Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Home Theater A/V

Newegg Daily Deals

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-23-08, 04:20 PM   #49
XDanger
Whaaat?
 
XDanger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 5,723
Default Re: The End For Blu-Ray?

All new TV's are HD,

People will want something HD to play on their TV sets soon enough.

We will see a final result in the next 5-6 months when the HD market is more than 1 stinking %.



Are Bolckbuster 100% BD forever or is that just here?
__________________
2500K 4.4ghz,P8P67Pro,120gb Force3, 12gb Vengeance,R9290,TX850v2,W7HP,LaCie Blue 22" crt COMMODORE 64 Silver Label 1Mhz/128D 4Mhz(Z80)
XDanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-08, 04:27 PM   #50
nicorulez
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Flo Rida
Posts: 195
Default Re: The End For Blu-Ray?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imbroglio
For a second lets look at the facts, dvd outsells hdm 99:1, say blu-ray is selling 9:1 (we'll over estimate). that's stills 891(dvd):9(bd):1(hddvd), nobody has won nor are even close to winning. mainstream isn't grasping either bd nor hddvd, a new hdm format could step in within the next 6 months and have all studio support (minus sony) and could easily walk away with the HDM market. nothing is over (aside hddvd's possibility of ever walking away with this market)
Lol, imbroglio think for just a second. Investing in a new HD multimedia format requires billions of dollars. Sure, the nVnews users could conceive of a better format than either HD DVD or Blu Ray, but do we have the capitol to back it. This debate is about as rational as the morons who refused to give up their analog televisions and S-video inputs three to four years ago. How many analog non-HD sets are sold now? None unless you live in BFE. Thus, to state that because DVD is winning now that there is no clear winner is asinine. Blu Ray is dominating. Face the facts. It is not even close. Blu Ray is not competing with DVD. DVD will be quite dead in 5 years or so (sorry necroft ??) . Does anyone around here remember when VHS tapes absolutely dominated DVD sales. Guess what, when people with disposable income see HD media on their new shiny televisions the demise for DVD will progress rapidly. For the people with last gen sets there is no reason to go HD (Blu Ray or otherwise). In a few years, the market will change. BTW, what company do you propose is going to come in and seal the doom of Blu Ray and HD DVD. Is it HD Divx lol.
nicorulez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-08, 05:54 PM   #51
npras42
Hi Everybody!
 
npras42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Manchester, UK
Posts: 1,698
Default Re: The End For Blu-Ray?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyme
Phil Harrison said (no I can't find the link) that he doesn't expect nor see a reason for BD players to drop below the $400 mark. The interview was linked on kotaku about a month ago.
I don't believe him then, and that's not just wishful thinking. BD players may never be as cheap as DVD players are now but if they achieve any kind of success they will definitely get to <$100 mark eventually.
npras42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-08, 09:09 PM   #52
Imbroglio
xeroyphyte
 
Imbroglio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 1,271
Default Re: The End For Blu-Ray?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicorulez
Lol, imbroglio think for just a second. Investing in a new HD multimedia format requires billions of dollars. Sure, the nVnews users could conceive of a better format than either HD DVD or Blu Ray, but do we have the capitol to back it. This debate is about as rational as the morons who refused to give up their analog televisions and S-video inputs three to four years ago. How many analog non-HD sets are sold now? None unless you live in BFE. Thus, to state that because DVD is winning now that there is no clear winner is asinine. Blu Ray is dominating. Face the facts. It is not even close. Blu Ray is not competing with DVD. DVD will be quite dead in 5 years or so (sorry necroft ??) . Does anyone around here remember when VHS tapes absolutely dominated DVD sales. Guess what, when people with disposable income see HD media on their new shiny televisions the demise for DVD will progress rapidly. For the people with last gen sets there is no reason to go HD (Blu Ray or otherwise). In a few years, the market will change. BTW, what company do you propose is going to come in and seal the doom of Blu Ray and HD DVD. Is it HD Divx lol.
Just so that we are on the same page, you do realize that Average Joe thinks that upconverting dvds looks "just as good" as HDM. The quality difference between vhs and dvd is not the same to average joe as upconverted dvds and HDM. HDM won't be decided in 5 months, let alone 5 years. it's naive to think otherwise.
__________________

