Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Home Theater A/V

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-23-08, 08:26 AM   #25
nicorulez

Default Re: The End For Blu-Ray?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullet
BINGO!!! +1
Sorry, you are wrong. Studios are calculating in their decisions. They hedged initially that HD DVD was going to win. For instance, it is a direct descendent of DVD and easier to manufacture. However, because of the supposed advantages of Blu Ray (likely a wash really) and studio power (i.e. Sony Pictures, Disney, etc), the Blu Ray format is squashing the HD DVD. Even with the firesale nobody is buying HD DVD players. There is a mindset in America that if TV A is 500 and TV B is 700; TV B is superior. WIth all the news of Blu Ray, people are assuming HD DVD is going away. Thus, the fallacy that Warner is going to do an about face considering the domination of Blu Ray in the marketplace is foolhardy. Take an economics class and see how supply and demand affects the marketplace. Nintendo, grudgingly, has the been the master stirring up hype for the Wii. Thus, it sells like hotcakes. Peace all.
nicorulez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-08, 09:16 AM   #26
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicorulez
Guys, in five years you will be lucky if you find a DVD movie.
it will take much longer time then 5 years for DVD to disapear.
Old 01-23-08, 10:16 AM   #27
|MaguS|

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13
it will take much longer time then 5 years for DVD to disapear.
psshhh I bet Sony in 5 years will send out their hit squad and destroy all dvds.
Old 01-23-08, 10:17 AM   #28
Burnt_Ram

so why is HD DVD dieing exactly? damn it, i just bought a Toshiba HD Player before xmas.

I though about buying a dual format player for my computer. good/bad idea?
Burnt_Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-08, 10:56 AM   #29
Mr. Hunt
Rectal Gravy Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnt_Ram
so why is HD DVD dieing exactly? damn it, i just bought a Toshiba HD Player before xmas.

I though about buying a dual format player for my computer. good/bad idea?
HD-DVD isn't dead, but Warner announced after May they are going exclusive to Blu-Ray (and New Line Cinema is also)... so pretty much HD-DVD has Universal and Paramount only.
Mr. Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-08, 11:27 AM   #30
Burnt_Ram

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hunt
HD-DVD isn't dead, but Warner announced after May they are going exclusive to Blu-Ray (and New Line Cinema is also)... so pretty much HD-DVD has Universal and Paramount only.
yeah, that sucks bigtime. stupid format war!
Burnt_Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-08, 12:19 PM   #31
mullet

Quote:
Sorry, you are wrong. Studios are calculating in their decisions. They hedged initially that HD DVD was going to win. For instance, it is a direct descendent of DVD and easier to manufacture. However, because of the supposed advantages of Blu Ray (likely a wash really) and studio power (i.e. Sony Pictures, Disney, etc), the Blu Ray format is squashing the HD DVD. Even with the firesale nobody is buying HD DVD players. There is a mindset in America that if TV A is 500 and TV B is 700; TV B is superior. WIth all the news of Blu Ray, people are assuming HD DVD is going away. Thus, the fallacy that Warner is going to do an about face considering the domination of Blu Ray in the marketplace is foolhardy. Take an economics class and see how supply and demand affects the marketplace. Nintendo, grudgingly, has the been the master stirring up hype for the Wii. Thus, it sells like hotcakes. Peace all.
LOL dude we are so far off from the end of this. I would like to see some real numbers in February of the people that got a HD DVD player over christmas and how many movies they bought. The players are cheaper, the disc are cheaper to manufacture. I will never believe sony would win on Merritt just marketing. How many people will buy the HD DVD players @ these prices? Who knows but we are way off from a winner.
Old 01-23-08, 12:27 PM   #32
Zelda_fan

Quote:
The average Joe buys a last gen console with new fangled controls (Wii...cough) while bypassing far superior products in the PS3 and XBox360. Price is king.
The PS3 and 360 may have superior hardware, but they are not superior gaming machines.

I owned a 360 for well over a year. I sold it last month. Why? I just wasn't using it anymore, and I looked at it's game lineup and there was nothing that I wanted to play.

Nintendo's games are just more fun. And they've been doing this for a lot longer than Sony or MS so this isn't a big surprise to me. Yes, the Wii's visuals can't compete against what the 360 does, but games like Mario Galaxy and Zelda are leagues ahead of anything the 360 has in terms of fun.

It's not about hardware. It's about the games, and that is why Nintendo has been able to weather through this industry for so long.

I see the HD-DVD vs Blu-ray as the same debate essentially (HD-DVD is a better movie player, but blu-ray has better hardware).
Zelda_fan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-23-08, 01:37 PM   #33
TimeOut
Illegal Inman Grant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelda_fan
The PS3 and 360 may have superior hardware, but they are not superior gaming machines.

I owned a 360 for well over a year. I sold it last month. Why? I just wasn't using it anymore, and I looked at it's game lineup and there was nothing that I wanted to play.

Nintendo's games are just more fun. And they've been doing this for a lot longer than Sony or MS so this isn't a big surprise to me. Yes, the Wii's visuals can't compete against what the 360 does, but games like Mario Galaxy and Zelda are leagues ahead of anything the 360 has in terms of fun.

It's not about hardware. It's about the games, and that is why Nintendo has been able to weather through this industry for so long.

I see the HD-DVD vs Blu-ray as the same debate essentially (HD-DVD is a better movie player, but blu-ray has better hardware).
+1
TimeOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-08, 01:56 PM   #34
Tygerwoody
mega ultra God Tit Lord

Quote:
what on earth is better about blu-ray than HD-DVD? I've yet to see any advantages hardware wise....
Tygerwoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-08, 01:59 PM   #35
|MaguS|

Quote:
Thats your opinion, I enjoyed my X360 and PS3 far more then the Wii. I only played Zelda and Raving Rabbids on it. Everything else was meh in my opinion. Heck I played my PS2 more then all of the new consoles lately since there are SOOO many games I have yet to compelete on it.

I dout someone who loves FPS, RPGs and Action games wouldn't be that interested in a Wii.
Old 01-23-08, 02:18 PM   #36
thor1182
Spelling Expert?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tygerwoody
what on earth is better about blu-ray than HD-DVD? I've yet to see any advantages hardware wise....

to a point, most of the blu ray players worked at 1080p out of the box without a lot of issues, where the early HD players where all 1080i and some had issues with stability and hdmi handshakes
-"Aqua 2": Water Cooled Intel i7 960, 12 GB DDR3 PC 12800, 3x Intel X-25-M 80 GB SSD RAID 0, SATA 1.5TB WD, EVGA GeForce GTX 470 Supper Clocked Water Cooled, ASUS P6X58D, Corsair 800D w/ Koolance cooling
thor1182 is offline   Reply With Quote