Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Home Theater A/V

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-23-08, 01:24 PM   #37
Zelda_fan

Default Re: The End For Blu-Ray?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tygerwoody
what on earth is better about blu-ray than HD-DVD? I've yet to see any advantages hardware wise....
more space is the hardware advantage, but as far as playing movies are concerned HD-DVD kills it. Universal standards. Universal support for HD codecs. etc etc. Blu-ray doesn't have that.
Zelda_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-08, 01:25 PM   #38
Zelda_fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by thor1182
to a point, most of the blu ray players worked at 1080p out of the box without a lot of issues, where the early HD players where all 1080i and some had issues with stability and hdmi handshakes
lol are you a mental defective?

the picture quality of blu-ray movies looked like ass at the early stages of development.
Old 01-23-08, 01:26 PM   #39
Zelda_fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by thor1182
to a point, most of the blu ray players worked at 1080p out of the box without a lot of issues, where the early HD players where all 1080i and some had issues with stability and hdmi handshakes
and if you have a TV that can deinterlace properly, 1080i is 100% identical to 1080p.
Old 01-23-08, 01:27 PM   #40
npras42
Hi Everybody!

What the hell does this thread have to do with PS3 or XBOX or Wii??? Every bleeding HD thread ends up in that discussion...

As someone said above, "price is king". At current prices Blu-ray will never be successful but who here honestly believes that BD players will never get to the sub-$100 level? It looks like HD-DVD is going downhill, Blu-Ray on the other hand is just about holding its own as an upstart technology and garnering more support than ever.

As long the price comes down quickly enough before digital downloads and the such become the major force in movies, then there won't be any reason why BD-Roms will not become the standard within five years or so...
npras42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-08, 01:46 PM   #41
Mr. Hunt
Rectal Gravy Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelda_fan
more space is the hardware advantage, but as far as playing movies are concerned HD-DVD kills it. Universal standards. Universal support for HD codecs. etc etc. Blu-ray doesn't have that.
Playing movies HD-DVD kills Blu-Ray huh? How so? My PS3 has played any movie I have put in it... haven't heard such about combos for HD-DVD where some titles are hard to get to work... I don't own any combos though, so I can't say it from personal experience, but then again you haven't even watched a Blu-Ray first hand, so you can't really say much.
Mr. Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-08, 02:01 PM   #42
Zelda_fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hunt
Playing movies HD-DVD kills Blu-Ray huh? How so? My PS3 has played any movie I have put in it... haven't heard such about combos for HD-DVD where some titles are hard to get to work... I don't own any combos though, so I can't say it from personal experience, but then again you haven't even watched a Blu-Ray first hand, so you can't really say much.
1) I've watched Blu-ray movies myself, and seen a lot of screen shot comparisons. HD-DVD (as far as PQ goes) wins.

2) There are a lot of sound formats that the Blu-ray player doesn't decode depending on the player you have.
Old 01-23-08, 02:16 PM   #43
S.I.N
UnRegistered User

Quote:
1) I've watched Blu-ray movies myself, and seen a lot of screen shot comparisons. HD-DVD (as far as PQ goes) wins.

2) There are a lot of sound formats that the Blu-ray player doesn't decode depending on the player you have.

3) Evilchris told me blu-ray and Sony suxarz.

S.I.N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-08, 02:27 PM   #44
thor1182
Spelling Expert?!?

Quote:
lol are you a mental defective?

the picture quality of blu-ray movies looked like ass at the early stages of development.
no, but if you read my post and read what you wrote, you might think you are. I was commenting on the PLAYERS, not the format. The Initial HD-DVD stand alone players sucked ass, and most people who are not fanboys would agree. The quality of the HD players has improved greatly, but that doesn't discount what I was saying.

as a note, I like HD DVD and most of my HD movies are HD DVD.
-"Aqua 2": Water Cooled Intel i7 960, 12 GB DDR3 PC 12800, 3x Intel X-25-M 80 GB SSD RAID 0, SATA 1.5TB WD, EVGA GeForce GTX 470 Supper Clocked Water Cooled, ASUS P6X58D, Corsair 800D w/ Koolance cooling
thor1182 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-23-08, 03:15 PM   #45
Lyme

Quote:
Originally Posted by npras42
What the hell does this thread have to do with PS3 or XBOX or Wii??? Every bleeding HD thread ends up in that discussion...

As someone said above, "price is king". At current prices Blu-ray will never be successful but who here honestly believes that BD players will never get to the sub-$100 level? It looks like HD-DVD is going downhill, Blu-Ray on the other hand is just about holding its own as an upstart technology and garnering more support than ever.

As long the price comes down quickly enough before digital downloads and the such become the major force in movies, then there won't be any reason why BD-Roms will not become the standard within five years or so...
Phil Harrison said (no I can't find the link) that he doesn't expect nor see a reason for BD players to drop below the $400 mark. The interview was linked on kotaku about a month ago.
Lyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-08, 03:44 PM   #46
|MaguS|

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyme
Phil Harrison said (no I can't find the link) that he doesn't expect nor see a reason for BD players to drop below the $400 mark. The interview was linked on kotaku about a month ago.
Why would Phil Harrison even discuss Blu-Ray players if all he cares about is the game division of Sony. He's in charge of SCEWW (Sony Computer Entertainment Worldwide Studios), I don't think I ever heard him talk about Blu-Ray movie's...

Only time I have seen him talk about Blu-Ray playback was when it was questioned about its inclusion with the PS3 and what would happen to the PS3 if Blu-Ray were to fail.
Old 01-23-08, 04:08 PM   #47
nicorulez

http://blogs.pcworld.com/staffblog/archives/006342.html

Yes Mullet, the firesale on HD DVD's has caused quite a stir in the passions of the fans. Not really, but I had to say it. Regardless, I think it is foolish to surmise that either format is superior. When Blu Ray first came out, it was hobbled by MPEG2 decoding. HD DVD looked better as they used more advanced codecs like VC-1.
nicorulez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-08, 04:09 PM   #48
Imbroglio
xeroyphyte

For a second lets look at the facts, dvd outsells hdm 99:1, say blu-ray is selling 9:1 (we'll over estimate). that's stills 891(dvd):9(bd):1(hddvd), nobody has won nor are even close to winning. mainstream isn't grasping either bd nor hddvd, a new hdm format could step in within the next 6 months and have all studio support (minus sony) and could easily walk away with the HDM market. nothing is over (aside hddvd's possibility of ever walking away with this market)

HT: 360 -- Sony60A3000 -- Onkyo SR605 --> Polk cs2, monitor 60s and monitor 40s w/ Bic F12 sub -- PS3
XBL:Mr X3r0 -- PSN:Mr_X3r0

Rig- Asus P6X58D Premium - intel i7 920 @3.6 - EVGA GTX570 - Corsair HX1000 - Prolimatech Mega Shadow - WD640 - COOLER MASTER ATCS 840 - OCZ Gold 6GB DDR3 1600*

Imbroglio is offline   Reply With Quote