HT: 360 -- Sony60A3000 -- Onkyo SR605 --> Polk cs2, monitor 60s and monitor 40s w/ Bic F12 sub -- PS3
XBL:Mr X3r0 -- PSN:Mr_X3r0

Rig- Asus P6X58D Premium - intel i7 920 @3.6 - EVGA GTX570 - Corsair HX1000 - Prolimatech Mega Shadow - WD640 - COOLER MASTER ATCS 840 - OCZ Gold 6GB DDR3 1600*

Imbroglio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-08, 07:55 AM   #53
nicorulez
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Flo Rida
Posts: 195
Default Re: The End For Blu-Ray?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imbroglio
Just so that we are on the same page, you do realize that Average Joe thinks that upconverting dvds looks "just as good" as HDM. The quality difference between vhs and dvd is not the same to average joe as upconverted dvds and HDM. HDM won't be decided in 5 months, let alone 5 years. it's naive to think otherwise.
LMAO...do you really think DVD players will be around in 5 years. Five years ago people thought that 480i was the bomb. Analog ruled the roost. PS2 and XBox were far superior to most computers. Graphic cards had 64mb of RAM. Hell, George W was still polling alright. If you are naive to enough to believe that an old format such as DVD will be viable you do not understand corporate. Once the HD DVD thing goes away; if you can't smell the writing on the wall you are either a fanboy or own Toshiba stock; Blu Ray players will become as ubiquitous as water. The original DVD player a few years ago was over 1000 dollars. Blu Ray players are already at 350. Do you think that the consortium the supports Blu Ray wil continue to make a product that will essentially give them nil profits (DVD). Remember, Blu Ray is backwards compatible and upconverting also. Here goes:

The Blu-ray Disc format was developed by the Blu-ray Disc Association (BDA), a group of leading consumer electronics, personal computer and media manufacturers, with more than 180 member companies from all over the world. The Board of Directors currently consists of:

Apple Computer, Inc.
Dell Inc.
Hewlett Packard Company
Hitachi, Ltd.
LG Electronics Inc.
Matsu****a Electric Industrial Co., Ltd.
Mitsubishi Electric Corporation
Pioneer Corporation
Royal Philips Electronics
Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd.
Sharp Corporation
Sony Corporation
Sun Microsystems, Inc.
TDK Corporation
Thomson Multimedia
Twentieth Century Fox
Walt Disney Pictures
Warner Bros. Entertainment

Look at the manufacturers. LG, Sony, Mitsibushi, Pioneer, etc...think about who manufacturers DVD players and Blu Ray players. Oh well, believe what you will my friend.
nicorulez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-08, 10:52 AM   #54
Lyme
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 2,682
Default Re: The End For Blu-Ray?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imbroglio
Just so that we are on the same page, you do realize that Average Joe thinks that upconverting dvds looks "just as good" as HDM. The quality difference between vhs and dvd is not the same to average joe as upconverted dvds and HDM. HDM won't be decided in 5 months, let alone 5 years. it's naive to think otherwise.
I will agree that many cannot easily tell the difference between the HD formats for dvd from the regular DVD, unless you put them side by side. Plus many simply have no want to go out and buy a $200 or more dvd player when theirs works just fine. In addition to the higher prices for the HD format dvd's. And no matter what the studio's think, only the movie affictionado's are going to go out and replace their whole collection of DVD's with HD replacements. The DVD's work fine in the new players, and they get upsampled to a acceptable quality.

The "only" way a HD format will "win" is if studio's stop producing regular DVD's, and I'm sure everyone here knows the is no way in hell that is going to happen any time soon.
Lyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-08, 11:01 AM   #55
Lyme
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 2,682
Default Re: The End For Blu-Ray?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicorulez
Do you think that the consortium the supports Blu Ray wil continue to make a product that will essentially give them nil profits (DVD).
Ha, ha.. hahahahahahaaha

http://www.businessweek.com/magazine...8/b3942101.htm
http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20050402-4767.html
http://money.cnn.com/2007/02/07/news...ings/index.htm

DVD makes huge profits for the studios, and there are a lot more links I can use to backup my position. You however, need to stop making things up.
Lyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-08, 01:02 PM   #56
nicorulez
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Flo Rida
Posts: 195
Default Re: The End For Blu-Ray?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyme
Ha, ha.. hahahahahahaaha

http://www.businessweek.com/magazine...8/b3942101.htm
http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20050402-4767.html
http://money.cnn.com/2007/02/07/news...ings/index.htm

DVD makes huge profits for the studios, and there are a lot more links I can use to backup my position. You however, need to stop making things up.

Did you read my post? I am talking about five years down. If you actually think DVD will be dominant then I got a tape player I want to sell you. Better yet, you probably still jam to your 8 track player lol. Get back to me in 2013 my friend and see who is correct. I would bet the house on myself. BTW, do you even work in the electronics industry. Googling a few links hardly represents insight and knowledge.
nicorulez is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-24-08, 01:49 PM   #57
mumstheword
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 509
Default Re: The End For Blu-Ray?

I think i'm starting to agree with Imbriglios argument that streaming movies is the next big thing and may be the victor in the HD wars;

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...-sales-plummet
__________________
q6600@3.0ghz
8800GTS-320mb 650/1000
4gb ram
mumstheword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-08, 06:57 PM   #58
nicorulez
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Flo Rida
Posts: 195
Default Re: The End For Blu-Ray?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumstheword
I think i'm starting to agree with Imbriglios argument that streaming movies is the next big thing and may be the victor in the HD wars;

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...-sales-plummet
I don't the streaming HD video is at 1080p yet. However, it will definitely be popular. I believe that there will always be a place for AV philes who want to physically own the movie. For instance, STEAM kicks ass, but it has not usurped completely the brick and mortar PC game industry. I think part of the nice part of owning a movie versus streaming it (even to harddrive) is easy access whenever you want. Now if broadband increases as it has been doing, and it is instantaneous to get even 1080p and you can indefinitely re-download the movie if you purchased it; only then will I agree with your argument. Until then, Blu Ray (or whatever) will be viable.
nicorulez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-08, 07:38 PM   #59
Lyme
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 2,682
Default Re: The End For Blu-Ray?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicorulez
Googling a few links hardly represents insight and knowledge.
True it doesn't, however it gives substance to a position, of which you have given nothing other than conjecture.
Lyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-08, 11:44 PM   #60
ViN86
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 15,486
Default Re: The End For Blu-Ray?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicorulez
LMAO...do you really think DVD players will be around in 5 years. Five years ago people thought that 480i was the bomb. Analog ruled the roost. PS2 and XBox were far superior to most computers. Graphic cards had 64mb of RAM. Hell, George W was still polling alright. If you are naive to enough to believe that an old format such as DVD will be viable you do not understand corporate. Once the HD DVD thing goes away; if you can't smell the writing on the wall you are either a fanboy or own Toshiba stock; Blu Ray players will become as ubiquitous as water. The original DVD player a few years ago was over 1000 dollars. Blu Ray players are already at 350. Do you think that the consortium the supports Blu Ray wil continue to make a product that will essentially give them nil profits (DVD). Remember, Blu Ray is backwards compatible and upconverting also. Here goes:

"SWORD OF OMENS, GIVE ME SIGHT BEYOND SIGHT!"



nice to see you pulled out the crystal ball for this post. 99% of the **** you spewed was speculation.
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Base mosaic and rotation? happyfunbot NVIDIA Linux 5 07-13-12 12:23 PM
Science fiction author Ray Bradbury dead at 91 News Archived News Items 0 06-06-12 01:50 PM
Billionaire Ray Dalio's Tech Pick News Archived News Items 0 05-21-12 05:00 PM
nvidia: RT @gpuscience: #GPU ray tracing myths #GTC12 http://t.co/POiwDhtb (via @biag News Archived News Items 0 05-14-12 09:00 PM

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:09 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2014, nV News.