then you can declare a winner. Right now, it's anyones ballgame. Sure, blu-ray has a leg up with studio support, but that can change faster than the wind blows.

Consumers are not buying HD as of now. Why? Price. Neither format will successfully penetrate the marketplace at their current pricing. Average Joe will NEVER pay $400 for a player. EVER. Even if HD-DVD dies off blu-ray will never gain a foothold at $400 minimum for a player.
Zelda_fan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-22-08, 10:03 PM   #21
nicorulez

Quote:
Who is buying high definition equipment right now? Enthusiasts. People like you and me. We represent around 1% of the marketplace, and that is why DVD is outselling HD 100 to 1.

When one of the formats starts successfully selling (and by successful I mean it hits 30% of all media sales), then you can declare a winner. Right now, it's anyones ballgame. Sure, blu-ray has a leg up with studio support, but that can change faster than the wind blows.

Consumers are not buying HD as of now. Why? Price. Neither format will successfully penetrate the marketplace at their current pricing. Average Joe will NEVER pay $400 for a player. EVER. Even if HD-DVD dies off blu-ray will never gain a foothold at $400 minimum for a player.
Zelda, I actually agree with you 100 percent. The average Joe buys a last gen console with new fangled controls (Wii...cough) while bypassing far superior products in the PS3 and XBox360. Price is king. That is why there are more Hyundai's sold than Mercedes. However, by the time a winner is declared, I gurantee that Blu Ray hardware will be under 200 dollars. Already, some Samsung Blu Ray players are going for just over 300 bucks. In six months those same players will likely be below 250 dollars. Marketshare is king; why do you think Sony re-thought the PS3 and now have released the 40GB model for 399; less than a year ago you would not have found the 20GB gimped version for a hundred dollars more. HD DVD's are already on a firesale. I believe the tombstone is already being incribed for HD DVD (pity); but it is what it is. Sony will likely win this generation handily on the AV front; I think Nintendo has the console crown locked away for the forseeable future. I believe in 5 years that HD players (whether it is Blu Ray or something else) will dominate like DVD does now. My opinion. Unlike the clown who blogged about the death of Blu Ray; that is all it is. Peace. BTW, I am just busting on you Zelda; you seem really intelligent and give insightful answers. For the life of me though, why do you adhere to that last gen eyesore called the Wii.
Old 01-22-08, 10:32 PM   #22
newfiejudd

I asked around the office once who has a HD TV. Half didn't even know what the heck it was. A few more said yes they did, and the rest said no.

Funny thing was when I asked how many of them have a HD subscription or view HD content alot of them answered NO. I thought that was even stranger. Why buy a HD TV if you don't have HD content. And the final kicker was when asking i fthey would be buying a HD movie player the majority mentioned Blue-Ray. And they all mostly agree it is because they see it advertised all around and think it's the best. Although it's a small group of people, it doesn't represent alot overall.

Like it was said before, blu-ray has just done a much better Job of Advertising and Marketing hands down.

It sucks because I own and purchase mostly HD_DVD's..

LOL. Oh why do I always go for the underdog LMAO.
EVGA GTX 280(Soon to be SLI)
4 Gigs of Corsair 8500
Vista 32/ Vista 64
Cosmos S Case
X-Fi Extreme Gamer
TT Extreme 120
newfiejudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-08, 12:18 AM   #23
mullet

Quote:

BINGO!!! +1
Old 01-23-08, 07:08 AM   #24
Mr. Hunt
Rectal Gravy Connoisseur

Yup.. and lucky for us, Paramount didn't sign a lifetime exclusive agreement... so it shall be the end for HD-DVD soon... only time will tell if Blu-Ray beats out DVD.
Mr. Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote